• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ar15_dude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    I am interested in a combination of a 10.5" barreled AR upper and a suppressor to total a 16" OAL. How to proceed?
    - Certainly the suppressor purchase is straightforward: $200 NFA stamp, etc.
    - Do i just buy a 10.5" upper or do i need a stamp or something? Can i legally possess it before i get the can?
    - When the can is installed, i have a legal combo? Must the can be PERMANENTLY installed or just threaded on?
    - Would not an SBR stamp be required to run the 10.5" upper without the can?
    - So are two stamps needed or just one?
    - FYI: the AAC Ranger 3 can seems to make a point of having a provision to permanently attach it to the barrel, why? What is the advantage?

Thanks INGO guys.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Without something permanently attached to the upper, before installation on a "rifle lower", then you must have two stamps. One for the can and one for the SBR.

That's the Reader's Digest version, anyhow.

-J-

mjrducky

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    North Liberty, IN
    I am interested in a combination of a 10.5" barreled AR upper and a suppressor to total a 16" OAL. How to proceed?
    - Do i just buy a 10.5" upper or do i need a stamp or something? Can i legally possess it before i get the can?
    - When the can is installed, i have a legal combo? Must the can be PERMANENTLY installed or just threaded on?
    - Would not an SBR stamp be required to run the 10.5" upper without the can?
    - So are two stamps needed or just one?
    - FYI: the AAC Ranger 3 can seems to make a point of having a provision to permanently attach it to the barrel, why? What is the advantage?

Thanks INGO guys.

10.5 upper without the suppressor with a lower that uses a shoulder stock (not a pistol lower) = stamp
    suppressor on it's own = stamp
    suppressor welded to upper = I'm not 100% sure but it could be a 1 stamp for the suppressor... Anyone?:)

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    - Do i just buy a 10.5" upper or do i need a stamp or something? Can i legally possess it before i get the can? If you have other AR rifles, you can not possess the upper without a stamp, unless you, A) Build it as a pistol or B) Keep the upper at a friend/relatives house who doesn't own AR's.
    - When the can is installed, i have a legal combo? Must the can be PERMANENTLY installed or just threaded on? If you have the suppressor permanently installed, you would have a legal combo. One stamp only.
    - Would not an SBR stamp be required to run the 10.5" upper without the can? Yes. If you have just the upper, or a can that's not permanently attached, you MUST have a stamp for an SBR.
    - So are two stamps needed or just one? Depends on whether it's permanently attached.
    - FYI: the AAC Ranger 3 can seems to make a point of having a provision to permanently attach it to the barrel, why? What is the advantage? To accommodate the very scenario you are asking about. Some states don't allow SBR's, so this allows you to run a can on a short barrel by permanently attaching it.

Thanks INGO guys.

Answers above.

I would just do the SBR and suppressor. Cleaning a barrel with a permanently attached suppressor is quite the chore. You have to be VERY careful not to lose a patch in the can. Most of the time, when you permanently attach a suppressor or suppressor mount, it voids the mfg. warranty on the suppressor, though with the Ranger 3, it looks like this might not be the case, if they've designed it to be conducive to permanent attachment.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Another added bonus of a two-stamp gun: You can use the suppressor on other firearms. Can't do that if it's permanently attached.

-J-

Top Bottom