• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • car06281

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 1, 2009
    Near Richmond
    Am thinking about buying a ruger 357 magnum. I currently own a S&W 357 magnum and the ruger action seems to be smoother than the S&W.

Any thoughts or feedback would be appreciated. I know the colt action is top of the line but they are out of my price range.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    How smooth do you want it to be? I have never fired a Ruger revolver, but with the S&W you can set up a pseudo-single action shot while firing double action. You cannot do this (or at least it is next to impossible) with a Colt double action. I didn't really think this through until after I had purchased a Colt Python which would later get traded in disappointment.

pokersamurai

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    I've owned a Smith and Wesson 686+ and I really liked it, I've also handled GP100s, and I really think it comes down to personal choice. They are both two of the most rugged, reliable revolvers on the market. For me the smith just looked and felt better.

mpitcock

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2011
    Lafayette
    I am a die hard S&W but recently purchased a Ruger LCR in .357.
    I really like the LCR and am convinced I made the right decision.
    It does in the end come down to YOUR personal preference.

Good luck in the decision you make.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    I have a Ruger SP101 357 and really like it. It has an easy trigger pull and is a nice solid gun to shoot. It's currently my main carry gun. If you replace the ugly stock grips it's a sweet looking gun.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I had a 586. Most disappointing sale I made of a gun. I really wish I hadn't sold it! I paid something like $350 new and sold it in near perfect condition for $275 or so. Aargh!!

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Depends on what your looking for. Smiths have a better trigger; I have a 642 and the trigger is sweet! Rugers are built like a tank. I also own a GP 100 and have shot some HOT loads (Buffalo Bore :D) out of it with no trouble!

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I have carried and shot Smith model 66's and Ruger Security Sixes. I much prefer the trigger action on the Smiths. I also like the S&W cylinder release better than the Ruger. I actually shot the frame loose on a blued security six. I still consider the Ruger a nice gun, but just prefer the Smith. If I were going to do a lot of magnum shooting, I'd go with the "L" frame 686 instead of the "K" frame, model 66. The Ruger GP-100 would be my choice for a lot of magnum shooting if I were going to buy a Ruger. I have shot the Colt Trooper. I consider them unacceptable in the way the trigger action comes from the factory and the way they are "unbalanced" in my hand. It is much harder to work on a Colt revolver than a Smith. Pythons are nice, but are way too expensive. Back when revolvers ruled and there was a lot of participation in PPC shooting, S&W revolvers were the clear choice amongst all competitors.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    The Colt Trooper and Trooper II's were built with a double action trigger that was to break at the exact same place in the pull each and every time. These were for police men and carry weapons before double action only auto pistols were even really thought of. Once again this was more for not getting a lawsuit against a department for a hair trigger in single action mode. ect. Much like the double action only auto's of today. Personally I love the double action trigger pull that I know exactly when it is going off on these pistols. I don't often shoot double action in a revolver but the trooper II has the best double action trigger compaired to the smith's and rugers and pythons. It is just to big for my small hands. Not a hand made piece like the python or diamondbacks.
    Here is mine with a triiger shoe added to fill out the smaller trigger into a larger bullet launching pad.

Picture049-1.jpg

The trooper is a handfulll and is heavy enough to cold cock someone with the pistol for sure.

Picture047-1.jpg

The python is a custom hand crafted pistol and Mine is nearly unfired so since the skyrocketing in price it is just a safe queen. Notice the lack of a cylinder line. GOod triggers just worth to much to use as a shooter but it has been fired. Once again the original owner had a trigger shoe installed.

Picture032-1.jpg

My 586 is just a workhorse. Good single stage trigger and above average double action but it goes off in different spots of the pull compaired to the trooper II. I like the lines of the 586/686 better than the trooper by far. I do not have a photo (She is camera shy) but this one was purchase from a farmer and was left in a cordura case that got wet. It had surface rust and a few pits of rust on the outside and I scrubed it all off with steel wool and a little wet dry sandpaper for the bad spot. I got it in trade with rust and all for a 22 long rifle and preformed a little trigger work and had to get a couple of springs to get it working again. I also replaced the wood grips (Got wet enough to expand and discolor the originals) with pacmayer ones with finger grooves. It looks like a semi blued beater pistol but It seem to be my go to for times when you just want to take a walk in the rain.

My forth is basically a smith 66 copy made in brasil by Rossi. When smith re-tool they sold the older revolver machines off the Rossi who began to make the line of pistol in country for law enforcement and export. I bought a 38 5 shot model 60 copy and this model 66 copy in the 1980's from a dealer for 300 for the pair. Years later a friend convinced me to part with the 38 special for 250 so I have 50 in the 357. Yes a little smoothing of the action need to be preformed but it is almost as nice a s the 586 trigger wise and it is accurate at 25 and even 50 yards for a 2 inch barreled 357. If you want to use 357 loads at night expect to get flash blindness as it can be a real fire thrower. It or the longer barreled smith normally are on or around me and the rossi is my main carry gun.
    DSC00245.jpg

The only ruger I had was a 3 screw blackhawk, Never did send it in for the recall and sold it off after fixing the 586 up.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I would like to weigh in. I own and have owned both S&W and Ruger. Just my opinion but I think S&W has better build quality better trigger. The Ruger is built like a tank and usually can handle heavier loads. I personally prefer S&W over Ruger just because I think they are built better, a higher quality gun in general. I have had a couple of problems with Ruger but not a single problem with any of my Smiths. Any manufacture can have a lemon now and then but Ruger seems to have more mistakes getting off the line than I like. And of late I'm really of the opinion that the quality of Ruger is slipping. If I'm in the market for a Ruger I will take an older model over the newer ones every time. Like I said that is just my opinion based on my experiences.

evanrw61

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012
    Southport Indiana
    I couldn't agree more. Both fine choices. I currently own a S&W 19, 6" Nickel, TH, TT and a Ruger, S/S GP 100 (1707). I prefer the Ruger with hot loads due to the heavier weight and rugged design.

Top Bottom