• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Saiga223

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Well Friday I was thinking about converting my Saiga and today I have a "new" rifle!

NOW INTRODUCING:

saiga223_profile.jpg

PG_stock.jpg

saiga223_rear.jpg

Thanks to everyone that suggested Carolina Shooters Supply, that was an excellent transaction to say the least. I will definitely be using them again!!!

Saiga223

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Can I ask what the total investment was? Nice job.

Thanks man, from head to toe as it sits:

Saiga Rifle..................$330 brand new (from Bradis)
    MI Handguard..............$90 used (from Mr. JAG)
    Conversion Kit.............$120 (from Carolina Shooters Supply)
    Hogue Grip..................(kit upgrade)
    CCA commercial tube....$40
    Magpul MOE stock........$65
    SGM 30 round mag.......$35
    Folding Front Grip.........$20

Total: $700
    Satisfaction of putting together all by myself: PRICELESS :D

Looks great!

What stock adapter tube is that, and whatcha got goin' on at the muzzle end?
    Thanks! I started to remove the front sleeve so I can thread the barrel. I used a pipe cutter, but the blade was not strong enough so I am going to continue with a Dremel.

Last edited:

Martin Draco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Thanks man, from head to toe as it sits:

Saiga Rifle..................$330 brand new (from Bradis)
    MI Handguard..............$90 used (from Mr. JAG)
    Conversion Kit.............$120 (from Carolina Shooters Supply)
    Hogue Grip..................(kit upgrade)
    CCA commercial tube....$40
    Magpul MOE stock........$65
    SGM 30 round mag.......$35
    Folding Front Grip.........$20

Total: $700
    Satisfaction of putting together all by myself: PRICELESS :D

Thanks! I started to remove the front sleeve so I can thread the barrel. I used a pipe cutter, but the blade was not strong enough so I am going to continue with a Dremel.
    Pipe cutter works great if you go verrry slow. I've done 3 and it took bout 10 minutes each. The blades are cheap so if a buy a couple and get a feel for it, it should be easier than a Dremel. Do you have a 14x1 threading die? If you live near me, you can borrow mine. Your rifle looks awesome!:rockwoot:

Kase

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Crawfordsville
    That looks great :rockwoot:

I plan on doing that in the next week or two, but I have no clue what type of tools I'll need :dunno: I know I need a dremel, and have one already, but is there any other tools that will help get the job done easy??

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I agree, I was going to put my AFG1 on there, but I think a RVG would go better with this setup. Thanks!

I've had both on mine. The vertical grip had to be placed considerably far out in order to clear mag changes. I'm a small dude, so that kind of leverage on my arm was a bit much for comfort. The AFG2 I got on there now fixed all those problems.

Congrats on the conversion. :yesway:

Now go put holes in stuff!

Saiga223

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Indianapolis

I plan on doing that in the next week or two, but I have no clue what type of tools I'll need :dunno: I know I need a dremel, and have one already, but is there any other tools that will help get the job done easy??

Honestly, I didn't even have a Dremel. All I used was a drill, screwdriver, pliers, and an allen wrench set.

Do you have a 14x1 threading die? If you live near me, you can borrow mine. Your rifle looks awesome!

Thanks man, I have been looking at the threading kits online and I found one for $55, just haven't figured out whether I want to do 14x1 left(traditional) or go AR style 1/2x28 since I already have an AR-15 and AR-22 threaded that way so when I get my can I will be able to use it on all three.

Thanks fellas, I will be taking her out in the morning for the first time to Wilbur Wright. Probably won't be able to sleep tonight! :ar15:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN

I just finished mine a couple of weeks ago and it certainly is a fun project. The biggest piece of advice I can offer is to check the depth of the tap when installing the bullet guide. I was tapping mine nice and slow and thought I was still cutting but decided to check the depth and it turns out I was running into the receiver. I think that's why a lot of taps get busted is that it still feels like you are cutting threads but in reality you are up against the receiver and it does not take much to snap it off. Other than that, it's a very straight forward project to do. I used parts from Dinzag Arms but I think Carolina Shooter Supply is less expensive. Still, Dinzag was good to work with.

The one thing I have left to do on mine is to install a Texas Weapons Systems dust cover rail and peep sight. It's on order and should be here later this month. Once that's in place, I'll install either an Eotech or Aimpoint red dot sight and call it done.

Martin Draco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Honestly, I didn't even have a Dremel. All I used was a drill, screwdriver, pliers, and an allen wrench set.

Thanks man, I have been looking at the threading kits online and I found one for $55, just haven't figured out whether I want to do 14x1 left(traditional) or go AR style 1/2x28 since I already have an AR-15 and AR-22 threaded that way so when I get my can I will be able to use it on all three.

Thanks fellas, I will be taking her out in the morning for the first time to Wilbur Wright. Probably won't be able to sleep tonight! :ar15:

Without turning down the barrel (pain in the a$$), the 1/2x28 thread wont work.

Martin Draco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Man, that sucks, even on the .223 caliber! Thanks for the info though. Do you live in Indy? If so, how much to rent your threading kit?

I live in Carmel. Rent shment! If you want to borrow it, its all good. If you wanna come over we can thread it in 15 minutes!:):

Top Bottom