• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    Questions about the best options for arming the ladies in our lives seem to come up all the time. What we are going to discuss here are two of my favorite small folders for arming women. The number one issue with getting women to carry self-defense tools always seems to be comfort. They are not built like men, and unlike some of us, not willing to let their self-defense tools dictate what they wear. What I like about these two particular knives are their blade design which makes them effective for slashing and ripping as well as their small sizes that ensures they will be carried.

The role of these knives that I considered while selecting these knives was that of a last ditch self-defense folder. A knife that can be carried and accessed during a sexual assault or abduction. Assailants will often turn their backs on female victims, especially those they believed to be unarmed.

In regards to carry options, it would be best if these knives could be carried on the person, but again in reference to the feminine wardrobe this may not always be possible. Pocket or waistband carried is preferred, but having it clipped into a bag that is carried is another option.

The small size of these knives would not lend them to fast deployment during a spontaneous attack. The idea is that these knives are small enough to be palmed and secreted allowing them to be deployed when the opportunity arises.

Regardless of the climate, the attackers face, neck, and hands are likely to be exposed and these are the primary targets for these little blades. The secondary targets, especially during an attack, are going to be the inside of the upper arms and inner thighs targeting the brachial and femoral arteries. Slashing is the most natural defensive action but lends itself to being easily defended against due to the movement outside the silhouette of the attacker. If possible, a better tactic is to use the hooks on the blade, set them into the target areas, and move your whole body causing a ripping injury.

Now that we have covered the selection, carry, deployment, and use, lets look at two of my favorite knives for this role.

First up is the Boker Subclaw designed by Chad Los Banos. This knife, beyond a shadow of a doubt, is the best value in a production knife currently available. It’s claw like blade shape and frame lock design makes it a real winner. It also sports a nice thick pocket clip. Retailing at around $25 makes it a great gift idea. I have spoken to both Chad and Boker about doing a trainer/drone for this model.

SUBI.jpg

SUBII.jpg

The second knife, unfortunately no longer in production by Spyderco, is the Meerkat. If you can find one, expect to pay around $40. This little knife fills the hand better than some much larger knives. The tip of this blade also lends itself to ripping at exposed vital targets.

meerkatII.jpg

MeekatI.jpg

openknives.jpg

Once you pick up one of these little knives, or something along the same lines, doing some practice is pretty easy. Take some milk jugs or soda bottles and fill them up with water and hang them up about 5’9 inches from the ground (what the FBI says is the average height of a criminal) and practice both slashing and setting the hook and ripping. You will soon appreciate the effectiveness of these little blades.

mfrobert

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Hey mercop, knowing your affinity for spyderco I'm surprised I don't see a pretty little pink delica up there :)

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Urimun
    Top Bottom