• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pale Rider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Too Close to Home
    Ok working on upgrading the knives on my gear. I carry two blades on my blackhawk LBE gear. One (ontario rat-3) on my chest horizontal behind my admin pouch (handle pointed to right.) And a SOG seal pup vertical on the left side of the rig. Cubby is working on a replacement for the rat-3, but I'm trying to find an affordable replacement for the SOG. I had a cold steel SRK in that position for awhile but i didn't like the balance. The knife replacing the seal pup needs to be able to take severe abuse as well as used in a last ditch CQB scenario, probably in hammer grip. I was sold on the RC-5 but ran across the scrapper 6 in another forum and it looks like it could fill the role. Any opinions??

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    I'm partial to the scrapper 6 because I have one, but really I like it more because the blade is designed more to my liking. the rc-5 is to wide for me. if you want to play with a scrapyard and are down in my neck of the woods I'd be more than happy to let you mess around with it.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    You really can't go wrong, you're good to go either way. They're both super tough, made of great materials, both great values, equal warranties.

Pale Rider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Too Close to Home
    I'd also consider an RC-6 to replace what you had. I think the RC-5 and Scrapper 6 are much thicker than the both of those. Is this for more of a combat knife or a survival knife?

This one is kind of interesting too:

Chris Reeve Knives - Optimum Quality, Optimum Performance

Combat knife, but like I told cubby when we talked about him designing a knife for me, my duty knives are tools first and knives second i want to be able to beat the crap out of them prying open car doors, busting windows, hammering through wood and concrete and even busting a door off it's hinges. Not saying this would be a daily thing for me but I want to know that I can trust my life with the knife and know that if push came to shove it would hold up to any one of the tasks listed above. It's a tall order I know, and I'm pickier than a woman shopping for a new dress!

Just spent some time checking out the link you posted, some great looking knives there! I think if I went in that direction I'd carry the knife on my left leg and leave the seal pup on my duece gear... hmm more to think about thanks for the great link SGT :patriot:

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Too Close to Home
    do you have an EOD breacher bar? Might be good to have too.

Breacher Bar EOD Robotics

After reading what you wanted it for, I'm going to order one of the above and sent to my cousin, who's an 11B deployed to Iraq right now.

I've got a $5 stanley mini pry bar in my rig right now that's pretty sturdy.

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    I like the scrapper-6 But maybe look into the scrapper 5 with Mudder grips, as it is a touch smaller, I do love my Chris reeve Pacific, but compared to your other interests most chris reeves will be a touch big except for some of the hollow handles, which will soon be discontinued, and all the hollow handles tend to have poor grips in my opinion.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    The resiprene c mudder grips are great on the scrappers, very grippy and comfortable. They seem as though they would benefit users with smaller hands, as the thicker-bladed rc5 with it's larger micarta scales accomodate my large "mitts" pretty well.

Top Bottom