• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Airtevron1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 10, 2019
    IN
    Been looking at PT-92's, newest variation. Has big T improved any in quality recently? Had some bad ones in the past but the new ones look sharp.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I know the new model series (G series) that they're making are a lot better than the old ones.

However, I don't know about the new pistols of the older generation/series (PT series).

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Been looking at PT-92's, newest variation. Has big T improved any in quality recently? Had some bad ones in the past but the new ones look sharp.
    I know you said new ones, but I'd say the PT-92's/99's of the past were some of their most reliable. Hopefully the current mfg of these models are just as reliable.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    The Taurus version of the venerable Beretta 92 seems to be among the more reliable of the Taurus line, probably because they copied a very well designed pistol to start. Using Beretta tooling didn't hurt either. They also put the safety where many Beretta owners wish Beretta would do.

The only problem I have had with a Taurus is a PT111 Millennium Pro that shot perfectly left to right but if you sighted on a target at say 25 yards, the round would hit the ground at about the 15 yard mark. So as a throw away carry pistol I just remember to either hold the front sight way above the rear or just aim for the top of the bad guy's head. ;)

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    My Taurus copy of the Beretta has about 6,500 rds down range. When I got it, I absolutely shot the worst garbage loads in it intending to break it. After that didn't happen, I shot Hirtenberger +P+ 100gr PSP at 1,750fps out of it. That didn't do Jack Crap to it. I cleaned it well with Butch's Bore Shine and tried normal factory ammo. Still shot like a champ. My wife shot it bullseye style for a bit as she only has a 22 S&W 622 and a S&W M&P 38. She did okay but decided she didn't like it. I ran it in a one day class and it did fine. I got no complaints about the quality, accuracy or durability. It is now relegated to the back of the safe these days.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I’m still wanting another PT 99/92, and I have stated before, that Taurus has seriously upped it’s quality game, so much so, that I own several now ( unthinkable a while ago….

pmbiker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    Corn & Bean
    I know they're better than in the past..... but I won't touch one.

After watching one 454 raging bull launch the barrel down range.....then a pt92 wear the frame rails clean through.....I'm out. These failures were both witnessed by me(not my guns) back in the early 2000's.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I know they're better than in the past..... but I won't touch one.

After watching one 454 raging bull launch the barrel down range.....then a pt92 wear the frame rails clean through.....I'm out. These failures were both witnessed by me(not my guns) back in the early 2000's.
    I've seen pics of a Super Redhawk that had the cylinder blown in half.
    I've also seen pics of S&W revolvers that had launched barrels downrange.

If it's made by a human, chances are good that soo er or later you'll find a lemon.

YMMV

pmbiker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    Corn & Bean
    When you hear about a lemon, that's one thing. When 2 lemons turn to juice, and you witness both.....that'll turn you off from a brand.

Like I said, they may have come a long way in the last 20 years but at that time 100% of the Taurus firearms that I had come into contact with were junk. Not one out of 20......2 of 2.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    When you hear about a lemon, that's one thing. When 2 lemons turn to juice, and you witness both.....that'll turn you off from a brand.

Like I said, they may have come a long way in the last 20 years but at that time 100% of the Taurus firearms that I had come into contact with were junk. Not one out of 20......2 of 2.
    To each their own...

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central

I'm right there with you, except I didn't just witness it, I owned them. So I got to deal with the debacle that was their customer service department as well. I've also since that time fixed a few with similar issues that were brought to me by friends and family, so I know my experience wasn't unique. I swore them off and said never again.

Recently, I've been hearing a lot of people say they're getting it together. I shot one a couple of months back that was decent, and the guys at the gun shop are telling me they aren't seeing many come back like they used to (although I never fully believe somebody who's trying to sell me something!). I'm cautiously optimistic that they've improved, if not quite ready yet to put my own wallet to the test with them. It also doesn't help their case that in the years since they screwed me, I've satisfied most of my revolver needs with S&Ws and a couple of Rugers, all of which have been supurb, so there's not many roles left to fill.

I do appreciate that Taurus seems to offer a wide variety of sizes and chamberings. The 856 is interesting as a 6-shot almost J-frame size gun, and the convertible 692 with the quick-release cylinder in .357/.38 and 9mm is also kind of interesting (Diamondback just announced something similar in a J-Frame-sized gun at SHOT). The one I'm most likely to actually buy is the 905 J-Frame size in 9mm, just because I want a 9mm revolver to play around with, but I'd have to find one really cheap to get me to jump.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    My LGS won't even stock Taurus guns anymore. They haven't for about 2 years. Manager told me he got sick of having customers bring them back in needing repairs and Taurus not responding to emails for RMAs

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    1707411988738.jpeg

I should mention that. Beretta 92 derived Taurus pistols are made on machinery Beretta was nice enough to leave behind.
    Same thing with the 22 tip up barrel pistols.

Beretta literally left behind drawings, tooling, machinery and an experienced workforce. (Beretta had set up a factory there in 1974)

Taurus never moved the safety to the slide like Beretta did, so the PT92 safety is still like the original Beretta

The PT92 is still the Brazilian service pistol

However, anything ELSE Taurus isn't built on quality left behind Italian grade machinery.. and that is the JUNK.
    Buy a PT92 with confidence, don't buy any other Taurus (outside the tip up barrel 22)

You can also occasionally find Brazil made Beretta in the US.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    However, anything ELSE Taurus isn't built on quality left behind Italian grade machinery.. and that is the JUNK.
    Buy a PT92 with confidence, don't buy any other Taurus (outside the tip up barrel 22)
    The tip up barrel like this one? Chris didn't have any good luck at all with his. Even the magazine blew apart

Start at 13:44

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I would not buy a Taurus semi-auto for serious purposes. I would be hesitant to buy a Taurus revolver for serious purposes.

For serious purpose guns, I want:
    1) Proven track record out of the box. I get every machine can, and does, break. But not all at equal rates.
    2) Easy and cheap logisitics. Can I readily get magazines, spare recoil assemblies and other wear parts, holsters suitable for the intended purpose, etc.
    3) Ergonomics that don't suck. If there's a control (safety, decocker, slide release, etc), is it large enough, placed in an intuitive position, and having positive engagement in both positions? Is the texture such that it gives a good purchase but doesn't cheese grate my hands or clothing? That sort of thing.
    4) A cost and availability that I can readily have an exact duplicate for training and can pick up another copy with little to no notice.

For plinking or playing or just having, whatever strokes your goat/bull/screaming chicken thingy.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I've had good experience with a Taurus Model 44 6.5"
    Thousands of 44mag rounds through it.
    I took it in awhile back had my gunsmith check it. He said it had normal wear for a high rd count revolver.
    I wonder how many people have shot their S&W, or Ruger thousands of rds with full power 44mag ammunition?
    I got it around 1992 IIRC.

Top Bottom