• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • glockman22

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    New Castle
    For a while now Ive known its Illeagle in the state of Indiana to own a short barreld shotgun, but Ive seen some pics, and have heard people discuss themselves, or others, owning a legal short barreld shot gun because its classified under AOW, how is this possible, is it something else that puts it in the catogory, most of them ive seen are the ones with a pistol grip and like a 7 - 10 inch barrel. If they are legal, where can I find one.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    If the receiver has never had a stock - it can be classified as AOW. The moment you put a stock on it, it becomes an SBS. Most (if not all) class III dealers have them or can get them.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Shooter and Rookie are both on the right track. Things that we typically know as "shotguns" do not meet the legal definition of "shotgun" if they do not have a buttstock. By definition, a "shotgun" is a shoulder-fired firearm. Without a stock, it cannot be shoulder-fired. Take, say an 870 receiver without a stock and a 20" barrel, and it is simply a Title I firearm. Chop that barrel down to 7" and now you have an AOW. Add a stock and it becomes a SBS. Clear as mud???!!!! LOL

glockman22

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    New Castle
    It's not. If a gun is classified as an AOW, then by definition it cannot be a short-barreled shotgun.

I know its not actually a short barreld shotgun, or atleast classified as one, I just didnt know how else to word it other than saying a shot gun with a shorter barrel than legally allowed.

Thanks all for clearing that up, I may now:chillout:, and try to find one for me, anyone know how much they run, or ball park it for me.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    correct me if Im wrong, but there is no way for one to take a standard shotgun, and legally make it into an AOW (a la serbu super shorty) is there?

in812

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    what about a AOW attached to a rifle say ar15 with surbu super shorty or sbr with surbu ????

ramick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Huntington
    Do i need a Class 3 license to buy a AOW shotgun. And if so you only need the tax stamp if you are going to keep it in your car.

Last edited:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    there is no way for one to take a standard shotgun, and legally make it into an AOW (a la serbu super shorty) is there?

Correct. In ATF's eyes, that would be a "weapon made from a shotgun" (i.e. an SBS), not an AOW.

what about a AOW attached to a rifle say ar15 with surbu super shorty or sbr with surbu ????

That would still be an SBS, since the shotgun portion would be using the rifle's stock.

Do i need a Class 3 license to buy a AOW shotgun. And if so you only need the tax stamp if you are going to keep it in your car.

A "Class III license" is only needed if you intend to become a dealer in NFA weapons. If you are talking about the tax stamp, that is needed in order to make or transfer the weapon, regardless of what you plan to do with said weapon once it is in your possession.

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    So let me get this straight. I have a double barreled 12 gauge, I cannot cut the barrel down and the stock down as it would be a SBS. However, if a manufacturer sold me the same double-barrel with a pistol grip only, I could cut the barrels down as an AOW?

That really is astoundingly asinine (if I'm right).

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    Well you'll have to move in order to do that...

The AR will become a stock- you may have missed that detail when Shooter mentioned it. Then you'll have a SBS even after it's removed from the AR.

glockman22

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    New Castle
    AOW tax transfer stamp is only $5, isnt it? If so, I never understood that, its a "transfer" your paying for, so why arent they all the same price.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    AOW tax transfer stamp is only $5, isnt it? If so, I never understood that, its a "transfer" your paying for, so why arent they all the same price.

The GCA that imposed a $200 transfer on MG's and the other cool toys made the AOW tax $5 because most AOWs at the time were hunting weapons and Uncle Sam, the nice guy that he is, didn't want to impose upon subsistance hunters a $200 tax on their livelyhood. That's how I understand it anyways....

Unoid

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    so who in IN sells AOW shotties that only have a 5$ NFA fee!?

Would be a lovely HD gun to defend against GARY-youths seeking to pad their wallets with mein cash

Top Bottom