• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I've been considering picking up another Ruger LCR since I sold my old one to a friend on here. But the kicker is I've been looking at the .327 mag version. 6 shots in a snubby I can pocket carry is pretty neat and. 327 is slightly more potent than 9mm (depending on load from what I've been reading) and notably more potent than .38 spl. Just looking for something I can toss in my pocket while going on walks with the family and such when I don't feel like carrying something heavier. .327 mag is pretty expensive and kinda hard to find so that is a big downside with limited loadings for SD. But 6 rounds in a snubby is, for whatever reason, an appealing idea. I know we got some .32 fans on here.

What does INGO think? Anyone have experience with. 327 mag?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Real short version, the "potency" difference is minimal. Light and fast makes impressive energy numbers but doesn't tell you what that energy is used to do. Wounding potential is what we care about, and you can split the hairs either way but *I* would rather carry .38 wadcutters or .38+P Gold dots or similar than .327. I do, however, see the value in a decreased recoil in a round with still-reasonable terminal ballistics. What I would refer to as an 'old guy gun' for those with arthritis, missing fingers from misspent 4ths, etc. If you're not a reloader and your hands are healthy, I'd lean .38 but much like I'd lean Sofia Vergara over Hanna Waddingham. No bad choice.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Real short version, the "potency" difference is minimal. Light and fast makes impressive energy numbers but doesn't tell you what that energy is used to do. Wounding potential is what we care about, and you can split the hairs either way but *I* would rather carry .38 wadcutters or .38+P Gold dots or similar than .327. I do, however, see the value in a decreased recoil in a round with still-reasonable terminal ballistics. What I would refer to as an 'old guy gun' for those with arthritis, missing fingers from misspent 4ths, etc. If you're not a reloader and your hands are healthy, I'd lean .38 but much like I'd lean Sofia Vergara over Hanna Waddingham. No bad choice.
    There was a old 38 Special police load IIRC it was a 200gr bullet. Slow but heavy and had good penetration.

Have you heard of it? It might have been before your time.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    There was a old 38 Special police load IIRC it was a 200gr bullet. Slow but heavy and had good penetration.

Have you heard of it? It might have been before your time.

Definitely before my time as an adult, but I'm familiar with it. Kind of a niche round that was able to exploit the .38's larger-than-necessary-for-modern-powder case volume and a heavier bullet that was slow enough in longer barrels to take advantage of it. Shorter barrels wasted the powder and typically had issues stabilizing the bullet. It died out for good reason but is a neat thing to tinker with as a reloader if you're into that sort of thing.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Definitely before my time as an adult, but I'm familiar with it. Kind of a niche round that was able to exploit the .38's larger-than-necessary-for-modern-powder case volume and a heavier bullet that was slow enough in longer barrels to take advantage of it. Shorter barrels wasted the powder and typically had issues stabilizing the bullet. It died out for good reason but is a neat thing to tinker with as a reloader if you're into that sort of thing.
    I seen some ballistic gel tests. Avg fps 600
    The penetration was 17"-19".
    That was out of a 4" or 5" barrel IIRC.
    Thanks for answering the next question which was how did they do in snub nose revolvers.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I've been considering picking up another Ruger LCR since I sold my old one to a friend on here. But the kicker is I've been looking at the .327 mag version. 6 shots in a snubby I can pocket carry is pretty neat and. 327 is slightly more potent than 9mm (depending on load from what I've been reading) and notably more potent than .38 spl. Just looking for something I can toss in my pocket while going on walks with the family and such when I don't feel like carrying something heavier. .327 mag is pretty expensive and kinda hard to find so that is a big downside with limited loadings for SD. But 6 rounds in a snubby is, for whatever reason, an appealing idea. I know we got some .32 fans on here.

I would never try to talk a person out of buying a gun. I say get it if you want it. ;)
    I will say, I am a horrible enabler and have buddies who refuse to go to gun stores with me now.

CB1911

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 27, 2018
    Putnam County
    No experience with 327 magnum but I do own/reload 32 Magnum. 32 mags should work great in the Ruger 327 LCR and are a lower recoil option. For me pocket carry/walks the lighter the better. S&W 340PD is my choice with 38 specials.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    This is the reason I'm struggling with it. I know .327 isn't *that* much more "powerful" than 9mm. So I'm considering getting a 9mm revolver just because I already stockpile 9mm. I have no other revolvers except an Enfield .32 S&W top break my dad gave me. Which is what got me looking into .32 caliber guns in the first place. But then crimp jump, even though unlikely, is a potential issue. I don't know. I may just stick with what I have and find a more comfortable holster

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    Don't do it. My ultralight Off Duty and 442 can be fed for $24 for a box of good SD ammo. I am not limited to 5 rounds either. Lots of companys make quite excellent ammo strips. I have 3 5-round and 4 8-round stips. They are faster than speed loaders because the work really well on little guns. I like the ballistics of .32mag, just not the cost. Oh, BTW, I am a 32 fan. My 32 carry is a Keltec P32. About 20 years old, and 1000 rounds and it still functions like new.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    No experience with 327 magnum but I do own/reload 32 Magnum. 32 mags should work great in the Ruger 327 LCR and are a lower recoil option. For me pocket carry/walks the lighter the better. S&W 340PD is my choice with 38 specials.
    Looked at the Smith's and owned a 640 for a while. Kinda wish I hadn't sold it, but that's another story. Went for a short hike with the family yesterday and left the P365 in the truck because I didn't want to apendix carry it and a spare mag through the woods all day. A revolver in the pocket would be more than enough in that situation I feel. Plus I've been considering getting another snubby for a while. I like the Kimber K6 but $$$ and weight.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Don't do it. My ultralight Off Duty and 442 can be fed for $24 for a box of good SD ammo. I am not limited to 5 rounds either. Lots of companys make quite excellent ammo strips. I have 3 5-round and 4 8-round stips. They are faster than speed loaders because the work really well on little guns. I like the ballistics of .32mag, just not the cost. Oh, BTW, I am a 32 fan. My 32 carry is a Keltec P32. About 20 years old, and 1000 rounds and it still functions like new.
    And this is the best reason not to get into .32 caliber. It's just crazy expensive.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Everybody is different, but I can appendix carry a GP100 4" comfortably while hiking. I did swap out the monster Match Champion grips for compacts, though. Appendix is the absolute hardest to get right and is much more gear sensitive, slight position change sensitive, and why-did-I-order-a-milk-shake sensitive of all the carry positions. I occasionally AIWB carry the LCR for out of town trips when more concealment is more better, but honestly a 3"+ barrel is easier as resists tipping out easier.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out

Don't get one.

Did it work?

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Everybody is different, but I can appendix carry a GP100 4" comfortably while hiking. I did swap out the monster Match Champion grips for compacts, though. Appendix is the absolute hardest to get right and is much more gear sensitive, slight position change sensitive, and why-did-I-order-a-milk-shake sensitive of all the carry positions. I occasionally AIWB carry the LCR for out of town trips when more concealment is more better, but honestly a 3"+ barrel is easier as resists tipping out easier.
    Yeah I'm on I think the third AIWB holster for my 365. Mine is an XL so the longer barrel does help tipping. But you are right about being the most position/gear sensitive method for carrying. I'm not a big guy but I'm heavier than I was in college that's for sure and I feel it on woods walks especially. I used to spend all day in the woods with either a full sized 1911 or Ruger GP100 4" on my hip and never notice.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County

Did see a LCR in .327 when I was picking up my 75th anniversary Mark IV last Saturday. I was not interested in adding another caliber.

Top Bottom