• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TangoSierra

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    An enjoyable hour at the range was upset today by an apparent failure to feed on a round of Fiocchi 115gr FMJ in my SA XDm 4.5" 9mm pistol. After the 3rd round, the slide cycled and the 4th round was stripped from the magazine - but at this point, something went wrong. The slide did not return to battery, but the real issue is that the slide will not move at all. I cannot manually cycle the slide to eject the round.

I have been as forceful as I dare, not wanting to do any [further] damage to the firearm, and being cautious of the live round. I've put the front edge of the slide against a block of wood, and tried to apply more pressure in a rearward direction, but it will not move but a hair's width. I can't see much to determine what may have occurred, or what is preventing the slide's movement. I see the case from the magazine well, and it appears to be in a good position; and there is a little bit visible from the ejection port.

Comments, suggestions, or recommendations?

Sainte

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    You need one of two things in this situation, a bigger hammer or, more cowbell.....

whippo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 17, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Did you try to eject the mag? while doing anything at this point be sure you know where the bullet would go and make sure its a safe place. Also if inside the home make sure noone is around. Once the mag is ejected try to pull the slide back again. Also post this on xdtalk.com

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Depress the grip safety (since the slide won't move unless it is depressed), and put some force on the hood of the barrel while pulling the slide back.

Might have to have a friend help, and the hood might take a slight kiss from a dowl rod or plastic punch being hit by a brass hammer

Black Cloud

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Brownsburg
    ^^^ This.

Make sure the grip safety is depressed before trying to move the slide. If it still doesn't move, a smith is in order. Sorry to hear of your ordeal. Hope mine doesn't do the same.

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    This sounds like a weird problem. I would also eject the magazine before I did anything. I dont blame you for not wanting to hammer on the slide. If you had no trouble up till this point, it doesnt make sense that the slide would just freeze. However, this is the only way it would just jam on a live round instead of chambering it. Have you examined the case at all, or isnt this possible? Im wondering if the brass became deformed when the gun attempted to chamber it and is hindering your progress.

TangoSierra

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Thank you all for your feedback. The magazine was ejected first thing, and the slide could not be moved manually with a normal grip.

However, I did clear the gun using a little more cowbell...er...force: I placed the grip safety against a carpeted stair, and holding a block of wood against the slide next to the barrel, I gave it a few taps with a hammer. This moved the slide back about 1/2 inch. It was still stuck, but I was able to force it back manually at this point to eject the round. As you can see from the picture below, the problem appears to be a defect in the cartridge, wherein a small section of case is folded under itself, creating a slight bulge. There are no tool marks to suggest this occurred during feeding.

Lesson learned: Check the ammo for defects as it is being loaded.

photo.JPG

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I am glad you got it out. I inspect every round before I load it into the mag of my handguns. I almost loaded a factory new round one ti!me that had no primer. That was my wake up.

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    If this post shows anything, its that the first suspect in some type of feeding/extraction/ejection failure is usually the ammunition, for one reason or another.

USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Holy ****...i was just about to say i found a round that looked exactly the same as that with the last batch of fiocci ammo i loaded...i wont be buying their product anymore.

Top Bottom