Smart Phones - Verizion, what is best and why?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Which do you prefer?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    wrigley I will tell you that my wife works for AT&T and she will tell you that AT&T is in no way set up to have near the coverage of verizon now nor in the future. AT&T plays catch up to verizon every step of the way.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I don't mean to sound confrontational, just pointing out that there was some bad info. From my experience as an OTR driver, Sprint and Verizon have the best OVERALL COVERAGE in the lower 48 (and I mean every nook and cranny of them), Verizon edging sprint out a bit. There are areas out west (and other places too far from the interstate to matter to them) where no one has coverage. As far as the air card internet connections, they all leave a LOT to be desired but sprints seemed to have the fastest connection speed in the most areas. It was unfortunate, because I HATE sprint but had to go with the guys that had the products I used.....I don't have one anymore, but am being told by other drivers that Verizon now has better coverage for internet cards wich would lead me to believe the Droid (being server based) would also be better covered by them.

CorvetteTom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Shelbyville
    I wouldn't give Apple a penny for anything they make. Proprietary systems are made to ensure the market stays in favor of the manufacturer. They kill development and anyone that buys into that is only helping them continue their bad ways.

With that said... Open source allows for 1000s of FREE apps to be available. No app censorship like Apple.

wrigleycub

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    West side of Indy
    QUOTE=Throt[tleJockey;1626793]I don't mean to sound confrontational, just pointing out that there was some bad info. From my experience as an OTR driver, Sprint and Verizon have the best OVERALL COVERAGE in the lower 48 (and I mean every nook and cranny of them), Verizon edging sprint out a bit. There are areas out west (and other places too far from the interstate to matter to them) where no one has coverage. As far as the air card internet connections, they all leave a LOT to be desired but sprints seemed to have the fastest connection speed in the most areas. It was unfortunate, because I HATE sprint but had to go with the guys that had the products I used.....I don't have one anymore, but am being told by other drivers that Verizon now has better coverage for internet cards wich would lead me to believe the Droid (being server based) would also be better covered by them.[/QUOTE]

I definitely agree with you on coverage. I've been a devout verizon customer for 13 years...........moving rest of response to a new thread now that this is somewhat off topic (Cellphone customer service)

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    My wife and I both have Droid Incredibles and really like them. We realized that we were doing 90%+ of our web surfing from our phones and that we could tether our phones to our home PCs for home internet. A quick Speedtest with a tethered phone showed we could get 2M download speeds, plenty for us. We lowered our cable bill by ~$70 a month (they had apparently put us on the gamer's internet package). Then we realized we could switch to DirecTV and save even more. The installer will be here next Saturday.

If you are a light internet user with good coverage at your home, a Droid might allow you to eliminate your home internet service. Good luck trying to do that with an IPhone.

We were also considering Ipads, but then found there are Android based competitors that have equal or better specs with much lower price tags. Guess which one we'll be getting.

ETA: The biggest drawback is that I am usually slow to respond to forum threads. This message took about 10 minutes to hammer out.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    i would go with the iPhone, but wait till quarter two when the iPhone 5 comes out, if you don't really want to think about having to program your phone and are ok with letting Apple decide all everything.

The Droid has a more complex user interface but lets you customize the phone in unlimited number of ways.

also the Iphone does not support flash, ie no you tube or most of the other internet video, where as droid supports flash.

Android phones tend to be faster on the internet then iphones do to the way the processors handle data.

really, I would go to the store and play with them and play with friends phones. that will be the best bet.

Finally my computer science degree comes in handy.

magic man

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Mar 7, 2010
    NWI
    also the Iphone does not support flash, ie no you tube or most of the other internet video, where as droid supports flash.
    phones. that will be the best bet.
    You are correct that iPhone doesn't support flash, but Youtube definitely works on it. A Youtube app comes pre-installed on the iPhone and you can also use the mobile site, IIRC.

Wheezy50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Morgan County
    I too am looking at these phones, bump back to the top to hear more resposes, but the Droid X is looking better to me so far.

Is there a "new" droid phone coming out in the near future??

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    For those interested in getting a phone now, the Droid R2D2 edition phone is 50 or 100 bucks (depending upon what your log in discount is) with upgrade. It's not 4G but who knows when Indiana will get 4G service. I'm tempted to get it as my price is only 50 bucks, my wife logged in and her price was 100. Just throwing it out there! I've not pulled the trigger yet.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Well folks, today I made up my mind and took the plunge.

The winner is (drum roll):joke:......

Motorola DROID X

mot_droid_x.png

I've had the pleasure to play around with it for about 6 hours now and have found out that this has quite the learning curve to it, along with the plethora of nice apps that are available.

So far I've got Sound Hound, Compass, Bar Code Scanner and Shake to Answer.

The shake to answer is a nifty thing, all you have to do is shake the phone and it picks up the call instead of having to unlock it.

Some how I think this phone is going to be quite the time consumer for a little while till I get caught on on the in's and outs.:D

latj

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Good choice! I still have my original Droid from about a year and a half ago, but I would probably get an X if I was due to choose :yesway:

Typhon1390

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Congrats on your purchase, looks like a good choice.

I'm on my 3rd iPhone. I've bought the last 3 generations and don't have a thing bad to say about them. I'm not gonna try it again, but I even had one submerged for a few hours with no consequences.

Apparently I should try out a Droid sometime though.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Oh, I forgot to mention this, Verizon in Greenwood across from the mall has a smart phone class every Wednesday (No Charge), so the next time I get that day off, I'm gonna venture down there and partake in the fun.

Top Bottom