• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Jim Floyd said: "In reading the replies, I am curious (and concerned) why there is tendency in this scenario to give up and prepare to die? I am going to attribute it to either a lack of knowledge or incorrect perception"

That why my reply was EXACTLY as I meant it. It took me less than 10 seconds to think of the reply, it took me less than 3 seconds actually. That is my standard reponse to a gunfight. Staying in the fight and keeping my head on a swivel are more important than plugging holes at that point. Solve the tactical problem first, get ready to fight again, communicate and then treat wounds. It all only takes seconds.

The "give up and die" seems to be a common thread. bro.

I think I'm a little offended by your implication. Treating wounds is not giving up.

Even for you, I presume there's a point where you stop being "in the fight" and start plugging holes, or do you just let yourself bleed out, or have your lungs collapse because your chest cavity fills with air from a sucking chest wound?

Also, I don't see the "get ready to meet my maker" posts as necessarily giving up. I had a wisecrack about "bend over, put my head between my legs, and kiss my ass goodbye" in my original reply which I deleted before posting. But for a person of faith (NB: I'm not) recognizing that this could be it, and it might be a good time for anything one wants to say to ones deity, any repentance one wants to get out of the way, etc., is not giving up either.

One part of recognizing ones own mortality is the realization that a particular incident "could be it."

Case in point. A good many years ago, when I was still young and foolish (one might argue about the second point, but I am most certainly not young any more ;) ), I had just done some work on a motorcycle and opened it up on the road to "see what she'll do." Well, she'd "do" was over 105 when I hit high speed wheel wobbles which jerked the bar out of my hands and catapulted me into the road in front of the bike.

The only thought that crossed my mind as I went over the bars was "I'm dead." However, that wasn't a "give up." In fact, I did everything I could to make that expectation not happen. Mostly it involved keeping my body as limp as I could and waiting it out while I rolled and tumbled, tumbled and rolled, and then tumbled some more (that seemed to go on forever) before I finally came to a stop in the median.

I shakily pulled myself to my feet and limped over (some pain in my knee) to inspect the bike. Not driveable then, but a new front brake master cylinder, a new handlebar, and a new right mirror would be all that it required. (That old Suzuki was tough.) I ended up on crutches for a week from twisting my right knee. (I healed pretty fast in those days.)

The upshot was that although I had a recognition that that could have been it, I could be on the way to see if there really was an afterlife* (or not, as the case may be), but that was a far cry from "giving up."

So you might want to be a tad careful about the assumptions you make about what people mean.

*You know, maybe I was killed then and this is the afterlife. In which case, I am very disappointed. ;)

JimFloyd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I think I'm a little offended by your implication. Treating wounds is not giving up.

Even for you, I presume there's a point where you stop being "in the fight" and start plugging holes, or do you just let yourself bleed out, or have your lungs collapse because your chest cavity fills with air from a sucking chest wound?

Also, I don't see the "get ready to meet my maker" posts as necessarily giving up. I had a wisecrack about "bend over, put my head between my legs, and kiss my ass goodbye" in my original reply which I deleted before posting. But for a person of faith (NB: I'm not) recognizing that this could be it, and it might be a good time for anything one wants to say to ones deity, any repentance one wants to get out of the way, etc., is not giving up either.

One part of recognizing ones own mortality is the realization that a particular incident "could be it."

Case in point. A good many years ago, when I was still young and foolish (one might argue about the second point, but I am most certainly not young any more ;) ), I had just done some work on a motorcycle and opened it up on the road to "see what she'll do." Well, she'd "do" was over 105 when I hit high speed wheel wobbles which jerked the bar out of my hands and catapulted me into the road in front of the bike.

The only thought that crossed my mind as I went over the bars was "I'm dead." However, that wasn't a "give up." In fact, I did everything I could to make that expectation not happen. Mostly it involved keeping my body as limp as I could and waiting it out while I rolled and tumbled, tumbled and rolled, and then tumbled some more (that seemed to go on forever) before I finally came to a stop in the median.

I shakily pulled myself to my feet and limped over (some pain in my knee) to inspect the bike. Not driveable then, but a new front brake master cylinder, a new handlebar, and a new right mirror would be all that it required. (That old Suzuki was tough.) I ended up on crutches for a week from twisting my right knee. (I healed pretty fast in those days.)

The upshot was that although I had a recognition that that could have been it, I could be on the way to see if there really was an afterlife* (or not, as the case may be), but that was a far cry from "giving up."

So you might want to be a tad careful about the assumptions you make about what people mean.

*You know, maybe I was killed then and this is the afterlife. In which case, I am very disappointed. ;)

Sorry, but I am unclear... do I understand correctly that "I" offended you? If so, I apologize as that was far from my intent. I was not referring to treating wounds as giving up, but more to the point of a general tone of "if I am shot in the left chest I am going to die." Of course my real point here was to elicit more discussion and share a point of view.

Regards,

Jim

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Sorry, but I am unclear... do I understand correctly that "I" offended you? If so, I apologize as that was far from my intent. I was not referring to treating wounds as giving up, but more to the point of a general tone of "if I am shot in the left chest I am going to die." Of course my real point here was to elicit more discussion and share a point of view.

Regards,

Jim

No, it was not you who I found a bit offensive. I think you may have been overassuming on the "give up" side, but nowhere near the line to "offensive."

It was WETSU's lumping in "treat wounds" with "giving up" that I was bothered by.

JimFloyd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Indianapolis
    No, it was not you who I found a bit offensive. I think you may have been overassuming on the "give up" side, but nowhere near the line to "offensive."

It was WETSU's lumping in "treat wounds" with "giving up" that I was bothered by.

Ok... just wanted to make sure David.

Regards,

Jim

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne

Nor did I intend to be a dick with my comment. Those two concepts-giving up and treating wounds are NOT the same thing. Treating a wound IS part of getting ready to fight again.

Whne I want to be offensive. You will know it.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Nor did I intend to be a dick with my comment. Those two concepts-giving up and treating wounds are NOT the same thing. Treating a wound IS part of getting ready to fight again.

Whne I want to be offensive. You will know it.

One doesn't have to want to be offensive to be so. Mind you, I could also have been simply primed by the sequence leading up to the specific comments so that I was excessively sensitive to them.

As for the "preparing to meet ones maker" comments that others have made, here's an example:

Some years ago I read a wonderful book "A warrior who fought Custer"--a compilation of interviews with a Cheyenne by the name of Wooden Leg (so named for the way he could walk anybody else into the ground) who was a participant at the Battle of Little Big Horn. One of the things he talked about was that the resplendent costume and "war paint" that the Cheyenne wore into battle was specifically in preparation against the possibility of their death--preparing to meet their maker.

While as a society they were doomed, one thing the Cheyenne were not noted for as individual warriors was a tendency to give up.

Preparing to meet one's maker and giving up are not necessarily the same thing.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    dburkhead said: "Preparing to meet one's maker and giving up are not necessarily the same thing"

I agree 100%. I have had my bags packed for a long time, ready to go home when called. That doesn't mean I want to get on the bus right now.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    dburkhead said: "Preparing to meet one's maker and giving up are not necessarily the same thing"

I agree 100%. I have had my bags packed for a long time, ready to go home when called. That doesn't mean I want to get on the bus right now.

Ah, but are you so sure of the content of those bags that you might not want to do some last minute packing in a situation where the bus might (not necessarily is, just might) be leaving a little early? A situation where you're alone, with a gunshot wound in the chest, and help being an undetermined time away (an "average" is just that a stream with an average depth of 2" can still have a hole where the water's over your head).

A quick check of the bags, while doing ones best to be sure that one isn't getting on the bus this time, is only rational if one is a person of faith.

Call it contingency planning. ;)

BTW, one of the things I've gotten from this is that I need to dig out my wilderness medicine books. They are good for "what to do" stuff dealing with injuries when you're really on your own.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Or get to one of Jim Floyd's classes. It looks like he's doing good work here in Indiana on gunshot wounds and trauma, in addition to wilderness and austere 1st aid.

Money well spent IMO.

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    SITUATION: You are a legally armed citizen who has been involved in a defensive lethal force situation in which you have shot the attacker multiple times and he is down. However, you have been shot once in the left chest. You are bleeding heavily and are having difficulty with breathing. You have no supplies other than what you normally carry on you and are 150 feet from your vehicle. You recall that the average response time for an ambulance in Indiana is over 6 minutes.

* my emphasis in bold

RE: the 'stay in the fight' comments above. Based upon the bolded portion of the quote, my take on this is the fight is over. There is one attacker, you've perforated him pretty good, and he's not moving. Now is the time for plugging the hole(s) in your body and waiting on the cavalry to arrive.

Also, many, including myself, have mentioned praying. Just to be clear, I'm not praying for myself. My bags are packed, I've got no regrets, I'll get on the bus when it comes. Having said that, if my ticket is punched, I'm leaving behind a family. They are the reason for the prayer.

JimFloyd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Indianapolis
    dburkhead wrote: "BTW, one of the things I've gotten from this is that I need to dig out my wilderness medicine books. They are good for "what to do" stuff dealing with injuries when you're really on your own."

Outstanding!... that means my purpose for creating and posting this scenario and subsequent comments was accomplished. Thanks! :)

Regards,

Jim

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    One reason for me saying to pray is. Walking or doing any activity will lead to increased body function thus putting more strain on an already compromised system. Heavy breathing will accelerate the rate at which a pneumothorax (air in the chest cavity) or worse yet a hemopneumothorax (Liquid in the chest cavity. ie: blood) will cause problems even death if serious enough or goes untreated. Keeping calm and doing as little as possible will be best, and praying usually does not accelerate any body functions but does alot of good otherwise. The threat is eliminated, and walking around or back to a vehicle is and un-needed venture at this time inthis scenario. This may change in different situations and walking or even running if the body is capable may be a have-to in a different setting to get medical help.

Not trying to debate this, but added this for clarification

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    One doesn't have to want to be offensive to be so. Mind you, I could also have been simply primed by the sequence leading up to the specific comments so that I was excessively sensitive to them.

As for the "preparing to meet ones maker" comments that others have made, here's an example:

Some years ago I read a wonderful book "A warrior who fought Custer"--a compilation of interviews with a Cheyenne by the name of Wooden Leg (so named for the way he could walk anybody else into the ground) who was a participant at the Battle of Little Big Horn. One of the things he talked about was that the resplendent costume and "war paint" that the Cheyenne wore into battle was specifically in preparation against the possibility of their death--preparing to meet their maker.

While as a society they were doomed, one thing the Cheyenne were not noted for as individual warriors was a tendency to give up.

Preparing to meet one's maker and giving up are not necessarily the same thing.

Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam, David? ;)

Blessings,
    Bill

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I have no idea what you just said so I'll just assume it was fawning adoration. ;)

Um... not exactly. :): That's supposed to be the Klingonese translation of "Today is a good day to die", a phrase used by at least one Native American tribe (Edit: Sioux) prior to battle. It's not fatalistic, but rather an acknowledgement that "I've lived a good life. I have no regrets. If today is my time, then so be it."

It struck me as a very similar idea to that which you stated.

Blessings,
    Bill

Last edited:

DemolitionMan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Avon, IN
    I'm pretty sure the 10 second issue is just the amount of time you're supposed to spend thinking about it, not "what would you do in the next 10 seconds".

So for me it would be about priorities.

1) Ensure there is no other threat. Most likely this would simply involve a quick scan of the area and another hard look at the BG. To me that is more important than the bleeding wound because while you're doing first aid you're extremely vulnerable. If there are more BG's, you're in a lot of trouble. That might be the only time I'd head for the car because at least I'd have some cover to do quick first aid.

2) Assuming all is clear, get help. If someone is nearby tell them to call 911. If not, call 911 myself, put it on speaker while I...

3) Get out a knife and hack off some clothing to stop the bleeding. I'd certainly rather have the stuff in the first aid kit in my truck, but 100 feet is a long way with this kind of injury and you could make things a lot worse. If someone happens to be available to help by then, tell them where the first aid kit is and ask for a coat or blanket.

4) Lay down. If possible, elevate my feet. Try very hard to calm my breathing and therefore blood pressure.

5) Wait for help. Do whatever 911 tells me to do. Mention to them that I have a gun and that I'm a GG...so please ask the nice police officers not to shoot me when they get there.

6) Pray. I'd be praying more for strength and help in hanging on than repenting. Oh I have lots to repent for, but I'd much rather be alive to do that so I'd be asking for any help I could get!

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    assess wound and move toward car

I would assess and treat my chest wound, using my own clothing as a direct pressure bandage. I would then call 911 for an ambulance and wait in my car while keeping an eye on the assailant. If the assailant gets up an leaves I make mental note of it, if he comes toward me I aim as soon as there is a distinct enough pattern to shoot at and order him to stop. If he stops, I tell him an ambulance is on the way and to not move, if he does not stop I fire on him again.

Top Bottom