• ...and so much more!
  • danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    I'm interested in buying a Spyderco knife or two, the more I've read on them over on Bladeforums.com and handling a few here and there that friends have, I'm really liking what i've seen so far. I like the Military knives, the Endura, the Stretch, as well as many others. From what paddling_man and tyler34 have echoed, it appears that their steels of ZDP-189 and S90V are both outstanding in terms of durability and ability to hold a keen edge. My first will likely be a stretch in ZDP-189.

So, who here owns a Spyderco or two and would like to weigh in on them?

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I know squat about blade steel, but I've owned a number of Spydercos in a couple different models (Delica, and more recently the Native III) over the years, and have been impressed with their ergonomics, quality and price point.

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    I've had an Endura (lost in the woods *sigh*), and currently have a Police. My Police is fully serrated and holds an edge well (v8-10 stainless). The Endura was also fully serrated and held a good edge. Both knives are under $100

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    I own the following spydercos:
    - Military G-10 / S30V
    - Military Carbon Fiber / S90V
    - Native FRN / S30V
    - Caly 3 carbon fiber / ZDP189
    - Paramilitary G-10 / D2 steel
    - Mule S90V
    - Mule M4

They're all great and I love them all. But my all time favorite has to be the military. The plain-vanilla G-10/S30V model is my EDC, and has been for several years. S90V and ZDP 189 both hold their edge well, but for my usage S30V is more than good enough. I do like to use my "super steel" spydercos on camping trips when I expect to use my knives a lot in between sharpening.

My next spyderco is going to be a FRN handled Stretch in ZDP-189. IMO, ZDP takes a very keen edge and holds it for a long time. You do have to take basic precautions against corrosion though (tuf-cloth every once in a while is fine). S90V doesn't take quite as good of an edge, but holds it just as good as the ZDP while being easier to sharpen and more corrosion resistant.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    I still think the best value in "pocket" knives today is the spyderco tenacious. it doesn't use any exotic steel but it's fit and finish are top notch. I also love the native. I'm not a fan of enduras or delicas because I don't like the handles being so light it just feels unbalanced to me but thats just a pet peeve for me, I will however be buying one in zdp-189. the nice thing about spyderco is they usually have multiple grades of popular styles so you can buy one that fits your $$$ needs.

HMMurdock

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Greenwood aka G-Wood
    I have a Sypderco Endura which I carried every day as a law enforcement officer in Las Vegas. I still carry it every time I leave the house now. I'm loyal and when it comes to a folding blade it's all I'll have from here on out!

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Alex, be sure to have a "Spyderco call" at NFA Day. I'm sure there's 2 or 3 of us with them in our pockets. We'd be glad to share.

lowriderjim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Huntington
    I have been carrying an Enduro of several years. I abuse it for a letter opener and many kinds of tools including a pill divider. It is partially serated model which comes in handy for tool uses.

It is thin and clips easily to the pockets. I especially like the one hand deployment and repocketing when abusing the knife as a tool. This something I would definately look at for a daily carry piece.

I bought mine from a friend used and it is well worth the money, I probably would not use it for skinning large game but for a easily deployable tool, I'm happy/

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom