• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MickeyBlueEyes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    BFE, Indiana
    Protecting your property from trespass with deadly force is not justifiable. You can use deadly force to protect from a forcible felony: yourself; others; dwellings or cars that are "reasonably assumed to be occupied" (I can't recall ICC off the top of my head, but I'm sure Bill of Rights will soon).

Protecting your property does not extend to firing blindly into the thicket.

I also want to know how you confuse car doors slamming and people talking for a coyote attack.

A lot does NOT add up here. At the very least, negligent homicide charges should be filed. At worst, aggravated assault and murder in the first degree (I would vote to acquit on those charges, but vote to convict on Negligent Homicide).

Why is it, that every body is trying to give the people that were on the property with permission a pass. The dad was negligent when he entered another person's property without notice. The property owner didn't violate any law by firing blindly into his own property. There is no law on the books about that. Negligent discharge of a firearm is from your property causing damage to someone elses property.

If you got shot on my property, you must have been trespassing. I'm a Corrections Officer and I am always in fear for my life and the lives of my family.

If you are here on my land, you must have called me, or told me that you were coming out here. Period.

Negligent Homicide is pushing it. There was Negligence all the way around and the only person paying for it was a 17 year old son of the Negligent permissed trespasser.

Effingham

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Franklin
    It is sad news but a paint ball gun doesn't look anything like a real one. Still, point a toy gun at a cop and see what you might get. It's an ugly gray area for sure.

Actually, some do. THere are replica SIGs and Walthers (etc.) that shoot smallish paintballs. You can order them from Amazon.

This is very sad.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Why is it, that every body is trying to give the people that were on the property with permission a pass. The dad was negligent when he entered another person's property without notice. The property owner didn't violate any law by firing blindly into his own property. There is no law on the books about that. Negligent discharge of a firearm is from your property causing damage to someone elses property.

If you got shot on my property, you must have been trespassing. I'm a Corrections Officer and I am always in fear for my life and the lives of my family.

If you are here on my land, you must have called me, or told me that you were coming out here. Period.

Negligent Homicide is pushing it. There was Negligence all the way around and the only person paying for it was a 17 year old son of the Negligent permissed trespasser.

This IS a joke right? You did actually mean to post this in purple, right?

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Actually, some do. THere are replica SIGs and Walthers (etc.) that shoot smallish paintballs. You can order them from Amazon.

This is very sad.

And there are SIMunition barrels and guns that shoot paint pellets off of a gunpowder round.

farmerdan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    This is a sad story. I take my son hunting and could not even imagine what this kids Dad is going through. Thoughts and Prayers go out to them.

warriorbob

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96%
    24   1   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    It is sad news but a paint ball gun doesn't look anything like a real one. Still, point a toy gun at a cop and see what you might get. It's an ugly gray area for sure.
    there are paintball guns on th mil sim market that look like real firearms. I have one that looks like an m-4 and if i remove the hopper and tank you would be hard pressed to tell the difference unless you are up close

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Franklin

He gave them permission, yes they should have called to say they would be there. They were unloading their equipment?? hmmm big yellow truck how did he miss that??? Maybe they were unloading there stuff and then going to go check in with him... I don't know but yes I believe reckless homicide is more than alright! Might even be a little light...

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Quoted from the article.

On Friday afternoon, investigators interviewed Jason Bagley, 41. Bagley told officers that he knew the victim's family, and had given them permission to play paintball on his property. However, he said, he did not know the family was on the property Friday.
    Bagley said he heard a disturbance Friday near a treeline on his property and believed it to be a coyote attack. He told investigators that he fired his rifle multiple times in the direction of the treeline. One of those shots struck the victim.

Not knowing what your target is, is a case of pure negligence.

InfraRed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    I love this forum, but sometimes the tangents that spur off of the subject that was posted are rediculous.... How did an article about a guy shooting at a sound on a treeline and killing a person turn into a debate on whether or not paintball guns look like real firearms and which models look more like firearms than others..... Plain and simple this guy violated one of the most basic rules of firearms handling.... Positive Identification of your target.... It's guys like this that ruin it for the rest of us, he is a great example of a case that can be used to strengthen the cause for gun control by the other side. He was a regular law abiding Joe who was exercising his right to bear arms.... Who killed somebody because he was not properly trained in the correct use of his firearm. It's too bad that this kid lost his life due to to this act of momentary stupidity and lack of training.

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    I love this forum, but sometimes the tangents that spur off of the subject that was posted are rediculous.... How did an article about a guy shooting at a sound on a treeline and killing a person turn into a debate on whether or not paintball guns look like real firearms and which models look more like firearms than others..... Plain and simple this guy violated one of the most basic rules of firearms handling.... Positive Identification of your target.... It's guys like this that ruin it for the rest of us, he is a great example of a case that can be used to strengthen the cause for gun control by the other side. He was a regular law abiding Joe who was exercising his right to bear arms.... Who killed somebody because he was not properly trained in the correct use of his firearm. It's too bad that this kid lost his life due to to this act of momentary stupidity and lack of training.

This. ^

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World

Well Said.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    The original article said nothing about shooting at the sounds of a coyote attack. It just said they were getting ready to play paintball and some guy shot them. I don't believe the original article even made it clear that they were on the shooter's property.

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    I'd like to know why a Massachusetts State trooper that shoots a woman out walking her dog because he thinks she's a deer ISN'T being charged, and this guy probably will?

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Animal attack? What the hell? Thats a pretty lame excuse for sending a bunch of rounds down range when you CAN'T IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET! This is the kind of stuff that will get the rest of us in touble. The "guilty by association" kind of thinking that the anti-gun movement uses, and those in government that think gun ownership should be banned. :xmad:

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    You have to get the facts straight before you start assuming anything.
    Yes this is a very tragic event. I said a prayer for the family.

1. The shooter gave the family permission to paintball hunt on his property, but they showed up a day early.
    2. All paintball stuff was still in the car when they were in the field.
    3. The shooter thought he saw a coyote in the treeline and shot from his home to scare it away.
    It's a very bad situation.

Top Bottom