• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    If you do it please put a video on youtube of you shooting stuff.
    I don't have a Judge? It is my understanding that they are not the best .45 LC that Taurus makes and most .410 slugs are around 90 grns. A slug like this, on the other hand, would do the trick if it is safe to shoot.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    Would it be safe to load a 370 grn slug in a Taurus Judge?
    Big 410 Slug Ammo from Hoening Big Bore Slug LLC

That would be a self defense load!
    Apparently not suggested.
    HBBS 410 Frequently Asked Questions

We do not recommend use of HBBS 410 ammo in anything but HBBS 410 chambered guns and we will not make a determination for appropriate use in other chambers. This is best done by a competent gun smith after inspection of the fire arm and proposed ammunition. The main reason for this in the case of 45/410 guns like the Judge is the oversize bore of the 45/410. The HBBS slugs are on the large side of the S.A.A.M.I. specs for 410 bore but are not large enough to perform well in a .45 bore barrel. Also the powder used is selected for performance in shotgun or rifle length barrels. Use in a shorter "pistol length" barrel is likely to produce quite a fireball and blast due to excessive blow-by and unburned powder exiting the shorter barrel. Accuracy will diminish also with less than complete contact with rifling.

jim7310

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    Westfield
    HBBS slugs in Circuit Judge?

I thought it was interesting that Hoening did not say that their slugs were unsafe in chambers other than those cut to their specifications only that they did not "recommend" it and that they "we will not make a determination for appropriate use in other chambers".

The Circuit Judge is (to my knowledge) one of the first rifled .410 bore long-barrel firearms to be widely available in a long time. Hoening has quite a bit riding on their propietary chambering, I suspect that the wide acceptance of an alternate, widely (comparitively) available commercial rifle which would shoot their ammunition would hurt them. They also have put a lot into proving the accuracy of the high-velocity .410 slug - I would imagine that if another firearm which would shoot their ammunition (possibly the Circuit Judge), but not as accurately as their own barrels could degrade their accuracy reputation.

I hunt with an Encore and I thought this slug looked like THE answer back when all rifles were taboo in IN. Even now, if the accuracy was tolerable, you are looking at close to .45-70 ballistics in a revolving rifle (if the loads worked at all in the rifle). Hoening does say that " Laboratory pressure testing by H.P. White Laboratories, Inc indicate chamber pressure for our production slug ammunition within S.A.A.M.I. specs for 410 bore ". I suppose the slug diameter relative to the goove diameter of the barrel (and forcing cone?) in the C. Judge would be the deciding factor regarding the usefulness of HBBS slug in that handy little gun.

Why bother? Well first it is a cool little carbine - but a rifle without a use is not that interesting to me. I would make a decent early-season squirrel gun, possibly; having it capable of decent performance on deer would be a great plus. And secondly, I like the idea of the HBBS slugs and being able to shoot them in a repeating, multi-use firearm is more appealing to me than shelling-out for an expensive single-purpose barrel.

I have not yet done a thorough search of the web for any discussions of people testing this rifle/cartridge combination; although I will be doing so. I am intrigued enough by the C. Judge that I might just buy one if I can find any encouragement that these slugs have potential.

Jim

Kveldulf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    Tippecanoe County
    Disappointing. I got really excited when I read the title of the thread, only to be let down in the actual reading. It still wouldn't convince me to buy a Judge, though, even if it could; I'd just like to watch videos of it online.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    Disappointing. I got really excited when I read the title of the thread, only to be let down in the actual reading. It still wouldn't convince me to buy a Judge, though, even if it could; I'd just like to watch videos of it online.
    There was a time when I wanted a Judge. Then I found out about Hi Point. I bought my .45 for $169 and my 12 ga SxS for $150. Way more firepower than a Judge!

If I did buy a Judge I would load it with these
    s7_217422_999_02

Winchester .410 3" 000 Buckshot with Dry-Storage Box, Shotgun Ammunition, Ammunition, Shooting : Cabelas.com

Top Bottom