• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    On 31 July 21, I bought my first shotgun. {Long story}. After much research, I went with a CZ Drake in 28ga. Few practice shoots later, and I realized I choose poorly. So I got my 2nd shotgun - Tristar Viper G2 Sporting with adjustable comb. This is not a good time to try to find ammo to stockpile, I started with no shotgun ammo. Lots and lots of range time, tips tricks and hints from anyone and everybody. This all led up to my first trap session last Friday, 24 Aug, followed by a day of sporting clays on Saturday, at the Howard County Izaak Walton League in Kokomo. On the trap shoot, I scored 15, 15, and 20. Then the line was moved back to the 26 yard mark, and I scored a 12. On the sporting clays trail, I scored 47/100. There were three rabbit stations, and I never did figure out how to shoot those.

I am happy with what I have done so far, this new sport shooting is fun and challenging. Think I will keep up on it.

Gratuitous photos from both days. Me, my friend, my other friend, friend 1's daughter and her boyfriend were the shooters.
    trap-6.jpg

trap-1.jpg

sc-flurry.jpg

sport-clay-2.jpg

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I can't think of a better way to spend the day than with my O/U on a sporting clays course. I try to go to Indian Creek once a month.

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    When shooting trap and you miss, usually you are shooting behind the bird. If you shoot a lot get a Mec reloader. Dig Remington hulls out of the trash when you shoot.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    That is not bad at all, for a first try by a beginner. You actually have a pretty decent starting arsenal. It looks like your second purchase got you exactly what you needed, plus you have a small goofing-around gun for when you put the big one away.

Don't get rid of that 28 ga. It isn't a beginner gun, but trust me, your skills will eventually progress to where you will get enjoyment out of messing around with it (you will have to reload for it, though, because 28 ga ammo is like, ouch).

Two tips,

1) on the rabbits, start by using an open choke, pass by them from behind and slap the trigger when it looks like you're shooting right at it (but keep moving), and

2) stay away from the 26 yard trap line, to start. The targets look reeeally tiny flying 50 mph away from you when they're already 26 yards in front of you before they're even launched, and it is really hard to draw a connection between what you did right and what you did wrong when your hit percentage is 50% or less. It can actually make your shooting worse (missing constantly teaches you how to miss). On those targets, if you have a typical beginning hesitation, the bird will be almost 50 yards away when you shoot it, and that's very long for a beginning shotgun shot. You need to keep distances modest at first and be shooting things where you're hitting at least 60%, so your mind can draw the "connection to success." Your sporting clays success will go up pretty fast as you learn, and you're not supposed to hit all of them anyway...but 25~27 yard trap will remain frustrating for literally years.

(Ok, 3 tips...also, in that photo of you shooting...your foot position in that photo would be perfect if you were going to be shooting just to the right of the 4-wheeler over your left shoulder, or at the big tree sticking out of your head. And maybe you were going to be shooting there by the time you got done tracking the target, I can't tell. You just don't want the recoil to knock you off-balance for second shots, with your feet crossed like that).

Last edited:

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    On 31 July 21, I bought my first shotgun. {Long story}. After much research, I went with a CZ Drake in 28ga. Few practice shoots later, and I realized I choose poorly.

I am curious, what about the CZ Drake did not work for you. Was it that it was a 28 ga or? Because I was thinking about getting one in 20 ga this winter and trying my hand at shotgun sports. I have a 18.5” Mossberg 500 for the house but want something with a longer barrel for clays, etc. and my research led me to believe the Drake was a good entry level shotgun for this.
    Thanks

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    I am curious, what about the CZ Drake did not work for you. Was it that it was a 28 ga or? Because I was thinking about getting one in 20 ga this winter and trying my hand at shotgun sports. I have a 18.5” Mossberg 500 for the house but want something with a longer barrel for clays, etc. and my research led me to believe the Drake was a good entry level shotgun for this.
    Thanks
    I found out that I need a 15" length of pull, and the Drake is 14 1/4". That was the biggest problem. Put a spacer in, and I could hit targets. Then yes, the 28ga is a poor choice for a beginner. I didn't know enough to ask the right questions, just did a lot of reading. In addition I have a thing for odd calibers (.327FM, 9mm Flobert, .357SIG, etc) and the 28ga really appealed to me. I got the Tristar in 12ga and can do better with it, now.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I found out that I need a 15" length of pull, and the Drake is 14 1/4". That was the biggest problem. Put a spacer in, and I could hit targets. Then yes, the 28ga is a poor choice for a beginner. I didn't know enough to ask the right questions, just did a lot of reading. In addition I have a thing for odd calibers (.327FM, 9mm Flobert, .357SIG, etc) and the 28ga really appealed to me. I got the Tristar in 12ga and can do better with it, now.
    9mm Flobert?? That would be exceedingly hard to shoot trap with. Good for bumblebees though! :):

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I do enjoy sporting clays.

It's about the most fun I can have with a shot gun when there are no birds or dogs!

Enjoy!!

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    While you can get by with one shotgun for multiple clays sports, if you're going to be more serious about shooting one discipline than another it is best to have a gun specifically set for that.
    I shoot a lot of trap. Trap guns tend to be heavier to help reduce recoil and make the gun swing more smoothly. In trap you should always be shooting the target while it's rising. So, that's why you will see many shooters shooting a gun with a higher rib..it raises the point of impact.
    Sporting clays guns are typically a flatter shooting gun much like a field gun and are lighter & easier to swing.
    Trap guns are typically marketed from 30"-34" barrels which can help especially when shooting from longer yardage.
    Sporting clays guns seem to be anywhere from 28"-32" and sometimes as long as 34" but it's really just personal preference of how it feels when swinging it.
    I only know a few skeet shooters but those I know prefer a a flatter shooting gun like a sporting clays gun by the few I know shoot anywhere between 26"-30" barrels. But in skeet since the targets always fly in the same path at the same heights and same speeds and the distance is consistent they feel they can get away with the shorter barrel that swings faster. Again probably more personal preference.
    Check out videos on YouTube from Go Shooting. They are excellent short videos and will probably answer many questions

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I like shooting Trap. Haven't done it for years mostly because there isn't any close to me. I had a nice Citori, but it sat in my safe and it needed to go to someone who would use it.

I have decided if I ever get in a location that has some shotgun sports going on, I'll do it with my field gun.

But those Trap scores are good as far as I'm concerned. After a couple seasons, I was only averaging around 17 and I was happy with that. Maybe if I wasn't using a 28" modified field gun I would have done better, but I'm sure some of the seasoned shooters I was with could have shot a perfect round with my gun.

Enjoy!

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I like shooting Trap. Haven't done it for years mostly because there isn't any close to me. I had a nice Citori, but it sat in my safe and it needed to go to someone who would use it.

I have decided if I ever get in a location that has some shotgun sports going on, I'll do it with my field gun.

But those Trap scores are good as far as I'm concerned. After a couple seasons, I was only averaging around 17 and I was happy with that. Maybe if I wasn't using a 28" modified field gun I would have done better, but I'm sure some of the seasoned shooters I was with could have shot a perfect round with my gun.

Enjoy!
    And a fine shooting Citori it is. It gets a workout 3 or 4 times a month

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I love trap shooting I just don't have an appropriate shotgun right now, but typically like using a BT-99. I was at walmart yesterday and they had a 100rd box of 7.5's or 8's for 24.00 so I bought two.

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    I love trap shooting I just don't have an appropriate shotgun right now, but typically like using a BT-99. I was at walmart yesterday and they had a 100rd box of 7.5's or 8's for 24.00 so I bought two.
    I have been stalking my local Walmart for target load but nothing for a while.

Top Bottom