Sent my computer for repairs. Anyone know what to expect?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • a.bentonab

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville
    **EDIT**I got my computer back, read below

I have an Asus laptop that I've grown quite fond of. It is about 15 months old and is a ULV (ultra low voltage) model which means it uses very little power. Therefore it has plenty of power to do what I do (word processing, web browsing, some flash games) and the battery lasts about 8 hours.

ANYWAYS

I had a crack in the bezel around the screen. No biggie, it was just cosmetic and I wasn't all that concerned about it. My plan was to superglue it when I got around to it. Well the other day I was using it and all of a sudden the screen just flopped over. The hinges holding the monitor to the keyboard pretty much disintegrated. I took the bezel off and sure enough the metal parts are fine, but the plastic parts in the hinge are toast. The computer is fully functional and I backed it up before I packaged it up and sent it in to ASUS to fix it. I could have replaced a bezel myself but the parts in the hinge that were broken also runs behind the screen. Taking the screen out is above my paygrade so I shipped it in.

Their policy is the following: I pay for shipping both ways and once they receive it, they give me a quote on fixing it. I assume I will receive a call tomorrow. Anyone have a ballpark figure on what I should expect? At some point I realize it's not worth it. Looks like I could get another on ebay for about $400 and since I have no other problems with the computer, that seems to be as much as I'm willing to fix it.

Meanwhile, our 6 year old Dell 1505 is on loan from a dusty shelf. If I even THINK about unplugging it, the battery dies. Works surprisingly well though. Someone give me a holler if they want to make an offer on the Dell when this mess gets figured out.

Last edited:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    You should probably expect a visit from Chris Hanson...

Other than that, I can't help. I've never dealt with computer repair like you are.

-J-

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Dollar to a doughnut that they will tell you that it costs more to repair it than a new one costs. Thus you will be out the shipping charges and will have to buy another computer.

Hotwired

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 15, 2011
    I can fix you up with a decent one for cheap. Probably will not be as light or the 8 hour battery life. Hell I will even barter if need be.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    Just got my netbook back from asus and they fixed it on their dime and sent it back to me. They completely replaced the casing out of warranty and made sure my windows serial sticker stayed intact. Only thing I was out was 8 bucks to ship it to them.

a.bentonab

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville
    So I got my computer back today. Overall I was very impressed with Asus's customer service.

Here is the bottom line. I brought my computer to the UPS store on a Saturday. It got to Asus on Tuesday. I got it back today, Friday. I only had to pay for shipping TO them, they footed the bill on the way back. I also didn't pay anything for the repair which needed several new parts.

The only drawback was that they give you a number to track the status of your repair and a website where you can check it. I checked it frequently and it wasn't ever updated, I was surprised by the FedEx guy at the front door with it.

You can't complain for free parts/service that quick!

When I was laptop shopping I asked my computer friend what brands he recommended and he recommended Asus for their great warranty coverage. I can now safely recommend their out of warranty coverage as well!

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    So I got my computer back today. Overall I was very impressed with Asus's customer service.

Here is the bottom line. I brought my computer to the UPS store on a Saturday. It got to Asus on Tuesday. I got it back today, Friday. I only had to pay for shipping TO them, they footed the bill on the way back. I also didn't pay anything for the repair which needed several new parts.

The only drawback was that they give you a number to track the status of your repair and a website where you can check it. I checked it frequently and it wasn't ever updated, I was surprised by the FedEx guy at the front door with it.

You can't complain for free parts/service that quick!

When I was laptop shopping I asked my computer friend what brands he recommended and he recommended Asus for their great warranty coverage. I can now safely recommend their out of warranty coverage as well!

It is much easier to just call them in regards to the status. Mine was fixed and shipped in a span of about 4 hours so I never really had much time to worry.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Great to hear. I bought as Asus laptop due to the recommendation from the guy at Best Buy. He mentioned they had great customer service.

I have had the same experience on those web status things with other companies. They never do a good job putting it on there. I am not sure why they bother since no one implements the process.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Great to hear. I bought an Asus laptop due to the recommendation from the guy at Best Buy. He mentioned they had great customer service.

I have had the same experience on those web status things with other companies. They never do a good job putting it on there. I am not sure why they bother since no one implements the process.

Last edited:

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    Great to hear. I bought as Asus laptop due to the recommendation from the guy at Best Buy. He mentioned they had great customer service.

it updates from the internal reports and as such takes a bit longer to process also it cuts down on people trying to track a package that may not even be in ups or fedex's system yet

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I've never been happier about being wrong. I was basing my experience on a portable DVD player. When I get a laptop, I'm going to check out Asus.

Loar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2011
    I hear so few stories of good customer service from large companies, this is encouraging. Thanks for passing it along.

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    Good to know about both positive experiences with ASUS.

<---- Makes mental note that may influence future purchase.

Last edited:

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    chris-hansen.jpg

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    Good to know about both positive experiences with ASUS.

<---- Makes mental note that may influence future purchase.

I had to send a motherboard in one time because the bios crashed because of my stupidity. They said if they couldn't get it turned around the same day that they would send me a better model of the same one I had sent in. Not the same model, not a refurbished newer model. A brand new top of the line compatible to my hardware motherboard. They also gave me a year free of asus vip customer service which I still have 2 years later and I have several phone numbers and emails to contact support personnel directly. Every time I have talked to them they have gone above and beyond what I would ever expect out of a computer company.

I have never gotten this kind of customer service out of dell or some of the other larger companies. Another company that I am dealing with right now is mushkin. I bought a package deal on some ram and and one of them randomly failed. I sent both back in and they are sending me a brand new matched set as it is high performance ram and tested to be a "matched set." The more and more I build on my own and get a relationship built with some companies the more and more I don't look back.

Top Bottom