• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Htrailblazer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Franklin
    I am looking at these rifles at dick's. Both are 249 on sale plus I have a $20 off coupon and a gift card. Wich would be a better bullet for target and the occasional coyote? Or should I order an edge for 299 and choose a different caliber??

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Honestly, arent 22 magnum and 17 HMR running the same price as 5.56?

pretty close. thats why i sold my 22 mag. imo if your wanting rimfire go 22 long 22long will do the same thing as the above mentioned calibers. plus if you put 50 bucks of ammo threw the 22 long, 22mag, 17 you will be much more proficient with the 22 long since you put 4-5 times the rounds down range with it

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    I was just thinking that for the limited increase in performance of the 22 mag or 17 HMR, it really isnt worth it. If .22 mag was $30 per 500 (roughly twice the price of .22 lr) it would be worth getting .22 mag.

Dr_O

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    East Central Indiana
    I would be hesitant to use a rimfire cartridge for coyotes especially at long distance.
    Just not enough energy there for good clean kills on an animal that size.

Dwight D

Marksman
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Both IN and FL
    If you want to hunt yotes both the 22 mag and the 17 HMR will do the job, but max effective range will be much shorter then with a .223. I would have no problem at all at killing a 'yote inside of the 125 yd mark with either the 22 mag or 17 mag, but you would need to center him up pretty good to get the job done cleanly. With the 223 a shot at 300 yds should be no problem for the average shooter and much longer shots for an accomplished marksman with the right rifle, optic, and ammo setup. I use a 17HMR quite abit every winter when I go to a large ranch in Florida for my truck gun. It is handy for crows, starlings, armadillos, pigeons and yotes that get too comfortable while I am gone. But when I go out for 'yotes in particular, I tend to either grab a 223 or a 243 depending on where I plan to set up.

Top Bottom