• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bob45

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Metamora
    A guy I worked with spent the night in a downtown Indy hotel and valeted his vehicle with a pistol in the console. When he got home he discovered the pistol gone. He called the hotel, they said that he wasnt allowed to valet a vehicle with a gun in it, and they arent responsible. What should he do? Should he call the Indy police and report it stolen? Thanks

panderson

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    I would definitely report the gun stolen. At least if something happened with the gun and it came back to him he would have a case number. Sucks that he lost his gun. Surprised he didnt notice when he got back in the car. Good luck.

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    and he needs to let the police know that the valets had access to his vehicle so they can find out who was working that night. i would also call higher up the chain at the hotel, because I'm sure stealing from their customers is against hotel policy.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    If he is sure he had it in the console, I would think that a call to the police would be the right thing to do. What if that gun is used in a crime tonight? If he bought it at a shop he will be the last known owner. Get it documented that it was stolen.

Hiker1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    South
    Yes, file the report!

I would value recovery of the gun, and quickly filing a police report over insurance claim money, and all the fun that goes with filing a claim. On the police report line, listing the location of the gun in the vehicle, I would state something to the effect that it was in the front portion of the main passenger compartment-if it was, and nothing more specific than that!

The person in charge of hiring the valet workers might be interested in the trustworthiness of his people, or he might not!

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Also file a claim for the theft. Try third party against the hotel.

"They said that he wasnt allowed to valet a vehicle with a gun in it" is a load of horsepoop on their part. He followed the law and didn't sign any contracts for valet did he?

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Please PM the name/location of the hotel/valet your friend used while downtown.

I'm actually the regional director for a local valet company, and would like to be certain this was not any of my employees.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Yeah, I don't believe a word that the hotel people say about "not being allowed to valet a car with a gun in it," and them not being responsible for it. Thats bull. They should be MORE responsible in this case. If I have a job where I am supervising people who are routinely getting into strangers vehicles, I'm going to be doubly sure that all the people who work for me are trustworthy and honest. Its not worth the risk to do otherwise.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I knew of a case once where I guy swore up and down a valet stole his pistol. Demanded that something be done, just had to be the valet. Guess what, he gets home, finds the Glock (I think) he reported stolen.

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    When I use valet and leave my gun in the car (Usually only big events down town that involve me drinking or being around a lot of people drinking) I lock mine in the glovebox. Fortunately I have a "valet" key, that doesn't open the glovebox so they would have to pry it open.

Bob45

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Metamora
    He made the report to the police, they said he should have called from the hotel, but he didnt discover it missing till he got home. The valet company admitted that the car and the keys were in their control the whole time, but pointed out that on the back of the ticket it says they arent responsible for the contents of your vehicle, in other words, yes, we stole it, but no, theres nothing you can do about it

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    He made the report to the police, they said he should have called from the hotel, but he didnt discover it missing till he got home. The valet company admitted that the car and the keys were in their control the whole time, but pointed out that on the back of the ticket it says they arent responsible for the contents of your vehicle, in other words, yes, we stole it, but no, theres nothing you can do about it

What is wrote on the back of the card is not worth the paper it is wrote on. They are responsible. That is a cop out like car wash signs that say not liable for damages or tri axle trucks that say not responsible for broken windshields. Yes they are.

JSeroka

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Lafayette, IN

That is not a legal contract in any sense. If you do not agree to the terms in writing it does not count. You get the parking ticket AFTER you give them the keys, not the other way around. Which means they can print anything on the card they want and its still not a legal obligation. Tell your friend to file theft charges against the valet company/hotel and to get an attorney. He has a legitimate case for a civil lawsuit against both the valet/hotel company. I am sure once the upper level chain of the hotel is contacted by an attorney for a firearms theft they will settle the case. Also since the valet company stated the keys were in their possession the whole time, the police have a much better idea of who the thief is as it has to be one of the people on shift that had access to the keys, kind of narrows down your suspect list.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Company's write that stuff and put signs up because a lot of people will believe it and not follow through.

Top Bottom