• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • perminator

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    east side indy
    while im waiting on my multi-mount im stocking up on 9mm subsonics and since i cast for my .45acp ive been thinking about getting a mould for my 9 as well. i was wondering if anyone shoots cast bullets through their 9mm suppressors since they are sealed units and not really cleanable or am i better off just shooting jacketed/plated bullets?

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    One issue I have seen with lead cast bullets is teh consistancy ( or lack of) of the projectile. Based on that I have seen a few baffle strikes due to the inconsistant form of the projectile. Since they are being pushed at sub sonic levels you have little issue of leading a barrel but since the rear is exposed you may have some melt off that build up in the the 1st few baffles.

With the exception of the baffle strikes that I have seen, the testing never made it far enough to study the effect of lead.

fullauto 45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Dec 27, 2008
    SE Indy
    DON'T DO IT!
    It will plug up the suppressor very quickly. That will then cause the bullet to stray off course. That will sometimes come out the front of the suppressur sideways, not good. Found out the hard way. Had to have new cones and front put on mine.

harrissr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    it really depends on the tolerances inside the suppressor/ bullet clearance and the hardness of the round and the quality of the load. it also depends if you are regularly running a wire brush down the suppressor to keep the channel perfectly open and if you shoot the can wet or dry. you don't have to have a problem shooting lead thru a can if you watch what you are doing and take the precausions and stick with hard cast verses soft lead. very few can manufactures will say that it is ok to shoot lead just because of all of the responsibility that the owner must do ; and the fact is that most won't so that they have a problem with their can . i have shot lead on f/a thru cans ( which is most of my shooting )which increases the potential for difficulties but i have never had a problem. that includes .45 and 9mm thru a sionics mac can, 9mm thru a coastal and a gemtech rapror , and .22 thru a tac65. i do not exclusively shoot lead and do prefer jacked but each has been shot with lead ewnough to have a problem if there was going to be one . one of these cans has been used for over 40 years ! the only problem with a can that i had was in .308 from my hk51 and it had a baffle tolerance that was topo close and i stacked up several rounds inside on f/a and had to have the can rebuilt as the inside was trashed but the outside was basically untouched . that was made by rdts and was made of good inconel , thank heavens !

Top Bottom