• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scattergunner

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Never have shot a supressor, but the thought of an ultr quiet rifle sounds fantastic. Is there any place to try one before you buying it, or are there grades, db ratings, etc. to consider? Do supressors really work on semi-auto carbines (9mm or .40)?

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    First, you will need to lower your expectations a little bit, as hollywood has really not done a realistic portrayal of how suppressors actually sound.

That said, of the configurations of suppressed guns that are very close to "hollywood" quiet, a suppressed pistol caliber carbine is at the top. The trick is keeping the rounds subsonic on carbines with barrels 16" or longer, however, if you also pony up the expense too also SBR the carbine, you will have a good combination.

A suppressed 9mm SBR is a thing of beauty when set up correctly.

Since you live up north, I suggest you get hold of the HunterArms folks, I am sure they can get you squared away.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Cans don't sound like what you see on TV.

That said, shoot CCI-SV through a 22 semi-auto handgun without a can, then screw one on and shoot it again - it will seem "Hollywood quiet". Also, a 300BLK bolt gun with subs is pretty darn quiet, too.

Never tried a pistol can, have no idea.

I did get to hear a few centerfire suppressors last weekend on 308/260/7RM type precision rifles, and while I wouldn't call them hearing safe for multiple strings of fire, they GREATLY reduce the blast of a centerfire rifle and change/reduce their noise signature.

scattergunner

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Fort Wayne, IN
    The whole movie suppressor thing would be cool, that is why I would like to try before I buy. Is there a manufacturer that will let me hear their product, or a shoot somewhere that has them to hear?

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    Check with AGS Armament, they are up there by you. There are a ton of videos on utube that can help give you an idea. Last year there was a suppressor shoot here in Indianapolis, but it was cancelled for this year.

Top Bottom