• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • silentvoice71

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Ft Wayne IN
    Ive been lookin into one for awhile anyone yay or nay this rifle? I have no need for a bolt gun anymore and was looking into a scar. So what do you guys think of them?

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    awesome gun from what i've heard. a facebook friend has a suppressed SCAR SBR (*drools*).

but too rich for my blood. I'll keep my DI AR until I hit that powerball.

Collin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Greenwood, IN
    They are sweet - feel great, but haven't had the opportunity to fire one. I went with the FNAR to fit my budget. Good guns coming from FN.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    There is a company that make polymer mags for the SCAR 17. If you have enough money for a SCAR, you can afford the SCAR-25 lower

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    I have a black SCAR 17 w/ Geissele Super SCAR trigger.
    Shoots great and very accurate for a battle rifle. Not as accurate as a bolt gun, but pretty darn close with the right ammo.
    I put a Vortex 1-4x on it.
    I have 23 mags for it, all factory FN.
    I ordered most of them from Brownells. Took a couple months, but they came.
    found a few mags at local gun shops.
    FAL metric mags can be modified to work. I did 3 of them and they all work 100%.
    It's a very good quality rifle and weighs in around 8 lbs naked. Not bad for a 308 rifle!

scarjackpot002.jpg

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Pretty cool, man. Way to go on stepping up to a 7.62 battle rifle. Also, way to get enough mags on the front end. I did the same thing with my FAL. Hopefully you have the ammo as well.

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    I have one. I love it. I've had all the common .308 battle rifles (M1A, HK91, FAL, etc) and like the SCAR best of all. It's as reliable as any, more accurate than most, more ergonomic than all but the AR-10s and I'm not so sure about that, recoil is so mild it makes people laugh the first time they shoot it, it comes with all the goodies like rails and sights, etc.

I've been shooting mine in multigun this year for the hell of it. It's not as fast as a 5.56 AR, but I didn't expect it to be. It's easier to use than any other .308 I've used there.
    I've shot it at a friends farm to 600. It did just fine, especially for the 1-4X scope. I have nothing to complain about there.
    As a multipurpose .30 cal rifle, you could do a lot worse.

Of the first four people who shot mine: One bought one that day, another bought one later, the third I haven't seen since but he was talking like he might, and the fourth had just used his budget on a Sig 716.

The biggest downside is expense. I have never spent so much on a non-class 3 gun before, but I have no regrets. I like it that much. If you want to justify it, I guess you can. One boring winter day, I added up the cost of the "extras" like the folding sights, adj and folding stock, sling mount points, rails, etc and came up with something like $1100. Add that to the cost of a good AR-10 and you are in SCAR territory or beyond. Of course it doesn't mean much if you aren't going to buy all that stuff, but I said you could try to justify to yourself that way if you wanted :)

Magazines were the other negative, but that got better last year. When I got mine late last summer, they were becoming available. I had no trouble finding and buying them from about August until Sandy Hook in Dec. I started getting back orders in April and have seen them at decent prices and in stock since May. The FNH eStore had them when I've looked recently. Don't let mags stop you. They are out there.

Some people complain about their triggers. It seems to me they vary. When I got mine, I looked around and basically bought the one with the best trigger. It cost a little more than at another shop, but I haven't felt the need to put $300-400 in another trigger. The Giessles and Timneys are great triggers, but the better SCAR triggers are plenty useable.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I have one. I love it. I've had all the common .308 battle rifles (M1A, HK91, FAL, etc) and like the SCAR best of all. It's as reliable as any, more accurate than most, more ergonomic than all but the AR-10s and I'm not so sure about that, recoil is so mild it makes people laugh the first time they shoot it, it comes with all the goodies like rails and sights, etc.

I've been shooting mine in multigun this year for the hell of it. It's not as fast as a 5.56 AR, but I didn't expect it to be. It's easier to use than any other .308 I've used there.
    I've shot it at a friends farm to 600. It did just fine, especially for the 1-4X scope. I have nothing to complain about there.
    As a multipurpose .30 cal rifle, you could do a lot worse.

Of the first four people who shot mine: One bought one that day, another bought one later, the third I haven't seen since but he was talking like he might, and the fourth had just used his budget on a Sig 716.

The biggest downside is expense. I have never spent so much on a non-class 3 gun before, but I have no regrets. I like it that much. If you want to justify it, I guess you can. One boring winter day, I added up the cost of the "extras" like the folding sights, adj and folding stock, sling mount points, rails, etc and came up with something like $1100. Add that to the cost of a good AR-10 and you are in SCAR territory or beyond. Of course it doesn't mean much if you aren't going to buy all that stuff, but I said you could try to justify to yourself that way if you wanted :)

Magazines were the other negative, but that got better last year. When I got mine late last summer, they were becoming available. I had no trouble finding and buying them from about August until Sandy Hook in Dec. I started getting back orders in April and have seen them at decent prices and in stock since May. The FNH eStore had them when I've looked recently. Don't let mags stop you. They are out there.

Some people complain about their triggers. It seems to me they vary. When I got mine, I looked around and basically bought the one with the best trigger. It cost a little more than at another shop, but I haven't felt the need to put $300-400 in another trigger. The Giessles and Timneys are great triggers, but the better SCAR triggers are plenty useable.

Great post. Ive shot one, and been on the fence about buying one for years. The thing that always keeps me from pulling the trigger is I cant really justify if. Ive always thought a scar 17, is what the 1-6 scopes were designed for.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Very limited window of experience with them so take this with a grain of salt...

In my experience overseas there were a lot of mixed reviews coming from the SOF operators using them. We had one particular one that had horrible "phantom" extraction problems that could never be reproduced in a controlled environment when trying to troubleshoot the issue. Bolt/extractor replacements didn't solve the problem. Did they still use them? Yes, but that's likely because that was either their only option or the "better" option. Also had complaints that during missions the ambi mag-release was problematic. They would often inadvertently drop their mag simply by slinging the rifle and letting it rest against their body/kit. That's a HUGE design problem...

I've done a little shooting with them. I'm indifferent on it. SCAR-16, I'd pass on that all day long because there is very little advantage over current, cheaper, more-available offerings. But .308 battle-rifle the SCAR-17 is one of the better options out there. The only real negatives are price and availability of accessories. You won't see much modification to them because all the parts are proprietary and therefore must be built ground-up a lot of times by very dedicated/skilled smiths. If you're looking for a .308 battle rifle that you don't plan to "customize" much and don't mind the negatives then SCAR-17 is probably a pretty good choice for you.

I was looking at making the ultimate PDW type weapon a while back with 300 BLK. The SCAR-16 was suggested but later ruled out because all of the above. I just couldn't justify the price, special one-off parts I would have to make, and the accessory problems.

Just my 2 cents...

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    Ive always thought a scar 17, is what the 1-6 scopes were designed for.

Ya know, you said a lot there. It really is the first thing I've found to take advantage of/need a 1-6. The SCARs have the accuracy and reach for at least mid-range work (6X), but they are light and fast handling for close and fast stuff (1X). I weighed mine when I got it and it was only 8 ounces more than my old SP1 AR (7lb,2oz vs 7lb,10oz) . That really made it sink in, seeing it was so close to what was regarded as a light .223 for so many years.

This is why I don't get some of the scope choices I've seen on them. Look around other forums, and there are a few low power scopes, but the most common scopes I see are bigger than the scope on my SSG. The 5-20X and 5.5-22X scopes seem pretty common.
    To me, one of the big advantages the SCAR has over other .308s is weight. I just don't get taking a compact and freakishly light .308 and adding two or three pounds of scope and rings that are almost as long as the barrel. Many clear ten pounds, and do it by a fair margin. I think they are hurting a lot of it's potential, while not helping it's longer range ability much. If one wants a light precision rifle, there are better, cheaper, and probably more accurate ways.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Ya know, you said a lot there. It really is the first thing I've found to take advantage of/need a 1-6. The SCARs have the accuracy and reach for at least mid-range work (6X), but they are light and fast handling for close and fast stuff (1X). I weighed mine when I got it and it was only 8 ounces more than my old SP1 AR (7lb,2oz vs 7lb,10oz) . That really made it sink in, seeing it was so close to what was regarded as a light .223 for so many years.

This is why I don't get some of the scope choices I've seen on them. Look around other forums, and there are a few low power scopes, but the most common scopes I see are bigger than the scope on my SSG. The 5-20X and 5.5-22X scopes seem pretty common.
    To me, one of the big advantages the SCAR has over other .308s is weight. I just don't get taking a compact and freakishly light .308 and adding two or three pounds of scope and rings that are almost as long as the barrel. Many clear ten pounds, and do it by a fair margin. I think they are hurting a lot of it's potential, while not helping it's longer range ability much. If one wants a light precision rifle, there are better, cheaper, and probably more accurate ways.

I run into it daily. Its very common for people to over zoom their rifles. The scar is a battle rifle not a MOA rifle. I think the 308 has the little bit of extra umph to take advantage of that extra 2x of zoom, while not losing its ability of being a entry weapon. I really think a scar17, and a 1-6 is the perfect combination of range, and CBQ and in my opinion would be the best battle rifle on the market today. With 6x of zoom on a man size target 700 yards is going to be a cake walk.

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    Very limited window of experience with them so take this with a grain of salt...

In my experience overseas there were a lot of mixed reviews coming from the SOF operators using them. We had one particular one that had horrible "phantom" extraction problems that could never be reproduced in a controlled environment when trying to troubleshoot the issue. Bolt/extractor replacements didn't solve the problem. Did they still use them? Yes, but that's likely because that was either their only option or the "better" option. Also had complaints that during missions the ambi mag-release was problematic. They would often inadvertently drop their mag simply by slinging the rifle and letting it rest against their body/kit. That's a HUGE design problem...

I've done a little shooting with them. I'm indifferent on it. SCAR-16, I'd pass on that all day long because there is very little advantage over current, cheaper, more-available offerings. But .308 battle-rifle the SCAR-17 is one of the better options out there. The only real negatives are price and availability of accessories. You won't see much modification to them because all the parts are proprietary and therefore must be built ground-up a lot of times by very dedicated/skilled smiths. If you're looking for a .308 battle rifle that you don't plan to "customize" much and don't mind the negatives then SCAR-17 is probably a pretty good choice for you.

I was looking at making the ultimate PDW type weapon a while back with 300 BLK. The SCAR-16 was suggested but later ruled out because all of the above. I just couldn't justify the price, special one-off parts I would have to make, and the accessory problems.

Just my 2 cents...

I've heard, and this came from an FN guy, that they did have their share of problems at first. It was far from perfect from the drawing board. This same guy said FN worked hard to fix them, too. They developed the SCAR with their own dollars- without big gov't funding like a lot of guns- and really, really, needed to get a contract to get their expenses back.

Some of the problems and complaints I've heard were the result of making what the military wanted- The reciprocating charging handle, for example. The military wanted positive bolt control (chambering/forward assist) but didn't want any parts or expense added. The recip handle was the obvious way to go. There are people who really dislike that charging handle, enough to avoid the rifle, but it's only there to sell them to the army.
    I have to wonder if the ambi mag catch is similar.

advan031

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    SoCal
    I really like my 17s and the trigger only feels like crap after you shoot a gun with a geissele trigger on it. I haven't shot it as much lately as I'm trying to conserve my .308 ammo.

Top Bottom