• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clfergus

Expert
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    Made a 100 yard shot with my remy 870 last year across a field on a buck with iron sights. I got him but after all was said and done I would have liked a scope.

Picked up a new TC Omega this year to use and am going to add a Bushnell banner. Just trying to decide if i want a 1.5 - 4.5X32 power or a 3-9X40. I will hunt a few fields but I will also be in a tree stand in some thick woods. Wondering if the 3 power might be hard on close up shots.

Anyone have any thoughts?

rlynch25

Plinker
    Aug 11, 2009
    South East Indy
    I would go with the 3-9 also, primarily because of the larger objective lens. The 40mm will pick up more light and that is where a scope is really useful IMHO. I think you'll find that you'll keep the magnification down near the lower end most times.
    I have a 3-9x40 on my muzzleloader and keep it at 3x almost exclusively. In the woods you can "lose" the deer with high magnification.

slow1911s

Master
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I wouldn't go above 4x. If you're in thick woods you're not likely to make a shot at the end of the gun's effective range (~150 yds ?) and 4x is plenty of power while still keeping a wide field of view (FOV). Once you get past 3x, any shake you have is only multiplied by the scope. This can be especially troublesome if you're not shooting with some support or a rest.

I used a Tasco red dot on my 870 deer gun for the last 4 seasons I hunted. I thought it was plenty to take shots up to 80 yds.

Sgt Rock

Marksman
    Jun 18, 2010
    Avon, IN
    I agree. Lowest power you can get. 3X is good for just about any shot you're going to take in IN. Any shot is improved by using a rest, I use an old spotting scope tripod bought at a yard sale for $2. Works great.

antsi

Expert
    Nov 6, 2008
    I'm with slow1911 and Sgt Rock; the 1.5-4 power is plenty for deer hunting in Indiana. I'm a lot more often on the 1.5 end than the 4 end. given the same objective diameter, less magnification appears brighter which is a lot more of an issue for Indiana's twilight-dwelling deer than being able to magnify your sight picture on a deer that's 200 yards away. Just me though; maybe others have different hunting conditions?

Last edited:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I'm with slow1911 and Sgt Rock; the 1.5-4 power is plenty for deer hunting in Indiana. I'm a lot more often on the 1.5 end than the 4 end. given the same objective diameter, less magnification appears brighter which is a lot more of an issue for Indiana's twilight-dwelling deer than being able to magnify your sight picture on a deer that's 200 yards away. Just me though; maybe others have different hunting conditions?

i have a 6-18 on my muzzleloader, but my hunting situation is fairly unique. my close shots are usually 100+ and my far shots are 300+. in most indiana areas 3-9 is perfect

clfergus

Expert
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    i have a 6-18 on my muzzleloader, but my hunting situation is fairly unique. my close shots are usually 100+ and my far shots are 300+. in most indiana areas 3-9 is perfect

I was at gander today. I saw a 2-7X36 bushnell banner I am tempted to get. After coupon it would be 80.00. Little bit more magnification than a 5 power.

clfergus

Expert
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    Thanks for the input guys. I saw the bushy banner on sale for 79 bucks at Gander today so I bought it. Went with 2-7X36.

figure the 2 power will work well for woods and 7 if I am ever lucky in an open area.

Top Bottom