• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    So if I drive a $30,000 truck, buy a fancy $500 suit and $500 Gucci shoes and have a $1000 gun in my pocket will ya take my word for it I'm a working tax paying citizen of the country at the airports.

Well I'm not a LEO nor do I work at the airports, but if I did I'd take your word for it. Doesn't mean I'll take your word for not being a criminal, or a scumbag, or a domestic terrorist.

Since the cause of that attitude was brought up I'll be glad to share the reasoning behind it. It's years of seeing that attitude from police, one law for us and another for the rest of the people. It's cops speeding to the doughnut shop or making a 90 mile an hour run with their family to the mall in Indianapolis because their time is way more important than the regular citizens. It's cops joshing and joking around with the prosecutor and judge 5 minutes before a trial and then acting all belligerent if a defendant has the nerve to question the possibility of getting a fair trial.

I've seen cops racing to the doughnut shop.(literally I have), I've never seen a LEO doing 90 with their family in the car. Except perhaps once on I65. But I was doing a bit over 80 myself with my family in the car so... And for the cop joking with the prosecutor and judge before the trial. Can you be friends with someone and still be objective? I personally can be, I've went out had a beer with a buddy then had to have him written up at work the next day, then went out and had a beer with him that night. Hell I've had my defense attorney joking with the prosecutor and judge during my hearing. Did I think it was unfair? Nope.

It's politics, politicians and their government thug enforcers treating the citizens of this country like they are a commodity for them to regulate and make most efficient use of to their own best interest. You say you are not "one of them" but you signed up for the job and picked your side. Don't act now like you didn't. When the man next up the line puts his name on an order you are going to say how high, not "is this constitutional?" You couldn't currently be on the police payroll and not have done it already.

This last paragraph is the one I have the most problem with. Not all LEOs are government thug enforcers, in fact I'd say its probably the minority that are. I'm glad to have, I'd guess 95+% of the officers we have. The very large majority of them are in their profession to actually help people. There is a minority that are in it for the power but that is the minority.

This thread proves it once again:

arguing_over_internet.jpg

I'll take the bravery of someone who risks his life for people he doesn't know, on a daily basis, over the internet bravado of some blowhard with authority issues and a computer.

:cool:

So who won? And I take offense at the line "over the internet bravado of some blowhard with authority issues and a computer." What bravado have I shown other than stateing I might be willing to become a test case? Or any other poster in this thread? I've actually admited being a chicken(not in this thread). By stating that I'll most likely follow any orders given to me by a LEO. And myself I do not consider myself a blowhard nor do I have authority issues. I have no problem with any ticket I have ever received, nor any arrest(I do have problems with charges leading to a arrest though). I do admit to owning a computer though.

Oh it's ok. I KNOW what kind of job I do and person I am. I will take his OPINION of them with a grain of salt. I need to go spit shine my Jackboots.

+1 for making me laugh

Every one's entitled to an opinion. Funny how you can get good reps and bad reps in the same thread and never change yer opinion.

Seems to be a dividing line there some where, looks to me to be pretty close along the "in the service of the king" and every one else that makes the difference. Seemed to hit about the same division of opinion between the sherrif of Nottingham and the surrounding communities they pillaged with the full legal blessing of their authorities.

Hell I've received pos and neg rep for the same post in another forum before. And the dividing line seems to be the people that agree and the people that disagree with you. Not those in "service of the king" or not. In this thread, their have been officers saying they check the ltch of anyone they see carrying to a couple that say they might ask "do you have a license". And non LEO's argueing both sides also.

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    I will tell on myself a little bit here. I don't know if it was this thread or another, but I had said that I had never written a ticket to someone that offered up the fact that they were CC AND offered up their LTCH. Well tonight I was working a traffic detail and did write someone a ticket that offered that information up front.

I will say in my defense though that it literally ate at me for about 2 hours before I got his phone number and called him to forget about the ticket because I had already shredded it. Was it the fact that he seemed like an good guy? Was it the fact that he had his wife and children with him? Nope.......my final descion was based SOLELY on the fact that he offered up that information without being prompted in any way. Now, if he hadn't told me would I have known? Nope......but he would have had a $169 speeding ticket.

Just thought I would post this to let some of you see that while yes we (LEO's) do make mistakes, we are not all "Jack booted thugs" or KGB Agents". And in this case I mean a mistake by me doing something, at least initally, that I said I would never do. While I took the steps to correct that in my own mind, I still did it initially.

Lawguns

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    It's politics, politicians and their government thug enforcers treating the citizens of this country like they are a commodity for them to regulate and make most efficient use of to their own best interest. You say you are not "one of them" but you signed up for the job and picked your side. Don't act now like you didn't. When the man next up the line puts his name on an order you are going to say how high, not "is this constitutional?" You couldn't currently be on the police payroll and not have done it already.
    You are 100% wrong. I would never enforce a law that I believe to be unconstitutional. Further more when we swear to enforce the laws of Indiana that includes the Indiana Constitution, which further gives us the rights to carry a gun for personal protection. I would not enforce a law that orders the disarming of civilians and I know there are plenty of other officers that agree with me. I admit I have heard some officers say they would welcome those laws and do not think that civilians have the right to posses guns. I have argued with them till I am blue in the face but they just don't get it. I can't speak for all officers but I can speak for my self when I say don't group us. You don't want us to group you with out knowing you so don't do that to us.

JHAWK1980

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Indianapolis
    This actually happened to you? :eek:

I'm afraid I wouldn't have been able to contain my displeasure with such treatment.

Any other circumstances relevant to this story?
    on more than one occasion I am 28 have tatoos so I am labeled a gang banger or drug dealer (I work at CAT) I guess I just look like the bad guy have no record other than fishing w/o consent (shelbyville) I dont blame LEO'S cause I choose to OC but there are different ways to go about the situation when children are envolved

JHAWK1980

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I hope you are kidding or at least exaggerating.... Coming up behind someone and grabbing at their gun is a good way to get yourself killed...
    NO! not a joke at all this happens to people all the time twice to me the first time I had no warning the officer drew my weapon from my holster before I had time to react while the other officer handcuffed me at CVS on washington and sherman in 2005 only that time he kept my ammo after that I stopped OC'ing as he told me it was illegal only to find out 1yr later that it is MY RIGHT TO CARRY AS I PLEASE! Evan after wal-mart I will continue to OC only I am more cautious of EVERYONE I have actually thought about making a large print copy of my LTCH and wearing it when out and about honestly if I was going to rob wal-mart.... would I bring my wife and kids along for the ride???

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    NO! not a joke at all this happens to people all the time twice to me the first time I had no warning the officer drew my weapon from my holster before I had time to react while the other officer handcuffed me at CVS on washington and sherman in 2005 only that time he kept my ammo after that I stopped OC'ing as he told me it was illegal only to find out 1yr later that it is MY RIGHT TO CARRY AS I PLEASE! Evan after wal-mart I will continue to OC only I am more cautious of EVERYONE I have actually thought about making a large print copy of my LTCH and wearing it when out and about honestly if I was going to rob wal-mart.... would I bring my wife and kids along for the ride???

I'm thinking a polite but clearly worded letter to the chief of whichever dept. was involved, informing him of the actions of his officers might be in order. Given your stated situation, I would likely have made an appointment to see him the next day in person and expressed my displeasure at being treated like a criminal solely because of tattoos, age, and the fact that I chose to carry my firearm lawfully. Depending upon the chief's response, (which would be recorded by a tape in my pocket), I might then consider contacting an attorney to review the circumstances and advise me of my options and his recommended course to follow, upon which I would be basing my decision as to how to proceed.

Note that I did not say I would be suing. I also did not say I would not do so. :twocents:

Blessings,
    Bill

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Wow. I thought it was a joke as well. That could go very ugly very fast.

I would do as Bill suggested and take it up the chain of command.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    the funny thing is the DNR said the corn I was using to fish with was contraband and could be confiscated<---spelling:laugh:

That is funny. Whats not funny is they probably could of confiscated your car, pole, any and all tackle you had. They can confiscated anything that was used in the "crime" and if you used a car to get there well.... Which is why if I drive I make sure to ask if everyone has their license.

JHAWK1980

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Indianapolis
    That is funny. Whats not funny is they probably could of confiscated your car, pole, any and all tackle you had. They can confiscated anything that was used in the "crime" and if you used a car to get there well.... Which is why if I drive I make sure to ask if everyone has their license.
    yeah he told me he could take my car and my tackle and when I went to court the judge let me know all of this agian and gave me a $246 fine I paid and have never been back to shelbyville agian but I did offer dnr my car keys but not letting go of my tackle box or poles so easily lol

Mr.Hoppes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    New Goshen IN
    In my opinion there should be some common sense involved. Why be a dick to the cop if you have nothing to hide. The officer doesn't know you from any other BG until you prove him wrong. He sees a man with a gun and doing his job to make sure you are legally carrying and not some "thug". Just my 2 cents.

OK, slippery slope time.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    You are 100% wrong. I would never enforce a law that I believe to be unconstitutional.

+1

Further more when we swear to enforce the laws of Indiana that includes the Indiana Constitution, which further gives us the rights to carry a gun for personal protection.

+1

I would not enforce a law that orders the disarming of civilians and I know there are plenty of other officers that agree with me.

+1

I can't speak for all officers but I can speak for my self when I say don't group us. You don't want us to group you with out knowing you so don't do that to us.

Agreed. And unfortunatly I can only rep you once. At least right now anyway.

I had no warning the officer drew my weapon from my holster before I had time to react while the other officer handcuffed me at CVS on washington and sherman in 2005 only that time he kept my ammo

As has been said before. Complain and work your way up the ladder. And IANAL but wouldn't keeping your ammo be theft? Could you press charges for that alone?

Top Bottom