• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bowman78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Camby
    what is the general feelings on here about the new proposed smoking ban in indy? My feeling is its the government once again overstepping their authority... I believe it should be business owners decision to be pro-smoke or not...if the employees of these businesses want to work in a smoke free environment get a different job! The city council will ban smoking in every establishment in marion county if they can but at worst will only exclude private clubs and tobacco shops and hookah bars that are in current business.... No new permits will be allowed... Btw I'm not a smoker but do believe in freedoms of business owners!

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    I feel the same way... If a business will attract more customers by not allowing smoking, I am fine with that - and it is a business decision that should be left to the owner/operators, and consumers can decide if they want to spend their money in said business. When a government agency decides smoking should be banned in all businesses, they are making the decision for businesses, usually leading to a negative impact.

Here in Franklin we had the same debate at one point... some even went as far as to claim that non-smokers that would like to enjoy smoke free establishments would boost business profits... Flash forward to the smoking ban in effect, and businesses have been hurt hard - some bars even having to shut down because of the impact.

Last edited:

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Should be completely up to the property owner because if it is not, how long before they try and tell me I cannot smoke in my own house because none smokers live there as well.

I am tired of non smokers whining and crying about my obnoxious fumes as they go about their daily lives driving their carbon monoxide spewing car, trucks, and SUV's.

Go ahead, ask me how I really feel:D

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I don't smoke cigarettes but it seems clear this is an infringement on private property rights that would make our Founders roll over in their graves. If I don't want to go to some place because it is smoky then I should stay home or go somewhere else not cry to my rep to force my beliefs on others.

Last edited:

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    I have yet meet anyone who is addicted to second hand smoke, nor have I read any UNBIASED (yes I want to emphasize that) research that actually links smoking to cancer. Everything is funded by anti smoking groups and others with an agenda. The Cancer Industry is the main cause of cancer, IMHO. It's big money and big money corrupts.

Added: The most harmful chemicals in tobacco are thr ones that goold old Uncle Sammy requires the manufacturers to add to it. Raw tobacco does not cause the amount of problems for people.

The proposed ban is linguini spined, I can't take responsibility for my own actions, liberal BS and nothing more.

Last edited:

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    What are my thoughts?

It is yet another example of statist pigs in action.

How much control is enough control for statist pigs? There is never enough control for statist pigs. May they all burn in Hell.

(PS I am not a smoker. If I go into an establishment that operates a smoking permitted model and I do not want to be there, I simply exercise my free will to leave. It's unfortunate some sheep seem incapable of exercising their own free will and need the state to remove it from them.)

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I don't smoke cigarettes but it seems clear this is an infringement on private property rights that would make our Founders roll over in their graves. If I don't want to go to some place because it is smoky then I should stay home or go somewhere else not cry to my rep to force my beliefs on others.

^^^ This!

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    It should be up to the business owner. Personally, if I smell smoke in a restaurant, I leave. I believe about 25% of adults smoke, if I had a business, I wouild not permit smoking as the 75% would bring more business than the 25%.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    It should be up to the business owner. Personally, if I smell smoke in a restaurant, I leave. I believe about 25% of adults smoke, if I had a business, I wouild not permit smoking as the 75% would bring more business than the 25%.

i think the number in indiana is around 51 percent of hoosiers smoke. dont quote me on that but i remember hearing that from a few differant sources.

Ragenarok007

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Mooresville
    Just like how they think there should be a huge label on each pack saying how smoking causes cancer. Ok. So put a sign outside every Mcdonald's saying that hamburgers make you fat. And outside starbucks it should say that coffee makes you jittery. Every Coke should have a label that says that soda can make you diabetic. Every pointed object should have a label that says you could put your eye out. Every woman should come with a label warning how she can make you go broke. Every kid should be born with a label saying how they can drive you nuts. Every car should come with a warning about how they can flip over and crush you. But most importantly, they should put up a sign on every government building warning the public how politics will F up absolutely every effing thing.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Just like how they think there should be a huge label on each pack saying how smoking causes cancer. Ok. So put a sign outside every Mcdonald's saying that hamburgers make you fat. And outside starbucks it should say that coffee makes you jittery. Every Coke should have a label that says that soda can make you diabetic. Every pointed object should have a label that says you could put your eye out. Every woman should come with a label warning how she can make you go broke. Every kid should be born with a label saying how they can drive you nuts. Every car should come with a warning about how they can flip over and crush you. But most importantly, they should put up a sign on every government building warning the public how politics will F up absolutely every effing thing.
    Should be a warning on every vehicle thats says carbon monoxide, the silent killer.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Should be a warning on every vehicle thats says carbon monoxide, the silent killer.
    Oh great!!!!
    Now some idiot at the DOT will read that, make it a "safety rule", and the automakers will raise the price of each vehicle another $2000.00 to cover the costs of printing, and applying, the stickers. :facepalm:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Another non-smoker here that thinks the "ban" is straight-up retarded. (no offense meant to any actually retarded folks).

I can practice my own "ban", thank you very much. I don't need the .gov's help. If the smoke in a business bothers me, I just leave (or don't go in the first place).

Why can't the folks who want to enjoy a smoke-free evening just go someplace that is already smoke-free? It isn't rocket surgery.

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    I don't smoke and don't like to be in places where there is a lot of smoke. That said I still wonder where anyone gets the right to say that people in this country can't us a legal product in a public place.

The US government subsidizes the raising of tobacco, The US Government needs and collects tobacco tax as do the various states.

Of course a property owner should always have the right to allow or ban nearly any activity on his property or in his place of business. But I don't think that right belongs to any governmental group.

Mike_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    Indianapolis

^^^ This^^^^

As for Indiana, 2009 article claims it is 26.1%. If I had a business I'd favor the odds and not permit it as well.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Meh. Governments have been dictating what can and cannot be consumed, smoked, grown, raised, bought, or sold on private property for centuries. I don't see what the big fuss is about all the sudden.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Tyranny does not kill Liberty in a sudden matter.... it does so slowly.... with few of the sheep noticing until it is too late.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Tyranny does not kill Liberty in a sudden matter.... it does so slowly.... with few of the sheep noticing until it is too late.

There is no tyranny here. All actors were democratically elected or had an opportunity to participate in said election.

Top Bottom