• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dobe77

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2021
    Northeast IN
    I would appreciate any opinions on what has worked well for you. I like to focus on the front sight and it is getting quite blurry. I do use cheaters when I need to see things up close (reading, computer screen, etc.)

I know some have the opinion that you should train with how it will be in the real world. With that said, I am interested in trying some safety glasses with magnification and see how I like it or if it is worthwhile.

Thanks.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I can't find the exact ones I remember seeing but if you search stick on magnifiers, you can find something. I think the company was called optix 20/20. The ones I see now are completely different.

The benefit of a stick on vs a regular pair of bifocal safety glasses is the ability to put the magnification on the top part of the lens where you would normally look through at your sights.

dobe77

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2021
    Northeast IN
    I can't find the exact ones I remember seeing but if you search stick on magnifiers, you can find something. I think the company was called optix 20/20. The ones I see now are completely different.

The benefit of a stick on vs a regular pair of bifocal safety glasses is the ability to put the magnification on the top part of the lens where you would normally look through at your sights.
    I think these might be what you were referring to:

Amazon product ASIN B000W7EDAY

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    And once you find what works for you, you can have a pair of real safety glasses made with the "bifocal" at the top.
    Also known as a "reverse bifocal."
    Another style of lens is the Double D. It has your full add at the bottom and an intermediate at the top. Think of a tri-focal lens but they moved the top seg up to the top of the lens. There is NO changing the amount of room between the two segments whereas a reverse bifocal you can order/set the height wherever you want as there is not a seg at the bottom. It literally is a bi focal turned upside down.

dobe77

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2021
    Northeast IN
    Also known as a "reverse bifocal."
    Another style of lens is the Double D. It has your full add at the bottom and an intermediate at the top. Think of a tri-focal lens but they moved the top seg up to the top of the lens. There is NO changing the amount of room between the two segments whereas a reverse bifocal you can order/set the height wherever you want as there is not a seg at the bottom. It literally is a bi focal turned upside down.
    These have what are called "upper bifocal".

https://sspeyewear.com/products/top-focal-assorted-interchangeable-kits?variant=28480526915

Last edited:

lrdudley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I use a pair of prescription shooting (safety) glasses that my optometrist wrote the script for. Bifocal on the bottom and distance on the top. Ask your optometrist if you can bring your gun, or a blue gun, to your exam. He/she will want to get a measurement for where the distance for the front sight is in focus for the bifocal. You will want the bifocal line dead center. Slight tilt of the head up or down will move the focus from the front sight to the target. My bifocal is on the bottom, but it would work the same if you had the bifocal on the top. Total cost, less the exam, was $75-$85 at Walmart Optical including safety glasses with the side shields. I chose the large Mr. Magoo style frames. They are not a fashion statement. Also, you will want the bifocal to go all the way across the lens, not just the small half moon type that grandpa used to wear.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I've got some of these that I picked up for Amazon, but didn't see them on a quick look there. Mine only have the top focal but I'd like to order a pair of these with a top and bottom focal. Top focal works great on focusing on sights with head in shooting position.

Found some on Amazon as well...

Amazon product ASIN B07JL6PYP7

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I've fought this for years. Not really a fight though, not a real choice in the matter.

I cannot train to "readers up" as part of my self defense draw. Consequently, it would be counter productive to put the cheaters on for better target shooting.

Even if somehow I could get the readers on, moving in them is problematic. Trip over anything and try to run through screens and glass doors.

Amerglo Idot Pro with the big orange dot gets me through. Still blurry, but usable.

Colts Ironman

Sua Sponte, Rangers Lead the Way
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 22, 2021
    NW Indianapolis
    I gave up. I just started wearing prescription glasses due to astigmatism and have progressive lenses. I got a pair of Oakley sport glasses without the progressive option from my eye Dr that work well. I tried wearing my progressive lenses but it causes me to have to tilt my head up or down to focus.

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    I use a pair of prescription shooting (safety) glasses that my optometrist wrote the script for. Bifocal on the bottom and distance on the top. Ask your optometrist if you can bring your gun, or a blue gun, to your exam. He/she will want to get a measurement for where the distance for the front sight is in focus for the bifocal. You will want the bifocal line dead center. Slight tilt of the head up or down will move the focus from the front sight to the target. My bifocal is on the bottom, but it would work the same if you had the bifocal on the top. Total cost, less the exam, was $75-$85 at Walmart Optical including safety glasses with the side shields. I chose the large Mr. Magoo style frames. They are not a fashion statement. Also, you will want the bifocal to go all the way across the lens, not just the small half moon type that grandpa used to wear.
    My son is an optometrist in Avon and I had him build me a pair of shooting glasses just like this. Puts the magnification right where you need it when you tilt your head to align with your sights.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola

Found this.

dobe77

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2021
    Northeast IN
    Thanks for all the great posts and thoughts on this subject! I'm not certain which way I will go, but I will report back on my experience with whatever method I try.

dobe77

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2021
    Northeast IN

Found this.
    Thank you! I tried a search, but I was evidently not using the correct search words.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    pakman415
    Top Bottom