• ...and so much more!
  • gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Bob-Eez for heavy thread and a Speedy Stitcher for lock stitching heavy materials and leather. Standard needles, thread and a thimble for lighter materials.

I also have two hand crank sewing machines, one of which can handle heavy materials and leather.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Ever considered what is called a Hembob.
    https://www.sailrite.com/Hembob-V-69-Style-A-Polyester-UV-Black-33-Yds
    They come in different weights of thread.

That looks like a great option! Thank you, sir!

Funny you should bring it up. I was just sewing 2" elastic bands on the inside of some of my pant and shorts pockets yesterday. I have 1 pair of tactical pants that has them in the thigh pocket and love it. Designed I think for pistol, ar, pistol mags side by side they work well for a flashlight, knife, or whatever and prevents the item from going horizontal or printing.
    For thread on gear (not just casual wear) I'm a big fan of using very lightly waxed floss. POH is my favorite for sewing, 630 lite wax is roughly 630 denier. The lite wax is barely noticeable but helps hold the multi filaments together when threading the needle and I like to think makes a little more water resistant seam.
    PERSONAL ORAL HYGIENE

https://goo.gl/images/P1yuv1
    P1yuv1

Ithe inside of my pockets on many of my cargo shorts have specifically located places for my flashlight, extra pistol mag, phone in some, and in some a piece of thin flexible plastic cutting board to prevent my Khar pm9 from printing through the pocket.

You sir, have good ideas! Can you get floss in dark colors? Or do you just use white for everything?

Yes, I have. Please don't tell me the treadle machine story, likely just anger me.

HUA.

When i had the backpack group buy and was repairing gear on a decent scale I investigated options for heavy tough fabrics. NO mom and pop sewing and alterations places would touch it. A couple were interested from a conversational standpoint and gave a tour/education. A machine thats "commercial " grade and is obviously NOT your mom's Singer can be so for reasons that have nothing to do with being able to sew tough fabrics.

Ive also used spider wire fishing line but you have to be careful. It's thin and tough and can initiate tears. Stitch design and fabric type are important.

On my living room ottoman right now.

I my town, there used to a guy who owned a shoe repair shop (learned it from his father and grandfather), but he passed years ago. Anyway, he could sew ANYTHING.

She had a sewing machine and did some sewing, she couldn't sew anything too heavy.
    About 5 years later, at the same yearly event (we never miss it), we had land and was building a homestead, and she ran into a hand cranked canvas & leather sewing machine, rough shape but was all there, so we got it. ($110 down from $250).
    I put a drive motor on it, but the hand crank is still there.

She does needle point, knits, makes a lot of canvas covers, some leather work, and generally can make about anything we need.

It's too big for what the OP intended, and weighs about 70 pounds, but it will sew harness leather, she's made knife sheaths, gun cases & holsters, although it's not her favorite stuff to do.

Keep in mind this compliments my skills, the first time I tried to sew a patch on I broke the needle off in my finger.
    I can sew a button on, and I practiced field stitches, but that's about it... Since skin staplers are so cheap, I don't even practice that anymore.

When my grandmother passed, she left behind hundreds of patterns, kids cloths, men's shirts, women's dresses, just a crap ton of that stuff in a trunk, so I grabbed it before it hit the trash. You just never know what will come in handy...

That is very cool. Being able to do any kind of repair in a SHTF situation would make indispensable in the community.

My mother taught my sister and I how to sew, by hand in with her machine. Did all kinds of projects as a kid, and still do buttons and the like.

As for a kit, they make plenty of travel sewing kits. Hit Amazon, and search for exactly that: "travel sewing kit". I have one that includes needles, a few colors of thread, and some buttons in my travel bag. We have some other small kits around the house. Beats breaking out my wife's whole arsenal just for a button.

The only "interesting" thing I can think of lately, was making some straps out of webbing and buckles. Also did some repairs on some heave-duty (10K#) straps. Much heavier needles and thread (more like fishing line).

My wife knits. Yeah, that's not "tactical", but if SHTF we will be warm.

Most of the kits I've seen have been like First Aid kits. Some are crap and some are good starts that can be made a lot better with some personal additions and deletions.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Not even joking, I've thought about doing something like this before. My daughter took me to comicon in indy and while it isn't my thing, it was a great way to spend time together with her. She likes the "making things with your hands " aspect of the costumes and I love figuring out and working with different materials.
    GeymN5F.jpg

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    POH has tactical black! It's hard to see in the pic but the handy spool container and some of the black floss thread is in there.

r4jv3VU.jpg

D'OH! I missed it the first time around. Sorry!

Do you think it's more durable than some of the heavy duty threads intended for outdoor gear?

Not even joking, I've thought about doing something like this before. My daughter took me to comicon in indy and while it isn't my thing, it was a great way to spend time together with her. She likes the "making things with your hands " aspect of the costumes and I love figuring out and working with different materials.
    GeymN5F.jpg

Haha! That's TACTICAL!

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    D'OH! I missed it the first time around. Sorry!

Do you think it's more durable than some of the heavy duty threads intended for outdoor gear?

Haha! That's TACTICAL!

I don't actually know. It is stronger than any thread I've found at any local source (Walmart, chain and mom n pop fabric stores, hobby stores..) Just handling it, I have to wrap it around a couple sticks to try and break it. Just using my hands it will cut skin before you can get it to snap. It's multi filament nylon. LOL, I had to try... Not a standardized test but I tied it to a handle, wrapped it around the handle of a 5 gallon bottle of Culligan water and with 4 laps (8 strands extending between the two) it will pick up the bottle. 3 laps (6 strands) and it snapped. 8.3lbsx5 =41.5lbs/8 strands=5.18.... I'd ballpark it at 5 lb test line? I have no idea if that logic actually holds up. :-)

Top Bottom