• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I know this has been discussed at least once, I found the thread but I didn't find what I was looking for exactly.

I am looking for a place around Terre Haute or Decatur (or any place between the two if they'll do it while I wait) to get an SBR and suppressor engraved. Do you guys know of any good affordable engravers that will do this?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Unless he's manufacturing the suppressor, in which case it's his info that needs to be engraved on it...
    +1 I will be making my own suppressor on a form 1 (just like it is done with an SBR except you actually have to "make" something with the suppressor). I can handle the machining, I just don't have the ability to engrave. I do have a stamp set but I would like to have laser engraving.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Two words: Orion Arms. You WILL NOT be disappointed in their work. You will have to send your stuff out to them for the service, but they are top notch.

-XL-

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    +1 on Orion. Ryan is one of the nicest people I've dealt with there.

Be careful to note his zip code comes up different in the UPS database. It's Lino Lakes, not Minneapolis, 55110.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    The problem with Orion Arms is twofold, number 1, I would really prefer not to send the items out; #2, Under Minnesota law, you can't send them a silencer, you have to send them a raw tube, have it engraved and then make it after you receive it back. My problem with this is, if something happens while I am making it and it gets screwed up, I have an expensive piece of scrap metal and I have to send a new one to them. I would rather take the completed, totally finished product someplace and know that it is good before I pay to have it engraved.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    The problem with Orion Arms is twofold, number 1, I would really prefer not to send the items out; #2, Under Minnesota law, you can't send them a silencer, you have to send them a raw tube, have it engraved and then make it after you receive it back. My problem with this is, if something happens while I am making it and it gets screwed up, I have an expensive piece of scrap metal and I have to send a new one to them. I would rather take the completed, totally finished product someplace and know that it is good before I pay to have it engraved.

You cant just send the finished outer tube off? I mean the silencer will come apart like others Ive seen right?

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    You cant just send the finished outer tube off? I mean the silencer will come apart like others Ive seen right?
    I'm pretty sure that it cannot be threaded. Once it is threaded it can be deemed to be a suppressor (even if end-caps are not present). Its the whole constructive intent crap, because it is partially machined and it is intended to be a suppressor, once the machining is started it IS the suppressor. That is the way I understand it and I think that is why Orion only wants raw tubes.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    You will have no choice but to send Orion the raw tube, if you have Orion do the engraving. The engraving will also have to be finished BEFORE the form 1 is cleared with the ATF, as once the form 1 is approved and Orion puts the S/N on the raw tube, it is now a silencer.

Keep doing your research on finding some one local to engrave the suppressor tube, but go ahead and use Orion for your lower.

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    Yep, anyone can engrave a "pipe" or "tube" with nothing to worry about but once you start machining it to become an actual suppressor tube, it's no longer just a piece of metal and rules have to be followed...

I wouldn't worry about destroying accidentally while building it. You can always "practice" on a similar tube if you think you need it- just make sure it DOES get destroyed by the time you are done threading or whatever it is you are practicing.

Top Bottom