• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TRL

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2010
    Hendricks Co.
    Currently have a 10/22 target with stainless heavy barrel and may be interested in something that will be able to shoot in bench match, silhouette, small game, and paper punching. What would you recomend/suggest. looking for either upgrade the 10/22 or something in bolt action under $300 to $500.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Take your 10/22 look at the KIDD trigger group (if you buy the internals and put them into your housing it'll save $$) put a KIDD Barrel on, then put about $500 into good glass, and $70 into Appleseed. Going to small game you may want to look at the VQ setup for the trigger, so as to not have pull that would be considered "too light" for hunting, or if you're going to be doing small game you may want to also look into a lighter barrel for balance, carrying and moving/tracking targets then stopping to hold sake.

If you look at KIDD Trigger groups and it looks expensive (you can get just the internals from them and save some $$), then take a look at Brimstone, they take your trigger group and rework it, they've got tons of happy customers over at rimfirecentral. I recently went about improving my trigger, and not wanting to hand over my trigger group for an extended time period (brimstone) and playing on a budget, I did the VQ kit (it's very similar to the power custom kit, that is also recommend) for about $30, dry fire has left it with more over travel than I want; but it feels great without the VQ Sear (but I did take the Ruger sear, rub the contact point with steel wool and then let it soak in CLP for 24 hours, not sure it's making much difference, but in my head it feels smoother, then putting the VQ hammer and springs made it feel lighter). With barrels, KIDD is known for being consistent, Green Mountain, is known for being able to be that good, but not as tight a tolerance, so you may or may not have luck of the draw to get to the same point, your Target it barrel ought to be doing real well from the get go though, so it wouldn't necessarily be high on my list. I'd also go to RFC and do some reading on the Stock bedding Pillar and bedding the receiver, $5-20 and some of those little things that pull the rifle together, to make that last bit of difference in a solid package.

Since you already have a 10/22 and you can get it to where it puts one hole in the paper @ 50 yards from the bench and be able to hit a 12" steel target at 400yards with not too much more investment; I'd start there. Even if you go seek out a Bolt action .22 or another rifle, the $30-90 for Brimstone work or a Trigger kit may be well worth your while.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    Freedom , yes really Freedom
    personally i would look at the savage markII btvs , owned one and loved it , has the savage accu-trigger, comes pretty setup nice, thumbhole stock etc, i am by no means a high end plinker just my :twocents:

2wgc2tj.jpg

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    You can make a tack driver out of your 10/22. I'd start by bedding the action and the first 1 1/2" of bbl. Leave the V-block area bedding free. Then I'd send the bbl to Nemohunter over on RFC for a rechamber and crown. Kidd trigger. (I like the 2 stage) and you'll be surprised at the improvement.

CZ's have had some crown issues with the new 455's so I'd not buy one through the mail. I'd want to see it. With a proper crown they're proobably the equal of the 452's. The 453's are great little rifles. Most 452's are sweet shooters. And the customer svc has been good to people I know who have needed it. Doesn't happen too often on the older guns.

Savage with the accutrigger is probably a safe bet as well. If you want to get serious about bench guns you can spend $1000's on custom stuff but to just noodle around with friendly matches any of the above will suffice. Most of the time it's the nut behind the stock that makes the difference anyway.:twocents:

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    CZ 452/453 Varmint would fit your needs. I have several and they are very accurate rifles. Triggers need a little work but after that they are great! :twocents:

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I am totally biased, but would look into a Ruger 77/22. Walnut and blued. A really under appreciated rifle.

Under appreciated because it's over priced and the quality control has been less than stellar. Bolt design and tolerances could use some help. If he had one I'd recommend he send it to Connecticut Precision Chambering for their full boat accurizing job. Cheap at twice the price and will turn the avg 77/22 into an above average rifle.:yesway: Not running yours down, just as a general rule IME they are not the equal of the CZ's out of the box. And they cost more.

Top Bottom