• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jbell_64

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Mitchell
    I'm looking into getting a Savage Model 64. Is there really any point in spending another $50 bucks for a stainless barrel on a plinking rifle? I understand that stainless will hold up better, but it adds another 30% onto the price. :dunno:

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    not necessarily......accuracy depends on a wide variety of factors which haven't been discussed/mentioned on this post.....but they are certainly more durable/longer lasting

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    If you marred the finish on stainless you can hit with a high grit sandpaper & remove the mark
    high speed buffer of some sort would be better.....sandpaper removes material too fast.......in either case, just make sure you're working the metal in the same direction of the original finish...or it's not gonna turn out very pretty..lol

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    under certain "heat treatments" it becomes so....it is actually very tough metal.....if you aren't familiar with it you can burn through a lot of bits relatively quick

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    it just generally stains and scuffs relatively easily....although it's usually easy to clean/fix......it's just commonly misperceived that it doesn't rust.....well it doesn't necessarily "rust" but it does corrode...all metals do...even aluminum

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    you also have to be cautious......"stainless" doesn't mean it is "true stainless steel".....many different metals with different compositions.....I had a stainless 1911, that SOMEHOW managed to gain a few speckles of RUST...indicating a low quality "stainless" which has excessive iron content........an easy, simple test...is put a strong magnet to it...."true stainless" is not magnetic

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I prefer stainless and am gradually switching all guns over to it. It is not maintenance or rust free, but certainly more user friendly.

Top Bottom