• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    I used to use stones, but moved to the lansky system a couple of years ago and won't ever go back to sharpening freehand. I use the standard lansky kit, with the additional yellow extra-fine hone.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    I own the Lansky system, but can't get an edge on some knives with it. I do well when I'm sharpening my Kershaws, but I haven't had good luck with any of my CRKT's or Benchmade.

TGUNTER

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Plainfield
    I guess I am old school but I still have my best luck with a two sided 8in bear sharping stone I have used for over thirty years. My son gave me the Lansky system for Christmas but I can not seem to get use to it.

Richard

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I switched over to CCKS - 2-Step Knife Sharpener | Smith's - The Edge Experts a few years ago, they work surprisingly well once you initially cut the new angle on the edge & they are small & portable enough that they easily fit in your pocket or on your key chain.

ccks.jpg

releo 37

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    I have been using the Lansky system for years and it works on everything. By the thrid time you use it the blade will be uniform on both sides

KPierce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Jeffersonville
    I have diamond stones from 400 grit up to 2000 grit and they work well. I also have an antique chef's steel that I use quite a bit to put the final polish on a blade. I am by no means an expert, but I keep all of my knives is good condition with very nice edges without a lot of work.

Just be willing to try a few things and use what works best for you.

mfrobert

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Getting a great edge on a knife in my opinion is such an art that I always send mine off to someone more able than me to get it razor sharp ie. Tom Krein

ruger7722

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    indy
    i dont know much about them but i have a few.my grandpa died and left me his,i used to sharpen all his knives.good memories for me.one that sticks out in my mind is furnace abrasives.i say that because its the only one i ever seen.i use it all the time

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    I just purchased a Chef's Choice Pronto. It's a manual sharpener with two diamond hone slots.
    It can put a real nice edge on most of my folders, but the slots are narrow and most hunting/fighting fixed blades won't fit. (I guess it really is for chefs)

joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    I got the Lansky about 2 weeks ago. Gives me much more consistent angle than I could ever get free-hand. I've sharpened and re-edged some knives that I thought I would end up pitching.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    I still have and use the old whet rock my Dad gave me when I was a kid, so about 40 years old. It was in a cedar box, made by Kabar, with their name stamped the lid.

robert

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    I've been using lansky since I started making my own knives. Have most all their stuff now. Love it

econnell

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    Howard Co IN
    I use stones, and a strop; that's how my dad taught me 30years ago once you get the hang of it, just throw your stone in the pack and forget the fancy stuff.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Urimun
    Top Bottom