• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I am looking into replacing my Cavalry Saber with something of quality, as opposed to the $40.00 one I currently have.

What exactly is the "British Proof Test"?
    Any recommendations?

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    The British Proof Test for Swords

The British Proof Test was created to ensure soldiers would only be issued weapons of the highest quality. For a sword to pass the entire British Proof Test, it must pass each of these six tests:

Test 1: Hit the cutting edge of the sword or saber HARD on a heavy wood block. The blade must remain straight and the handle, guard and tang, etc, must all remain rigidly in place with no bending, loosening, rattling, twisting, or turning at all or the sword fails.

Test 2: Hit the back of the blade HARD on a heavy wood block. The blade must remain straight and true and the handle, guard and tang, etc, must all remain rigidly in place with not bending, loosening, rattling, twisting, or turning at all or the sword fails.

Test 3: Hit the flat side of the blade hard on the wooden block and the blade must not bend. The blade must recover and come back truly straight. If it bends or takes a “set” other than straight it must be rejected.

Test 4: Same as test #3 except the other side of the blade is to be struck.

Test 5: Set the point of the sword on a heavy wood block and flex the blade 5” to the left. It must recover to truly straight. If the blade bends or takes a set other than straight I must be rejected.

Test 6: Same as #5 but the blade is flexed to the right.

Decent Review Cold Steels British Military Swords

Last edited:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I think I have found the replacement for my El Cheapo 1860 U.S. Heavy Cavalry Saber. I am going with a Cold Steel 1860 U.S. Heavy Cavalry Saber. It appears to actually be a serviceable saber.

Now to find a replacement for my El Cheapo M1840 NCO Sword.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    My beef with Cold Steel is that I read that they are all made in India or China. That turned me right off. I'n only interested if it's a quality steel from a Western country.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Here's the sword I have. I'd imagine they make a cavalry saber as well. The quality is A++ Excellent.
    Premium Marine Sword: US Officer by Marlow White

88-300-2-marine-sword.jpg

mfrobert

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    The british like most other armies wanted something that would stand the test of time...There are several makers of sabers out there that will suit your need, most of who have already been mentioned. Best of luck in your search!

Matt

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Urimun
    Top Bottom