• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    It's not a question of stripper clips vs. removable mags. It's a question of removable mag vs. fixed mag. With the fixed mag, if you pull the bolt back, it locks without having to stick your finger in the well, find the lock, and push it up while holding the bolt. That's a few seconds you'll not get back.

No I understand all that. What I'm saying though is that I leave a mag in the rifle already. When that one is spent the bolt will lock back in place allowing you to remove and then insert a fresh mag without having to do all that manually. When the follower of the mag reaches the top, it pushes that locking mechanism in place and leaves the bolt resting against it. When you remove the detachable mag, the bolt stays in place putting pressure against the locking mechanism allowing you to insert another mag freely.

While it may take a little longer inserting that new mag in an SKS vs say, an AK, you will eventually get used to it becoming just as fast. All that takes is practice.

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    No I understand all that. What I'm saying though is that I leave a mag in the rifle already. When that one is spent the bolt will lock back in place allowing you to remove and then insert a fresh mag without having to do all that manually. When the follower of the mag reaches the top, it pushes that locking mechanism in place and leaves the bolt resting against it. When you remove the detachable mag, the bolt stays in place putting pressure against the locking mechanism allowing you to insert another mag freely.

While it may take a little longer inserting that new mag in an SKS vs say, an AK, you will eventually get used to it becoming just as fast. All that takes is practice.

Yeah, I just need to get used to it.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    The only problem with the bolt catch is that it works on pressure. The smallest bump to the rifle will cause the catch to drop and the bolt to slam forward. Of course in dire need, you can alway just put the butt on the ground and hold the bolt open while you insert a new mag.

Or just buy that $80 bolt and not worry about it. I just keep looking at it wondering how a gunsmith would be involved. Obviously it's not going to slip into the lower bolt assembly, so does it replace the whole assembly or just the upper part? I would think the whole assembly but I could be wrong.

Got another question. Does anyone have an SKS with a spring loaded firing pin instead of the stock free-floating firing pin?

Top Bottom