• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    I've been looking around for a good hammock and starting to narrow it down to a Hennessey Hammock. Does anyone have one? Pros/Cons?

Or other suggestions. Thanks.

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    Hennessey +1

I started using a Hennessey hammock a few years ago and really like it for its simplicity and comfort. I'm 6'2" and about 225. Started doing more backpacking overnights and was looking for a more comfortable night's rest.

Once you get hammock dialed in you will be in dreamland as far as comfort goes. You can sleep on your back or sides and still feel supported and comfy. I bought the expedition (the 2nd largest, I think) and it works fine. I think there is one size bigger where you could actually get two people inside...that would be one big hammock. I have two other standard sizes that my son's use.

It take a little practice but the HH and its assymetrical design is easy to use. I also use an extra overtarp to rig over the hammock which allows me to stay dry in just about all kinds of weather. Buy the "snakeskins" which make the whole thing just that much easier to use. I also incorporated some surgical tubing on my ground tieouts which keep everything snug and functional....lots of tricks to these things to add to the enjoyment..

I practiced in my yard a few nights. Get the height just right and use the special knot shape so you can get the thing untied the next day. I cut up an old thermarest to use inside as liner to sleep on. If you don't sleep "on" a insulator of some type you'll get chilled on cool nights. Lots of different ideas on this...

One thing that the hammock allows you is flexibility. You can put this thing up anywhere. Don't worry about wet ground or creepy crawlies. Get off the trail a few yards or over the next ridge to be a little more "stealthy."
    I'm not big on hitting the sack and then waking up to hear people coming up the trail at 10pm or later.

Here is a link to one of my favorite sites..."Whiteblaze" a kind of Appalachian Trail hiking forum...check it out..Lots of experienced hammock users.

Hammock Camping - WhiteBlaze - Appalachian Trail

If you haven't checked out Hennessey's website that would be a must see. Lots of info and videos.

I also checked out Clarks Hammocks, but once I started using the HH I was sold. In fact, I was going to build a support to use the hammock indoors, like in my basement. Sure beats the couch on some nights! :cool:

Good luck-hope this helps!

Pappy

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    Thanks PappyD, that's the sort of feedback I was hoping for.

I already have a Thermorest pad I had intended to add to this in order to shoot for a 4-season habitat. I have reviewed the HH website and was looking at the Expedition model for the same reasons I suspect you did: size & weight. You have an inch or so and a few pounds on me, so I was concerned the 200 pound limit on the other HH's might be lacking for durability.

Does the Expedition model have the bottom cover for the ground pad, or did you just throw in the pad under your sleeping bag. For cool to cold nights I thought of using an emergency blanket under the pad, then the pad, then a Wiggys bag on top. If that wouldn't get me through a cool to cold night I don't know what would, except a hot tub and an all night scuba bottle.:@ya:

The one thing that bothers me a little about the HH's is all of the ropes, tie-downs, etc. It looks like you almost have to be a parachute rigger to make it work right.

The one thing that really attracted me to the HH was the asymmetrical design, so that I could sleep on my side or flat on my back if I choose to or end up in that position. The entry into the hammock looks a lot easier than others also.

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    fun stuff

Here are two more links that go deeper into the whole hammock deal. The Place With No Name and Sgt Rock are sites with tons of info.

HH may be offering an outer cover to act as an insulator. I know there were others that offered homemade versions of the same thing. Trouble for me was, like other hobbies, you just start spending $$$ instead of having fun.

Anyway, last spring I hiked out on the Knobstone Trail in southern Indiana. The weather got cooler than expected (mid 40's) and I was probably 2 hours away from my car. I had the hammock, my big 12x12 silnylon overtarp, plus the tarp that comes with the HH. Inside I had the thermarest and a 8x10 el cheapo fuzzy fleece blanket. I had a tshirt, long sleeve light wool shirt and ended up putting my "frogtog" rain bottoms on. Jeans were up in the hammock as well as they added to the extra insulation. I was determined to stay out on the trail and not wimp out and head to the car. Plus, I didn't have a real highspeed light system to hike out safely. I just lowered the overtarp and tightened the ropes. I was fine.

Interesting comment about the knot tying and all. Yes, it does look like all these rigging designs would make it complicated. I think the only knot I "learned" was the Prusik knot. I use that one to slide/adjust the tension on the big tarp.

After I got my HH I set it up in the backyard after watching a couple of the how-to videos. Got inside and went "OMG, this is sooo comfortable!"

Check out the links:

Hennessy Hammock Overview

Hiking H.Q.

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    I have also been looking at the Eagles Nest Outfitters hammocks. They have some very reasonable prices and suspension capability for their products. And, I like the separate rain flys & bug nets, since they could be used for other purposes in a pinch. If they had an asymmetrical profile so that you could lay flat or on your side, it would be a harder decision. I have not had the chance to verify that, but all the pictures show the occupant lying flat on their backs and shaped like a boomerang (head and feet up, rear down).

Have not heard of the Commando name. Will do a search on it and review their products.

Thanks for all the input.

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    Thanks for all the input (even the distraction by ATM:rolleyes:).

I'm still on the fence with these, but leaning to the Hennessey Hammocks still. But to be fair, I will spend some time reviewing the ENO selection also.

Thanks also to PappyD for the very interesting links.:yesway:

Top Bottom