• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JTKelly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    When you are loading up on a sale or planning all the bug outs and bug ins and hidden cashes, think it over and make a good plan to deal with the fact all this stuff DOES go back given the opportunity and enough time. Brass tarnishes and corrodes. Lead oxidizes, copper jackets tarnish and corrode. Kept dry and uncontaminated, primers are probably actually the LAST thing to give you a problem. Powder in the container you bought it in, probably would last decades longer than loaded ammo stored in a magazine or clip.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    My ammo can is an old Vulcan Hart industrial pressure cooker. It is stainless steel and designed like a vault. I put the ammo in the air tight vault with a little candle in a glass jar. Light the candle and close the door and all the oxygen goes bye bye.

If I blow myself up at least I had good ammo the rest of my life...

JTKelly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have ammo that is 60 years old and it still goes bang every time.
    Most of it will.

Some of it doesn't. Some of it will but just looks like it wouldn't. You don't always know them apart when you are buying it. 60 years later it is easy to see, "I should a bought more of THIS instead of That."

Mark this thread so 60 years from now you can come back for your "I told you so's" or admissions as the case may be.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    I'm saying exactly what I said. I can only tell it, I can't understand it for you.
    I haven't heard of ammo not going bang, even from WW2, have you?

Your post is discussing a non issue... we will go bad before the ammo does...

Sounds like you don't want to stock factory ammo for fear it'll go bad...

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I have personally had ammo that was over 20 years old, in the original box, in the basement. All of it looked practically new. All of it went bang. In 1977, in an attic in Germany, I found a stash of loose M1 (30-.06) ammo. At minimum, that ammo sat on the floor, in an unheated, un-air conditioned attic for 32 years. It was a tad tarnished, but looked useable. It all fired just fine. Ammo will outlive you. Buy as much as you can afford.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I’m not sure what you’re trying to say here. Are you trying to say “don’t stockpile?”

Regardless. 30 years ago, I started building ammo cans with a box of every caliber I shoot. This is before I reloaded as much as I do now. I have about 25 of these cans left. Every year on New Year’s I open one, put all in my shooting shack, and throughout the year shoot most of it. It comes out of the ammo can looking like the day I put it in, and it has all shot just fine.

Buy it when it’s cheaper, or you can afford it. Store it well, then don’t worry about when there are these shortages. If more people did this, there wouldn’t be shortages.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I'm not saying I have a cache of ammo. I'm just saying if I did it would be in plastic or old milsurp cases with rubber seals. I would also probably toss in one of those gel packs that absorb water. Sometimes I might just leave it surrounded by cardboard to absorb moisture with a few extra gel packs.
    That is, if I had any ammo caches. Maybe one day.

Top Bottom