• ...and so much more!
  • flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Hi Guy's and Girl's;

Hey, it's cold out today (-12*F). Yeah, I know, some of you are colder but after a while, cold is just COLD! So I'm staying in.

Anyway, I thought I would use the time to share with you what I've done to my RIA 1911 .45 to stop hammer bite. Yes, it probably has been covered before but I need something to do besides the "Honey Do list", (I'm retired).

I like my "Standard" model RIA and it performs just great the way it is but it does bite me on the web of my hand mostly because I hold it with a high grip and very firmly.

I found a Wilson (I believe) Commander, hammer and sear set that I bought a long time ago and for some reason didn't use so I decided to see if I could make it work without changing the grip safety also (I like the grip safety just the way it is). Sure enough it fit just fine but I couldn't get the hammer strut pin out (it's swagged in) of the original hammer and I didn't want to ruin it so I put in a new strut and pin and then made sure everything worked without rubbing. I had to clearence the strut a bit but it worked just fine and the hammer doesn't interfere with the slide or grip safety. It has a crisp/clean 4 lb. trigger pull thanks in part to Brownell's online "Bench Talk" article (which I printed out) on how to set a 1911 trigger to 2-1/2 lbs. but I prefer the 4 lb. trigger for a carry gun.

The article shows a tool to stone the sear and hammer hooks but I've made my own at no cost and besides the Wilson set didn't need it anyway.

http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo106/flightsimmer_2009/Commanderhammer.jpg

Have a great week everybody, Dan.

Now where's that honey do list?

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I had a very nice 70-series Colt that I didn't want to mess with the original looks, so I just took about 1/3 of the hammer spur down in back. I've got thick hands and have a decent scar from shooting original style 1911's. I really like the beavertails, especially the Wilson design, but it just doesn't look 'right' on some guns!

Doug K

Top Bottom