• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Took my Model 64 shooting today for the first time since I tried to correct the problem I had with the cylinder locking up last time. After removing some burrs from the ejector star, I thought I had it in good shape, but ran into the same issue again, using WWB ammo. It looked like all the cartridges seated properly, but after the first shot, it locked up again. Switched to some Sellier & Belloit fmj, and the first cylinder started to act up a little bit (opening it and closing it seemed to take care of it), but then the rest of the box worked fine. I'm still kind of stumped. I've had a semi-auto balk at WWB ammo, but never would've thought it would give a revolver problems. Not sure where to go from here. Guess I'll just keep trying other ammo types and see if the problem creeps up again, or whether this gun just doesn't like WWB. If it starts doing it again, it may be time to take it to a professional.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Call up Smith & Wesson. Send it to them and they will make it work perfectly. They repaired and retimed mine for less than the gunsmith can buy the parts for. This is classic worn/out of time symptoms, it would take some AWFUL ammo to bother a K frame smith. The Winchester and S&B ammo is plenty good enough to be dependable in that S&W. Good Luck

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Call up Smith & Wesson. Send it to them and they will make it work perfectly. They repaired and retimed mine for less than the gunsmith can buy the parts for. This is classic worn/out of time symptoms, it would take some AWFUL ammo to bother a K frame smith. The Winchester and S&B ammo is plenty good enough to be dependable in that S&W. Good Luck
    ^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^ S&W customer service is some of the BEST .... IMHO ..... :twocents:

marv

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Gatchel, IN
    You might check the recoil shields, on both sides. They may be rough or bent. I had that problem with a M10 from J&G. Took it to my local 'smith. He fixed it for a lot less than shipping would have cost.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I've checked the cylinder gap and the recoil shields and I think I can rule them out. I'm starting to think it's a timing issue too, so maybe a call to S&W is in order. The reason I think timing may be the culprit was that if I fired it single-action, slowly then it would work. On my first cylinder of the S&B ammo that did give me an initial problem, I was firing double-action. Does that make sense? I didn't go back and try that with the WWB, but maybe I should have.

Will it matter to S&W that I'm not the original owner? I'm guessing not.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    S&W does not really care that you are not the original owner. Repairing and retiming a worn revolver is not a warranty issue anyway. Good Luck

speedsix

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    fort wayne
    I had similar problems with reloads but never factory ammo. Sounds like the the cases are not fully seated or are moving during recoil somehow.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    S&W does not really care that you are not the original owner. Repairing and retiming a worn revolver is not a warranty issue anyway. Good Luck
    Do you remember how much you paid to have yours done? I'm thinking this will be the way for me to go.

Top Bottom