• ...and so much more!
  • ar15junkie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    Behind enemy lines
    Hi all,

Quick question about scanners. What is needed these days in a decent scanner? I read all sorts of things about trunking and I don't even know what.

I'm not sure what the deal is but my the frequencies listed for my town police is mostly dead. I don't know if the freq.(155.31000) is wrong or my old scanner(Rat Shack Pro-49)isn't up to the job.

Thanks

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    As bad as Radio Shack has become (I'm an OLD Shackie), I'd start at your local R/S store. They SHOULD know which (if any) of your local departments are using a trunked system. If they are you'll need a "trunk-tracker" type scanner. The prices for these have gone down drastically since the Indy/Marion County area departments went to the "MECA" system. :patriot:
    :cheers:

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    There are three communication systems in operation now.

1. Analog - What all police departments were on at one time. Any scanner can receive analog signals. Many small town/county departments still use analog. Two bands are utilized for analog, VHF and UHF

2. Trunking - Also an analog signal (and able to be picked up by an analog scanner). A trunked system uses several channels (frequencies) and the transmissions are not confined to one dedicated one. Each time a transmission is made the transmitting and receiving station "move" to an unoccupied channel. Trunking scanners will also change the receive frequency so you can hear the complete transmission exchange. A regular analog scanner while receiving the transmission may not hear the response if it is on another channel. Many larger cities and even some commercial applications use trunked systems. All trunked systems are in the 800 to 900 MHz bands.

3. Digital - This is the latest where all signals are transmitted in digital. Analog receivers will not receive digital transmissions. Indianapolis has just gone to digital as well in Indiana state Police.

I hope this helps.

edited to add:

Highland Police is on 158.805 per FCC database.

Last edited:

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Crystalship, Radioshack (IMO) is just like any retailer - there will be some employees that know what they're talking about, and some that are morons. My local Radioshack has one of each, and a part-time guy that just comes to fill space and pick up a check. Guess who I like talking to??

If you're going to shop Radioshack, pick one that's not in a mall. The guys in the mall are cell-phone driven and know all kinds of stuff about Sprint or AT&T, but not near as much about scanners/batteries/parts/etc, ya know, the stuff Radioshack has been known for. Outside stores will generally have a better knowledge base.

As far as technology goes, AFA1CY is right on. I will add that "officially" there are plans for every public safety organization to go digital. Your local Sheriff, Fire Department, you name it. At that point, the analog scanner will be good for next to nothing. Now, when that's going to happen is a pretty hot button issue, especially amongst the folks that sell these. Most people truly in the know on the issue tell me that the holdup is cost of the equipment, and until that's resolved they'll be analog.

Radioreference.com is a great site for basic information..

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    As far as technology goes, AFA1CY is right on. I will add that "officially" there are plans for every public safety organization to go digital. Your local Sheriff, Fire Department, you name it. At that point, the analog scanner will be good for next to nothing. Now, when that's going to happen is a pretty hot button issue, especially amongst the folks that sell these. Most people truly in the know on the issue tell me that the holdup is cost of the equipment, and until that's resolved they'll be analog.

Well, you will still be able to listen to what people order in the drive-throughs for some time now. :)

I don't know if he is still there, but the Radio Shack at 86th and Allisonville had a fellow quite knowledgeable about scanners. He loaded up the trunking for all local emergency services. For Indianapolis, reception is going away with digital rollout. I haven't unpacked the scanner yet to mess with Johnson County Sheriff freqs.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Yeah, there used to be a guy named Mike that worked at the Radioshack(s) in Lafayette. He owned several himself, and had the information to program just about anybody's scanner. He could do multiple county sets and things that they can't do in the store. He passed away early this summer, though, so scanners are hurting up this way..

I've got a decent set of his, I think it's got Tippecanoe, White, Carroll counties and ISP. If anybody is up this way and needs a good scanner set for the area, let me know..

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Remember when Radio Shack sold electronic components? I go in there now and it's nothing but cellphones and cheap (and yet somehow overpriced) DVD players and computer parts.

ar15junkie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    Behind enemy lines
    Scutter,

You bet I remember. I was one of those odd kids that was interested in building an AM radio for fun. I had a bunch of those electronic component cardboard/spring kits that you could build things out of. I even had one of the 100 project kit boards.

Anyways, Radio Shack has gone in the crapper IMHO. Besides components there isn't much in the store still marked as made by radio shack/tandy corporation.

I went into a store a looking for an rf modulator for a Sirius radio and the lady didn't have any idea what I was talking about. Sad day indeed.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    You can get a lot of that type of stuff at Fry's now (in Fishers, if you're not from the Indy area). They've even got a lot of pre-packaged breadboard kits, which are kinda nice.

ar15junkie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    Behind enemy lines
    There are three communication systems in operation now.

1. Analog - What all police departments were on at one time. Any scanner can receive analog signals. Many small town/county departments still use analog. Two bands are utilized for analog, VHF and UHF

2. Trunking - Also an analog signal (and able to be picked up by an analog scanner). A trunked system uses several channels (frequencies) and the transmissions are not confined to one dedicated one. Each time a transmission is made the transmitting and receiving station "move" to an unoccupied channel. Trunking scanners will also change the receive frequency so you can hear the complete transmission exchange. A regular analog scanner while receiving the transmission may not hear the response if it is on another channel. Many larger cities and even some commercial applications use trunked systems. All trunked systems are in the 800 to 900 MHz bands.

3. Digital - This is the latest where all signals are transmitted in digital. Analog receivers will not receive digital transmissions. Indianapolis has just gone to digital as well in Indiana state Police.

I hope this helps.

edited to add:

Highland Police is on 158.805 per FCC database.

Thanks a bunch AFA. I think my old scanner is #1. So basically we'll need to get a digital scanner in order to pick up the newer signals?

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    You can get a lot of that type of stuff at Fry's now (in Fishers, if you're not from the Indy area). They've even got a lot of pre-packaged breadboard kits, which are kinda nice.

They actually have a really decent selection. I was amazed the first time I went there. I actually could buy 50 W resistors of the shelf for a project. That surprised me.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    I'd only read about Fry's online before I moved to Indiana - Radioshack still carries a few things that Fry's doesn't, but if I were closer I know where I would shop..

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Thanks a bunch AFA. I think my old scanner is #1. So basically we'll need to get a digital scanner in order to pick up the newer signals?
    If all you want to listen to is Highland PD then no. (not sure about fire and sheriff) If you want to listen to State Police you need digital.

(BTW you can listen to the Ham Radio operators on 144 to 148 MHz and 420 to 450 MHz.)

JcJ

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    For anyone lives in the Boone and Hendricks county area, this guy plugged his scanners into his computer.. Also hosts the stormnet.. Pretty cool and free:)

N9WP Shack

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    BW, Just like your digital cell phones work out in the hills and sticks.

Thats exactly what I'm talking about. Digital reception out here is hit and miss, with a lot of black holes. I often hear Brown County dispatch asking sheriffs if they have cell service and the answer is "no."

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Top Bottom