• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Would like to get some Night Vision, just stumbled across this brand/type while watching "Themanspot" video on IG.

A quick search in the internet revealed that it's the best of the "low cost" options. I tried searching INGO, some popped up, but when I tried to go to link, kept getting "something went wrong message". Maybe old software/system

Anybody school me on these, or recommend something better?

Elcardo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 14, 2020
    Ft.wayne
    Would like to get some Night Vision, just stumbled across this brand/type while watching "Themanspot" video on IG.

A quick search in the internet revealed that it's the best of the "low cost" options. I tried searching INGO, some popped up, but when I tried to go to link, kept getting "something went wrong message". Maybe old software/system

Anybody school me on these, or recommend something better?
    What is your intended use ? Theres a good video about this unit from trex arms , kindly shows you what it will and wont do and explains why

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    What is your intended use ? Theres a good video about this unit from trex arms , kindly shows you what it will and wont do and explains why
    No real use, always been fascinated by this technology & while I don’t need a several thousand dollar system, I don’t want to just throw away $900 on junk.

Elcardo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 14, 2020
    Ft.wayne
    No real use, always been fascinated by this technology & while I don’t need a several thousand dollar system, I don’t want to just throw away $900 on junk.
    I meant like do you just want it to look around at night with it? Or did you want to try to mount to some kind of head gear and use it as an nvg? ....doesnt look like the technology is good enough for nvg use but definitely check out that vid ....they explain it and even try shooting with it

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I meant like do you just want it to look around at night with it? Or did you want to try to mount to some kind of head gear and use it as an nvg? ....doesnt look like the technology is good enough for nvg use but definitely check out that vid ....they explain it and even try shooting with it
    Headgear as nvg, thank you for your help.

BR8818

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 20, 2018
    Anderson
    Headgear as nvg, thank you for your help.
    Honestly if your planning on head mounting it I would pass its not really designed for that. I think you would be disappointed.

I've looked through one a guy had and to me even gen2 blows it away.

I would personally recommend buying one of these over the Sionyx Aurora.
    1. AGM wolf 14 gen2+/ Bering optics gt14 $1500

2. a pvs-14 gen2+ $2000 or a used pvs-14 gen3 $2000

3. Pvs-14 gen3 Elbit xlsh $2500 these have long lead times.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    "low cost" and "nightvision" don't belong in the same sentence.

The best entry level option is a used pvs-14 with a gen 3 tube. You can score one for as low as $2400 sometimes if you get lucky. That's about as cheap as it's going to get for night vision.
    Then you'll need about another $1-2k for a helmet and mounting equipment.

Stay away from the frauds like sionyx, there's plenty of video online letting you see just how much of a joke the system is. Your digital camera can do the same thing if you remove the IR filter.

There's photocathode pumped cmos systems out there in the digital realm that are legit, but you're talking about $40,000+ vehicle mounted systems. https://www.x20.org/27-2/

Last edited:

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Helmet mounted aurora black's make an acceptable hog/coyote rig. The lag takes a bit of getting used to. But they will work and work well. The big downfall is how bad they wash out with an illuminator

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 6, 2009
    Jasper county
    Having personal experience with both the sionyx pro and Gen 3+ pvs 14s, I can say in my opinion the sionyx pro was not worth it. Pvs is $3k vs $1k sionyx, however it is 10x better sight quality and image IMHO.

The pvs with no IR light is substantial better than sionyx with IR...

PTinbound

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    DeMotte
    I agree with Garagegunmaker. A legit, real PVS-14 gen 3 totally blows away the SiOnyx. I got mine from JRHenterprises.com. Having said that, if all I ever had or knew it was the SiOnyx, it is better than nothing. If all you had was $600 (or$1000 for the pro), you could mount it on an AR with a $50 IR light from Amazon and a red dot with a NV setting and you could use that. The SiOnyx is pretty worthless without the IR light but it’s acceptable with it. If I didn’t also have a real PVS I’d probably rave about how cool and good the SiOnyx is, but when you put it next to a gen 3 PVS the SiOnyx looks like cheap junk worthless garbage. If you want to see both come on up to Demotte.

Top Bottom