Saw my first administration of a sobriety test...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Officers even let the guy sit down in a chair on the sidewalk to take the test (he was a wobbly one). When asked to follow the pen with his eyes only, the kid fell asleep. Didn't see how it ended, but it was hilarious :):

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    If only I could tell you all the jacked up stuff I have seen or that has been said to me while I have been giving field sobriety tests............honestly, you would probably laugh until you pee'ed yourself.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    If only I could tell you all the jacked up stuff I have seen or that has been said to me while I have been giving field sobriety tests............honestly, you would probably laugh until you pee'ed yourself.

Oh I can imagine :D

When they re-woke the kid up, his eyes were wide as none other, like he just saw the policemen for the first time. Made my walk home much more enjoyable :):

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    Oh, come on. Why'd you have to tease us with that?

1032JBT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    I'm sure in his mind he did just see the cop for the first time.........I love seeing that deer in the headlights or oh s**t look in the eyes. Even better when you get to see it two or three times with the same person.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Officers even let the guy sit down in a chair on the sidewalk to take the test (he was a wobbly one). When asked to follow the pen with his eyes only, the kid fell asleep. Didn't see how it ended, but it was hilarious :):

:rofl:

Not fair dude, now that you talked about it, you have to give us a story or two.:D

I got a DUI in my stupid years(I was 18 and "invincible":rolleyes:) and passed the field sobriety test with flying colors...Unfortunately(for myself, at the time) I got a breathalyzer and blew a .25, so it was off to jail for me.

Haven't driven with more than 3 beers in me since...I consider it a very expensive lesson.

I did the pre-trial diversion, so it isn't on my record. I'll be the first to admit that it's a good thing that I got it...I might still drive impaired if I didn't.

BTW, I've never passed out or blacked out, so I can't relate to the gentleman in the TS's story :):

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I'm sure in his mind he did just see the cop for the first time.........I love seeing that deer in the headlights or oh s**t look in the eyes. Even better when you get to see it two or three times with the same person.

Well, that's just pathetic...If you don't learn your lesson after the first time(maybe even second time:dunno:), you are a loser.

1032JBT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    Oh, come on. Why'd you have to tease us with that?

OK.........I'll give you one.

Stopped a guy on the interstate after a concert at Verizon. Guy actually was funny, almost hated to lock him up.......but he was obliterated. Got him out of the car to do the tests and he has a prosthetic leg, signed by the band. I run him through the tests I can, obviously no balance tests because of his "condition". He insisted I give him the Walk and Turn test so I did, but wasn't going to grade it........until he passed it. I don't know how but this guy could barely stand up on his own power but was able to pass it with a plastic leg (and people say our tests are stupid hman tricks or un-passable even if sober..........:rolleyes:)

Anyway........gave him the certified test and he was of course way over and he went to jail. A couple hours later I took another one up and found out the jail had to take his leg away because he was passing it around the drunk tank for everyone else to play with.

1032JBT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    Well, that's just pathetic...If you don't learn your lesson after the first time(maybe even second time:dunno:), you are a loser.

No.........I meant two or three times IN THE SAME INCIDENT. Normally it's because they are just so drunk they forget who they are talking too, but it's better when they pass out and wake up and see you again for the first time.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    OK.........I'll give you one.

Stopped a guy on the interstate after a concert at Verizon. Guy actually was funny, almost hated to lock him up.......but he was obliterated. Got him out of the car to do the tests and he has a prosthetic leg, signed by the band. I run him through the tests I can, obviously no balance tests because of his "condition". He insisted I give him the Walk and Turn test so I did, but wasn't going to grade it........until he passed it. I don't know how but this guy could barely stand up on his own power but was able to pass it with a plastic leg (and people say our tests are stupid hman tricks or un-passable even if sober..........:rolleyes:)

Anyway........gave him the certified test and he was of course way over and he went to jail. A couple hours later I took another one up and found out the jail had to take his leg away because he was passing it around the drunk tank for everyone else to play with.

LOL, that's a good one.:laugh:

I have to ask though, why even bother with the field test if you know someone is drunk; why not just give him a breathalyzer and save yourself some time?

Like I said before, I passed mine(field), but the officer smelled it on me(I'm guessing) and gave me a breathalyzer anyway.
    (He was very nice and was just doing his job, so I'm not complaining, just inquiring answers)

No.........I meant two or three times IN THE SAME INCIDENT. Normally it's because they are just so drunk they forget who they are talking too, but it's better when they pass out and wake up and see you again for the first time.

LOL, wow...I know alcohol impairs your judgement, but...WOW.

1032JBT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    The smell on their breath alone is not enough to establish PC required to offer the certified test so we do the SFST's to establish that PC. There might be times that you don't have the option to give SFST's, but in those instances you probably have other things to help with establishing PC.

But with that being said though........I have had people fail the tests so badly that I have guessed in my head where their BrAC would be only to find they were below the legal limit. On the reverse I have had people fail some of the tests but pass the balance ones with ease and then find out they were over a .20 (military, roofers, dancers....etc).

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    The smell on their breath alone is not enough to establish PC required to offer the certified test so we do the SFST's to establish that PC. There might be times that you don't have the option to give SFST's, but in those instances you probably have other things to help with establishing PC.

But with that being said though........I have had people fail the tests so badly that I have guessed in my head where their BrAC would be only to find they were below the legal limit. On the reverse I have had people fail some of the tests but pass the balance ones with ease and then find out they were over a .20 (military, roofers, dancers....etc).

I wonder why I got a breathelyzer then? :dunno:

Honestly, it doesn't matter though...I was in the wrong and needed that slap across the wrist to make me realize I shouldn't drive drunk, so I'm not complaining.:)

(Second bold part) What is that about? Are "military, roofers, dancers" more prone to having a higher tolerance/being able to pass a test?

(That's a genuine question, not meant to be condescending...Please take it that way)

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland

What if, like Bazooka in his younger years, the person is under 21? The smell alone could establish PC alone, correct?

1032JBT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    I wonder why I got a breathelyzer then? :dunno:

Honestly, it doesn't matter though...I was in the wrong and needed that slap across the wrist to make me realize I shouldn't drive drunk, so I'm not complaining.:)

(Second bold part) What is that about? Are "military, roofers, dancers" more prone to having a higher tolerance/being able to pass a test?

(That's a genuine question, not meant to be condescending...Please take it that way)

If it was years ago when you got yours then it wouldn't surprise me because things were different back then. I honestly hate to admit it, but I will because I think it is wrong so here goes.......some officers base their descion to read Implied Consent and give the certified test based off of the PBT result not the SFST's. The PBT is used to confirm the presence of alcohol not the reason for the Implied Consent. I have given the HGN test to too many people to count. If I give them HGN and they pass it......I sometimes skip the other tests and go straight to the PBT. If they are an .08 or over then they get to call someone to pick them and the car up. If I didn't have the clues........I could give a rat's a** what the PBT says, it's more of a CYA thing for me so they don't drive down the road and kill someone and then I get sued because I stopped them and let them drive away.

Your second question..........it's due to the balance. Military guys can have better balance due to standing at attention for who knows how long whilst getting a butt chewing. Roofers tend to have good balance because if you don't then you prbably won't last long in that job. Dancers..........:D, I'll let you figure that one out.

What if, like Bazooka in his younger years, the person is under 21? The smell alone could establish PC alone, correct?

If under 21 yes.........the smell alone is enough not only for PC for the breath test but to just jail them for Minor Consumption. Not saying that always happens, but it is enough.

ETA: Ok I just re-read what I wrote.........sorry, I have had 5-6 hours of sleep in over 48 hous so I'm a lil tired. Just being under 21 and having the odor is not enough to establish PC for OWI, you still need to show impairment, but it would be enough for the minor consumption charge if that was the chosen route.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    If it was years ago when you got yours then it wouldn't surprise me because things were different back then. I honestly hate to admit it, but I will because I think it is wrong so here goes.......some officers base their descion to read Implied Consent and give the certified test based off of the PBT result not the SFST's. The PBT is used to confirm the presence of alcohol not the reason for the Implied Consent. I have given the HGN test to too many people to count. If I give them HGN and they pass it......I sometimes skip the other tests and go straight to the PBT. If they are an .08 or over then they get to call someone to pick them and the car up. If I didn't have the clues........I could give a rat's a** what the PBT says, it's more of a CYA thing for me so they don't drive down the road and kill someone and then I get sued because I stopped them and let them drive away.

Yep, you are one of the "cool" cops...You clearly see the difference between being "intoxicated" and "over the limit." I commend you for that.:yesway:

Your second question..........it's due to the balance. Military guys can have better balance due to standing at attention for who knows how long whilst getting a butt chewing. Roofers tend to have good balance because if you don't then you prbably won't last long in that job. Dancers..........:D, I'll let you figure that one out.

Thanks for the clarification.

If under 21 yes.........the smell alone is enough not only for PC for the breath test but to just jail them for Minor Consumption. Not saying that always happens, but it is enough.

That explains a lot(for my past circumstance)...The sheriff that got me may not have followed the books, but regardless I got what I deserved and learned from it, so I can't complain.

I've already repped you once tonight, but I'd like to thank you again for taking the time to explain everything..................PIG!!!!:laugh:

1032JBT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    I've already repped you once tonight, but I'd like to thank you again for taking the time to explain everything..................PIG!!!!:laugh:

Oh come on...........is that the best you got??? I've been called worse than that, tonight................................by my wife. :D

Top Bottom