• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steveIU

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    If this is a repeat thread I apologize in advance. As the title displays, I am a southpaw. And to be real honest that makes purchases require some research. Does anyone out there have any suggestions for a 1911 for a lefty?

darend505

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    I'm a soutpaw, but do a lot of things right handed as well. It feels more comfortable to hold using my right hand than my left. My Bersa Thunder CC and my Taurus PT 24/7 Pro feel comfortable and easy to use!

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    IME as a life-long southpaw, IMO all you really need is an ambi thumb safety, some training and regular, diligent practice.

With those, any brand or variation of the 1911 platform can be utilized just as effectively by a southpaw as anyone else.

Just MO, but I bought two stainless Springfield "Loaded" models (a 4" Champion and a full-sized GM) because they came equipped with ambi safeties and several other attactive features such as Novak tritium sights included in their very modest prices. At the time, it would've cost substantially more to get those on any other competing model.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    If you can find one, Randall made a lefty 1911.

Even tougher to find: The unique magazines those Randalls required. IMHO, mo' betta just get an ambi safety and learn to adapt yourself to the rest of the 'backwards' stuff.

steveIU

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    Even tougher to find: The unique magazines those Randalls required. IMHO, mo' betta just get an ambi safety and learn to adapt yourself to the rest of the 'backwards' stuff.
    there is a Randall on gunbroker for $6000.00.......I'm thinking adaptation is a cheaper route.

Loganwildman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 29, 2012
    Logansport
    I also am a life long southpaw and the 1911 is my favorite firearm. I simply added an ambi safety to my Colts, and my Para came with it already installed. I use my index finger for the mag release and slide release. This has server me well in practice and competition for 20 years.
    As for what gun to get, mainly look for one with an ambi safety.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I do the whole thing with the left hand; I've stopped using the thumb safety; the slide release and mag release are readily operated with the trigger finger, no problems. My "proper" 1911 is so sloppy my trigger finger hits the slide lock disturbingly often, but the P12s rock.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008

Yeah, maybe that post should have had a smiley or some purple. :)

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have learned to adapt. Have yet to own or shot a gun meant for southpaws!

I owned a left handed Remington 870 Wingmaster back in the 1970's. Was a beautiful gun.

I have been considering a Charter Arms Southpaw for a pocket carry revolver.

Go with an ambi-safety 1911, then all you have to do is train yourself to use the mag release.

Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    Also being a lefty I was in the same boat. I was able to find a very good deal on a Taurus PT1911. The ambi-safety sealed the deal. Great gun.:yesway:

tblosl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2012
    Evansville
    I am a southpaw as well and I can say the 1911 is my favorite pistol. I am up to three now and looking for my fourth. An ambi-safety is the most important thing for a lefty, the only other option I would recommend is an extend slide release, makes it easier to manipulate with your left index finger. Both of those items are easy for a novice to install; only one of my 1911's came with the ambi-safety. I installed them on my other two in less than 30 minutes each.

I have stopped using the slide release on all my semi autos all together. I use my right had to rack the slide back and that will drop the slide release.

Top Bottom