• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    So I just did my first Appleseed event and anyone that has done one knows how much a sling plays a role.

The usgi sling left a lot to be desired as far as ease of adjustments. Is there one that is the same design but better functioning? Or do I just not be a wimp and figure it out?

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    So I just did my first Appleseed event and anyone that has done one knows how much a sling plays a role.

The usgi sling left a lot to be desired as far as ease of adjustments. Is there one that is the same design but better functioning? Or do I just not be a wimp and figure it out?
    There are various types of USGI slings, first... what type were you using?

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    There are various types of USGI slings, first... what type were you using?

I like the idea a lot but the buckles were a challenge

Edit to add before I get flamed:

I could overcome this issue but it is not just for me. Just wanting to see if there are other options so I can still make the loop sling for positions but be able to adjust for prone and standing more easily.

Attachments

• 78A678C4-9595-4EE7-A986-A978947B8B93.png
      78A678C4-9595-4EE7-A986-A978947B8B93.png
      855.7 KB · Views: 7

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo

I own the vtac. Very easy to use

Last edited:

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis

I could overcome this issue but it is not just for me. Just wanting to see if there are other options so I can still make the loop sling for positions but be able to adjust for prone and standing more easily.
    Try and find an real GI sling, the repros are of dubious quality.

The best one is a USGI Nylon sling with those buckles.
    Punch 1005-01-083-8113 into the popular auction site, and you will find several.

zsling8113.jpg

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    You want a leather 1907 style sling. Eric Holis makes the absolute best, Creedmoor sports also carries fine leather 1907 slings. Turner makes a good sling as well.
    Several vendors at Camp Perry will have them on hand this summer

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven

Did you earn your patch? Post your pictures & scores.
    I earned mine in 2019.....after having shot high power for years I felt it was easy & I double patched in one day........

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven

As a high power shooter we don't use a sling in offhand & if you can over come that, a full match rifle (dog collar) is a great option

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy

Stick with the WW2 era cotton GI sling for Appleseed & RR marksmanship style classes. Not many other slings make a good loop sling and stay put on your upper bicep.

Other sling styles will suit you better for two gun, Run-n-Gun, carbine classes, etc. I use Urban Tactical slings for RnG but when I needed to take the 929 yard unsupported shot, switched to my GI web sling.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Just wanting to see if there are other options so I can still make the loop sling for positions but be able to adjust for prone and standing more easily.
    Highly recommend marking the sling (sharpie or sewn w/ contrasting thread) for each position. It will vary depending on your attire, but will give you some quick references for adjustments.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I use this one from Short Action Precision and like it a lot for this specific kind of shooting. As a general sling, though, it's a little busy. For everything else I use a BFG Vickers, but it doesn't have any provisions to make a cuff (although I used it in one class and added a tri-glide which worked fairly well).

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Did you earn your patch? Post your pictures & scores.
    I earned mine in 2019.....after having shot high power for years I felt it was easy & I double patched in one day........
    This is my first ever event like this…. So one I would have had except my daughter decided to help me out on my target. Next one I had a 209…… (no matter how many people scored it lol) and 3rd and final I scored a 206 because I had a dud cartridge loaded another and put the shot on the wrong target (bottom row) lol I put 2323 instead of 2233 lost track of where I was.

So. All the excuses aside….. I will be back. And I will know better what I am getting myself into. I was also managing my two kids who have never done anything like this either! I definitely wouldn’t trade the experience with my daughters for all the patches though!

Maybe working with the sling more and marking it is the way to go.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    This is my first ever event like this…. So one I would have had except my daughter decided to help me out on my target. Next one I had a 209…… (no matter how many people scored it lol) and 3rd and final I scored a 206 because I had a dud cartridge loaded another and put the shot on the wrong target (bottom row) lol I put 2323 instead of 2233 lost track of where I was.

So. All the excuses aside….. I will be back. And I will know better what I am getting myself into. I was also managing my two kids who have never done anything like this either! I definitely wouldn’t trade the experience with my daughters for all the patches though!

That's awesome that you got your girls there.....GOOD ON YOU!!!

How did they do and did they take anything from it?

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Stick with the WW2 era cotton GI sling for Appleseed & RR marksmanship style classes. Not many other slings make a good loop sling and stay put on your upper bicep.

Other sling styles will suit you better for two gun, Run-n-Gun, carbine classes, etc. I use Urban Tactical slings for RnG but when I needed to take the 929 yard unsupported shot, switched to my GI web sling.

Others may differ, but I still like the cotton best.....seems to have less "slip".

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    That's awesome that you got your girls there.....GOOD ON YOU!!!

How did they do and did they take anything from it?

yes they did and yes they are ready to go back. They were particularly fond of the DOM stories because they already had heard the other bit from books.

My youngest (7) stayed prone and high score was 150 my oldest (10) did it by the book and scored 120

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    yes they did and yes they are ready to go back. They were particularly fond of the DOM stories because they already had heard the other bit from books.

My youngest (7) stayed prone and high score was 150 my oldest (10) did it by the book and scored 120

Great stuff right there!!!!

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven

Very nice! Hope you stay at until you patch!
    If you like this you should (heavily) consider coming to Camp Perry and shooting rimfire sporter with us.
    Have you ever considered shooting High power?

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    So one I would have had except my daughter decided to help me out on my target. Next one I had a 209…… (no matter how many people scored it lol) and 3rd and final I scored a 206 because I had a dud cartridge loaded another and put the shot on the wrong target (bottom row) lol I put 2323 instead of 2233 lost track of where I was.
    There's always a lot going on!

Write your name (in COLOR) between two stages so you (and hopefully they) can see it.
    Be prepared for a malfunction.
    If you lose track, switch to the other side and work backwards until you run out.

Keep at it and try to involve another! The rest of us are slow learners too and the misery is best when shared:buddies:

Top Bottom