• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • absrio

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Howard County
    I should hopefully be recieving my TAC 65 in the next 4 weeks at the latest. I was just wondering how everybody is cleaning there 22lr suppressors. I have been told, "No need to clean it just soak it in Kroil for a day after use and blow it out." Or do I invest in the removel tools to be able to take it apart. My thought was to add some never-sieze to all the contact points and on the threads.

Is there anything I should do the day I pick it up (ie clean it) other than shoot it?

repair

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    send it to me and I'll let you know when it's clean. ;)

I have been asking about them and I was told that the new cans don't use wipers and that they can just have a patch with a little oil on it run through them but since I don't have one take it for what it's worth.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    IIRC, there's a FAQ on the manufacturer's website that details specifically how to clean it.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    As far as initial cleaning, it isn't like a firearm and doesn't need cleaned. The baffles are brand new and they are near their maximum efficiency. If you are going to be using it on a semiautomatic firearm, it won't really "need" cleaned for about ten thousand rounds. You risk doing more damage than good if you disassemble/clean all the time. I have an Outback that is probably approaching the 8-10 thousand round mark and it is still going strong and quiet. I also have a Quest that I run on my M16 with .22 conversion. I've only cleaned it twice. Once was shortly after I got it just so I could familiarize myself with the process. The second time was after last year's INGO NFA Day. That day it got probably 2-3k through it in a very short time. The blast baffle was coated in molten lead and the baffle stack was soldered together. I used a blasting box with glass beads to clean it. This is a recommended method and works well. HTH

Lawguns

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Strangely I agree with VUPDBLUE. I personally have the Yankee Hill cans. I don't find any reason to take them apart well those are a sealed unit so it would be hard. But, I have had other that come apart in the pastand if you really feel like you must clean them every few hundred rounds I use a little solvent and plug one end and let it sit (not for those that have wipes) If you must disassemble it blasting it with glass beads works great.

fullauto 45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Dec 27, 2008
    SE Indy
    Do not use lead nosed round in the suppressor. It will foul in about 500 rounds. I pop mine apart every few thousand rounds and put the cones in the ultra sonic, and it is good to go.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Contrary to popular belief a well designed suppressor does not need to be cleaned.

I strongly disagree. The lead buildup in my Quest when it is run on AUTO is off the charts. The blast baffle becomes a 'lump' and there is enough lead buildup on the baffle stack that it constricts the bore. I am certain that if it got enough rounds downrange it would start to be come a constriction problem and baffle strikes would occur. I consider the Quest to be a well designed suppressor. That said, I am of the belief that a can which only sees semiautomatic fire probably won't ever *need* to be cleaned.

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    They DO clog and fill up with crap. There are a lot of pictures on the internet showing the amounts of crud clogging the faces of the baffles. This reduces the volume and efficiency.

There probably isn't THAT much difference in sound reduction but it's there and if you can clean it, you should.

Search the internet for a homemade ultrasonic cleaner. Someone used an orbital hand sander, upside down with a bucket mounted on it's base. That sits inside another bucket with foam around the edges. Cut holes around base of larger bucket, run wire out and fill small bucket with solvent and use a wire basket that you can make yourself for holding the parts.

fullauto 45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Dec 27, 2008
    SE Indy
    I bought my ultra sonic at Harbour Freight. I think it was around $50. Put a 50/50 solution of water and white vinegar and buzz away for about 10 minutes. The cones will be as clean as new. I did have my TAC 65 fill with lead from the lead nosed rounds. Had to send it back to Craig to have it reworked. It turned a round sideways at the end and opened up the exit hole a little.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    10°17'42.48"N 85°5
    I heard that the ultra sonic cleaners could crack aluminum. Maybe I was dreaming that. Anyhoo, I built a little can cleaner out of a discarded spagetti sauce jar. Poked a hole in the metal lid and inserted a rubber hose throuth the lid and through bore of the can, close the lid. Hook the other end to a small fish tank pump. It uses its bubbling action to boil out the crap. You can even poke small holes in the end of the tube to create more bubbles. Works pretty well.

Top Bottom