• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    It also is a matter of gear consistency. Arrow spine is critical. The folks playing with this stuff are NOT checking all the finer things the "hardcore" folks probably are.

And with that, my guess is that quite a few of the "hardcore" actually suck. Romance and reality may prove very different for the majority.

I've been to some national Trad shoots and seen the trees blasted on each side of a 4 ft opening, 5 yards from the stake. Shooting like crap is shooting like crap, gear choice doesn't validate it.

When Bubba takes his PVC bow to the Olympics, maybe then I'll believe. Hell, I might become enlightened when such a person takes the ribbon at a local IBO shoot ;)

Simple gear may shoot well, but getting it to do so isn't so simple ;) I am familiar with "Primitive Archer" magazine, and some of my buds have selfbows. Most shoot regular longbows. I prefer recurve.

I also like shooting things past spittin' distance ;)

Last edited:

mrtdrew

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 22, 2011
    NW Indy
    I am by no means an archer but I did feel it was neseccary for me to have a bow as part of my preps aersenal what ever you want to call it. I bought an OMP takedown recurve bow for around 100 dollars I think. It has a 45 pound draw weight and can be taken apart and assembeled with nothing but your hands. It is in my not very informed opinion a great bow ive had it for about 5 years and its always worked and has held up very well overall its a great bow if youre interested you should check it out.

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    Whatever one's preference, they'll all work well. New, old, laminate, selfbow, sinew backed. I've probably tried most of these at hunting and/or 3d shoots where the chintzy trophy's and ribbons came from when extremely active in archery.

bows-1.jpg

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Looks like an old MA3 back there. Cool :)
    Had a 62# MA2 built in '87. Shot next to Mr. Beck at Cloverdale next year, on the practice range. Super gentleman....but he kinda freaked me with his technique LOL.

Am wanting to try out a PCH, maybe even a 56". My SA2's were both 58" and I liked that length for hunting.

Did shoot some from my bud's Tomahawk longbow last year, was sweet, but I have never been able to get into those rigs.

2nd smaller 8 I took with my first SA2, quartering away. Last of the "handcrafted". Had a Selway (they look awesome) on it but it was a bit too noisy so I went back to a Delta and my home made limb brackets (just went under limb bolts, pretty clean setup).

My current Hoyt has a GN strap on and it's light and has worked well, was on a Tradtech before that. Heck, if I get a compound this year I'll order another GN to put on it :)

picture.php

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Previously he had a bow design that was effectively a slingshot that fired arrows with the equivalent of a 40-50 lb draw bow. The slingshot was far more compact and made far more sense to me than this.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    A .22 rifle makes more sense to me.
    CB's for suburban food gathering (rabbit in the backyard).
    Can go with reg or hyper V long rifle and a suppressor for attempting larger animals and or defense.
    Bow? yeah it might work, but in a survival situation there's no time to play around.
    Taking a bow down again and again, one needs to keep the brace height and nocking point the same.........why I never take my bows down when using them off and on.

Quiet........a little change in brace height can change that. Noisy delivery system and slow projectile? Critters like them ;)

If somebody wants to make and shoot a "survival bow" I say go for it. They might work OK for small game, as blunts should be less critical of arrow/tune differences.

Deer hunting with one? Go for that too! (and I hope folks post their results).

Survival IMHO means sport is out the window. With that, I'm going for the rifle. And I have at least one nice bow laying around, shoots kinda sorta OK

picture.php

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I am by no means an archer but I did feel it was neseccary for me to have a bow as part of my preps aersenal what ever you want to call it. I bought an OMP takedown recurve bow for around 100 dollars I think. It has a 45 pound draw weight and can be taken apart and assembeled with nothing but your hands. It is in my not very informed opinion a great bow ive had it for about 5 years and its always worked and has held up very well overall its a great bow if youre interested you should check it out.

FWIW I got a PSE Coyote cheap and changed the limb bolts to "no tool". They were not standard flat head with bezel like used on compounds and other recurves, they were cap screws and a little smaller (washer or insert on limb making for washer type of bearing surface for the cap screw).

If one changed their flat heads to a washer (replace bezel) and cap screw type, they could then go with the press on caps and make it a "no wrench" take down.

BTW, don't buy a PSE Coyote. There are better choices. I had to brace mine over spec to tame it, but then it wasn't a 50# anymore, went 55#@28".
    They are cut past center, a bunch, but I made an adjustable rest that worked great. Grip? Horrible, modified a Hoyt to make it better, but still not good enough IMHO. Riser is that of a PSE Spyder kids bow. Compact, but balance is weird. Got mine cheap, so was an experimental rig.

I still have maybe a dozen Shear Locs for 1/4 -20 IIRC.

The OMP might be a Samick. Yup, low cost and way more usable IMHO :) I had a Hoyt Huntmaster, which then got called a PSE Blackhawk, and now is the Samick SHT. Good stuff for the $. My Samick Equus was +6# over spec'd weight, cool rig though. My Samick Phantom was +4 # and it too was nice (after I ground on the riser sight window and grip).

What's nice about the Polaris/Sage stuff is (if like the OMP) is that extra limbs don't break the bank account. Guys are buying Sage limbs for quite a few Warf projects (compound risers made to take recurve limbs).

Shear-Loc

nob_hand_4.JPG

picture.php

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    There are tool less take downs out there, IIRC my bud's Hoyt Reflex Hunter was such a bow. And Bear (plus custom bowyers) made some.

I saw a Bear 76er not long ago, too light. Thought I might try for a reg TD (metal riser) or try to find a Minuteman of more # to play around, save $, but even those are too much anymore.

:(

I'm not against folks buying or making "Survival bows".

I do think many are underestimating what all is involved in putting an arrow on target repeatedly.
    IMHO eating regularly (with least amount of time and energy expense) probably would involve different equipment.

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Yup, I find the standard BW grip works well for me, plus I just like the added mass weight of their horn design, and the draw..............they just overall feel very good to me. Always have (do like the SA series over the MA, but I don't need a long sight window since I changed anchor to higher).

Just wish they didn't cost so much these days (not when one kid just got braces and another needs a few grand for a missing tooth replacement).

Top Bottom