• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ryninger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Newburgh
    Why not... Whats your favorite, and your standard in the cabinet?

My usual goto is Dewars.

My favorite ever since visiting their distillery on our honeymoon is Edradour!

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    I've tried a few (not as many as I'd like), and this is my favorite so far:

3408_hi_new_the_balvenie_the_balvenie_doublewood_12yo_close_up.jpg

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    I've tried some good Scotch and, unlike "good" cigars, I *can* taste the difference. However, right now I'm sipping a glass of J&B and that's what I tend to pick up at the store. A creature of habit and too little money. ;)

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I prefer the Islay scotches with more peat. The scotch that scares some is the 10 yr Laphroaig but if you don't like that, you must try the 10 yr cask strength. It is a completely different animal but you must put more water in it since it is cask strength. I just got to try the "Scotch of the Year" an Old Pulteney 21 yr and one of the most amazing was a 40 yr Laphroaig, sampled in Scotland during a distillery tour. I also prefer Caol lla and Talisker. Another fine scotch are some of the Bruichladdich's. For those that don't like the peat, a good Glenmorangie 18 year is one of the best. I have had the 21 year but for the bucks, the 18 is fine.

For blended scotches, the cheapest and not bad is Grants. I do like The Famous Grouse.

If you want to see some of the scotch's me and my friends have tried and rated, follow this link and click on:

Sorted Scotch List, Scotch Ratings, and Books

Scotch Drinkers Book Club

45-70

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Cale
    Glenlivit and Glenfiddich fan here for the last 40 years or so followed by Famous Grouse when I can find it.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Glenlivit and Glenfiddich fan here for the last 40 years or so followed by Famous Grouse when I can find it.

They are both Speyside malts, you would probably like highland malts also.

The scotch that I suggest all first timers to try is both very good and as expensive as many and that is Aberlour. It is also a Speyside.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    This is probably my favorite: not as light as a speyside, not overpowering on the smoke and peat like some of the Islays. Just a perfect mix of complexity and drinkability.

oban14years.jpg

For something with even more complexity, I like Bunnahabhain. Unlike any other Scotch out there. Very unique flavor.
    bunnahabhain12.jpg

Not a fan of the blends, really. Johnny Walker doesn't do anything for me until the green label and up.

I really miss the Scotch flights at the Irish Lion :(

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    This is probably my favorite: not as light as a speyside, not overpowering on the smoke and peat like some of the Islays. Just a perfect mix of complexity and drinkability.

oban14years.jpg

For something with even more complexity, I like Bunnahabhain. Unlike any other Scotch out there. Very unique flavor.
    bunnahabhain12.jpg

Not a fan of the blends, really. Johnny Walker doesn't do anything for me until the green label and up.

I really miss the Scotch flights at the Irish Lion :(

Although Bruichladdich is an Islay distillery, they make many different types and their usual scotch is lightly peated. A must try.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I don't know much about scotch. Does anyone know if you can try samples at Kahns? I think IndyGunWorks sampled some stuff there, but are there certain times or events or can you just show up and ask?

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    Gotta cross post from the above mentioned Whiskey thread...

"Anyway, this past weekend, at my brother-in-law's house, I got to try 3 single malts that I hadn't tried before.

Ardbeg 10yr - very peaty and kinda peppery
    Highland Park 18 - oh my! that's all I have to say
    Talisker 175th anniversary - not as much bite as the Ardbeg, but pretty damn good."

Top Bottom