• ...and so much more!
  • amallen1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Terre Haute
    Could someone please help?

I have a Remington 700 .243 that has a few years on it, but is in excellent shape... And, I cannot seem to get this stupid scope sighted in. I have gotten the scope correct on the right to left axis, but It is all over the place when adjusting the vertical axis.

I can promise you one thing. The targets I have, are the safest targets this side of the Mississippi.:n00b:

Last edited:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    What scope base/rings and scope are you using?

Are you sure nothing's broken? (or the wrong parts entirely?)

-J-

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    How is the rifle grouping with the ammo you are using, with out changing anything?
    I would take the rife out to the range and using sand bags fire three to six groups of three rounds each at separate targets, letting the rifle cool between groups. If you are close enough to hit at 100 yards fine, other wise move back to 25 or 50 yards., Once you know the rifle is shooting ok or not, can move on.

- If the rifle is shooting consistent, then measure the center of each group to the aiming point (i.e. a small red dot). One you average the distance up or down that needs to be moved, then you can dial in half of that and try again with another 3 shot group, with all other things the same (ammo lot, ammo brand, bullet weight, scope power setting etc.) Note that at 50 yard you have to move the scope twice as far as 100 yards, which is typically what the marks or clicks are.

- You scope may take a few rounds to settle in after moving, thus if any question shoot a second group. Then proceeded to zero the rifle and move back to 100 yards as you get close. If adjustments are still flaky even with the second group each time, them may need a new scope or repairs or at least tightening screws on the mount/rifle.

If the rifle will not shoot a group of say less than 3 inches at 100 yards (on sand bags, with a good rest and a shooter that has done this before on a different rifle), then need check the scope mounting, mounting of scope base, the scope, gun beading / screw and a good bore cleaning while at it ;-).

jackadew

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Washington Co.
    Is it a new scope? If used did it work correctly on the previous gun? Is it mounted correctly? More than likely someone has forced the adjustments and stripped them out. If you don't get answer thats fixes your problem PM 42769Vette from A&A Optics.

amallen1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Terre Haute
    The scope that is on it is the Bushnell 3-9 power that my grandfather placed on it 30 years ago... It sat for 25 years without use, and only came out of the safe for inspection and oiling. Maybe it is just time for a new scope... I am using Winchester Super X Ammo.

I'll take it to the range, and see what I can do with the advice from JTinIN.

Thanks for the tips!

jackadew

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Washington Co.
    How is the rifle grouping with the ammo you are using, with out changing anything?
    I would take the rife out to the range and using sand bags fire three to six groups of three rounds each at separate targets, letting the rifle cool between groups. If you are close enough to hit at 100 yards fine, other wise move back to 25 or 50 yards., Once you know the rifle is shooting ok or not, can move on.

- If the rifle is shooting consistent, then measure the center of each group to the aiming point (i.e. a small red dot). One you average the distance up or down that needs to be moved, then you can dial in half of that and try again with another 3 shot group, with all other things the same (ammo lot, ammo brand, bullet weight, scope power setting etc.) Note that at 50 yard you have to move the scope twice as far as 100 yards, which is typically what the marks or clicks are.

- You scope may take a few rounds to settle in after moving, thus if any question shoot a second group. Then proceeded to zero the rifle and move back to 100 yards as you get close. If adjustments are still flaky even with the second group each time, them may need a new scope or repairs or at least tightening screws on the mount/rifle.

If the rifle will not shoot a group of say less than 3 inches at 100 yards (on sand bags, with a good rest and a shooter that has done this before on a different rifle), then need check the scope mounting, mounting of scope base, the scope, gun beading / screw and a good bore cleaning while at it ;-).

This is good advice...but it also a perfect example of what you have to go thru everytime you shoot with "some" cheaper scopes. I always recomend buying a top of the line scope. Until you do you will not know what i'm talking about. OP as far as a 30 year old Bushnell (should be made in Japan) it should be dependable as far as tracking goes. Good Luck and let us know how it turns out.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    The scope that is on it is the Bushnell 3-9 power that my grandfather placed on it 30 years ago... It sat for 25 years without use, and only came out of the safe for inspection and oiling. Maybe it is just time for a new scope... I am using Winchester Super X Ammo.

Thanks for the tips!

id say its the scope, but do not overlook rings. over torqued rings reak as much havic as under torqued rings. let me know if i can be of assistance

Roscoe38

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Scope

Thanks for the tips!

Optics that sit unused for a long period of time may become impaired by the dust that is in the air all the time. I'd say put a newer scope on and don't mess with the basic set up.. I've got a bag full of Nikon lenses that sat in a camera bag for four to five years and the apperature rings are locked they are just junk. So your elevation adustment could be sufering the same ailment.

amallen1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Terre Haute
    I actually went back to the range on Saturday afternoon, and with the advice of some fellow INGOer's, some patience, and about $40 in ammo... (Oh, I failed to mention the bore laser).

I was able to get it sighted in fairly solid at 100 yards.

I figure, I'll give it a week or two and see if I can begin to branch out further down range.

Thanks for all of the tips.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    Ammo can also be a factor to consider. Some guns just won't shoot certain brands and weights of ammo worth a crude. You will also need to experiment with different brands and weight bullets to find what THAT particular rifle likes. This can and will get expensive, but its the best way to get the most out of your rifle, even if you reload, improving accuracy is a trial and error method.

If you think what you have is shooting decent, don't be afraid to try to find one that shoots better. In the end, "decent" may be all that rifle is capable of without delving into other means of improving accuracy (bedding, truing action, etc......)

Dirty Steve

Top Bottom