• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    I really like the Fobus, and it will probably be the hoster I get, but was wondering what you have to say. The Blackhawk is quite popular, but I don't want to have to push a button. Also I like that the Fobus has a more open top front for easy extraction. So for tactical purposes what is your favorite holster?

boosteds13cc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Lowell
    blackhawk is what i have, its not like pushing a button as u think, your finger there pressing it kinda helps and no one could get it out unless they do that, and it kinda trains your finger to be right on the trigger when bringing the gun up to shoot

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    trains your finger to be right on the trigger when bringing the gun up to shoot

And this is how firearms discharge when un-holstering them. Does the Blackhawk help facilitate having your trigger finger in a "ready" postion? Yes. Should your finger be on the trigger when un-holstering the pistol? Heck No.

I don't have one, yet, but the best "tactical" holsters out there, hands down, are the Raven Concealment Holsters.

Raven Concealment Systems

There are also several clones/copies/whatevers of Raven holsters, just Google search "Kydex holsters".

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    Raven Holsters are great. Seriously. I have one but they're pricey though. I've have had a kydex holster made recently by Bryan Mills out of Fishers and it is quite comparable for much less. You might check him out.

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    Raven Holsters are great. Seriously. I have one but they're pricey though. I've have had a kydex holster made recently by Bryan Mills out of Fishers and it is quite comparable for much less. You might check him out.

Can you PM his info.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    What, in your mind, are "tactical purposes"?

If you're talking about a security or duty-type holster, I like the Safariland ALS series.

I currently have an ALS inbound and I intend to write a detailed report once I get it. That said, I also usually run a Raven for OWB carry and they are great. No offense to the OP but Fobus holsters have zero appeal or usefulness to me.:twocents:

selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    We shoot tactical scenarios, like hall way scenarios, room infiltration just different types of situations we might encounter in real life. I want a holster I can bring my pistol out of quickly and bring my poa quickly. I want something that is going to be easy with a good reaction time and smooth draw from the holster. No struggling to get a snap undone or the holster coming up with the gun while I'm extracting it. Good barrel clearance ect...

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    We shoot tactical scenarios, like hall way scenarios, room infiltration just different types of situations we might encounter in real life. I want a holster I can bring my pistol out of quickly and bring my poa quickly. I want something that is going to be easy with a good reaction time and smooth draw from the holster. No struggling to get a snap undone or the holster coming up with the gun while I'm extracting it. Good barrel clearance ect...
    Then the fobus is not for you. I have watched my step dad pull his holster out of his pants many times with his fobus. He took it to a class (Front sight) and we ended up heating the dimple in the trigger guard and pushing it out to allow for clean draws. The fobus is seriously the biggest piece of crap i have ever seen. I would never waste my money on one. I have a Blackhawk and it is okay, but they can fail (the unlocking mech) and therefore don't rate too high on my scale.
    For OWB nothing beats a Raven IMHO
    I even use my Raven IWB w/o problems.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    What, in your mind, are "tactical purposes"?

If you're talking about a security or duty-type holster, I like the Safariland ALS series.

Those are great for Glocks and M&Ps (I have one for M&P). I also have a Blade-Tech ThumbDrive, and I like the ALS better (although the ThumbDrive's belt attachment is vastly superior).

It's a problem for 1911s and my raccoon hands, though. There is an extra "shield" of the holster material that looks to be intended to protect the thumb safetey from being swiped "off" during the draw, but it succeeds in preventing me from getting a firing grip and still be able to release the gun with my thumb. I'm thinking of cutting that part from the holster.

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    Those are great for Glocks and M&Ps (I have one for M&P). I also have a Blade-Tech ThumbDrive, and I like the ALS better (although the ThumbDrive's belt attachment is vastly superior).

It's a problem for 1911s and my raccoon hands, though. There is an extra "shield" of the holster material that looks to be intended to protect the thumb safetey from being swiped "off" during the draw, but it succeeds in preventing me from getting a firing grip and still be able to release the gun with my thumb. I'm thinking of cutting that part from the holster.

That's good to know. I've been fishing around for a 1911 tactical holster, and was thinking about getting the ALS.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    That's good to know. I've been fishing around for a 1911 tactical holster, and was thinking about getting the ALS.

It might work for you. They're inexpensive, so I say give it a try if you need the retention feature.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    This is getting good huh?

How about if everyone lets us know all of the options they have personally tried even if only for a short time.

The more info the better..

I could also use any suggestions of good and bad features so that you one can get a total feel for what would make a good or a bad holster.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I've tried:

1. Blackhawk SERPA
    2. Blade-Tech/5.11 Thumb Drive
    3. Safariland ALS

The Blackhawk SERPA is cheaply made and fragile. The belt loop is unacceptably fragile, so I had a better one made by a Kydex bender. Lots of verified reports of the lock malfunctioning so that the gun won't come out without cutting the holster apart, although it never happened to me. The level III version for "duty" use is a lot more robust in terms of the holster body and its connection to the belt.

The Thumb Drive is built like a tank and a very interesting idea. My issue with it is that my thumb is too short to reliably push the release far enough as I get my firing grip, so I got a wedgie more often than not when trying to draw quickly. Someone with longer thumbs/fingers would probably find it to be an excellent choice.

The Safariland holsters with ALS I've tried have been well built in terms of the holster body and the lock/release mechanism, but I remain unconvinced the belt loop is strong enough. I'd like to see that improved. In terms of the release, it's the easiest and most intuitive to use among the three mechanisms. I have no problem (with an M&P) getting the gun about as quickly as do with a holster with no active retention features. I'm still working on a the 1911 version for reasons mentioned about, but it has promise.

My primary reason for wanting an active retention mechanism on my holster is for open carry, especially if I find myself in a crowd that I did not expect.

Toole

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 31, 2008
    Noblesville
    I've only had real personal experience with a BlackHawk Serpa and Fobus for a waist holster. The Fobus was a ***** to get the pistol out of 99% of the time. I have personally never had a problem with my Serpa and would recommend it for general tactical carry to anyone. Easy in/Easy out.

Only a side note, as others have mentioned, the Serpa retention mechanism is easily broken as I have been through two of them out here. I'm sure it doesn't help that when I have it on my plate carrier my M4 hits it from time to time.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Brandonki
    Top Bottom