• ...and so much more!
  • INDYTEX

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    INDY
    Tried a search but it returned no results.....:dunno:

What are your thoughts on the S&W 642? I am thinking of getting one as a backup to my Glock 23. Thanks for your thoughts!

huawilso

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    New Castle, In
    I have a Smith & Wesson 642 and a 442 they are great cc handguns. In my opinion they are great backup guns. If you purchase one you will find out they are not fun to shoot, but when it comes to saving your life your not looking for something fun. :draw:

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    Great little pistol to have as a back or main ccw pistol. They are nice quality and pretty light.
    Good for the pocket or IWB.

I would recommend one to anyone.

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    Get one, you won't be sorry. For BUG a 642 can't be beat. Ankle, pocket, IWB, any way you can carry a gun is easy with a 642. +P kicks pretty good, practice with midrange wadcutters most of the time. Also the after market grips, holsters,etc. tha are available are many.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    i have a 642 as well. great pocket/back up gun. very unpleasant to shoot though, esp with the +P ammo. if you want a cc revolver in a decent caliber, you cant go wrong. only real complaint is the extremely heavy trigger. but i have learned to deal with it.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    They make a for a great hide out gun, nothing to catch on your clothing, no exposed hammer you can shoot rite though a pocket, Great little guns like huawilso said they arnt fun to shoot for a whole lot, but they are not meant for that, just save your life at a close distance.

HK Guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I'm going to go against the grain on this one.

I carried my 2" barreled, concealed hammer (638 I think) Smith Airweight for a number of years a a BUG until I saw the light. I ended up switching to a Glock 26 and have never looked back.

With the Smith I was limited to 5 rounds of out of a gun that had rudimentary sights (5 yards at best), with the Glock I've got 11 rounds of 9mm that I can (and have) shot a full combat course with.

To me the G26 is a waaaaay better gun. In your case you might want to look at the G27 which will take G23 mags...

hc4sar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    cent IN.
    i carry my 642 7 days a week and love it ! carry load are hydroshocks. idon't consider the recoil too bad but then they are not norma 125gr factory loads either. like every one else has said,lots of holsters to choose from. if you think the trigger is too heavy then get a trigger job i did.the little 642 is a great ccw gun. :twocents:

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I agree with HK Guy. In your case you may be better served by going with one of the Baby Glocks in the same caliber as your primary, so you will not have to carry two types of ammo.

I currently carry a 642 as my primary on my 30 mile bicycle commute and really like the light weight and the ability to carry the CCI Shotshells.

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    I just shot my 642 this afternoon. Mostly range ammo but also a few +P Gold Dots, just to remember what they felt like. If you've never fired a small, lightweight revolver, don't get discouraged after the first range trip. They are a different animal and take a good amount of practice to become proficiant with. Once mastered, they are a great carry piece.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    I'm going to go against the grain on this one.

I carried my 2" barreled, concealed hammer (638 I think) Smith Airweight for a number of years a a BUG until I saw the light. I ended up switching to a Glock 26 and have never looked back.

With the Smith I was limited to 5 rounds of out of a gun that had rudimentary sights (5 yards at best), with the Glock I've got 11 rounds of 9mm that I can (and have) shot a full combat course with.

To me the G26 is a waaaaay better gun. In your case you might want to look at the G27 which will take G23 mags...

i agree. i normally carry my Sigma 9mm (1+16) or my PT145 (1+10). but there are times when those guns are not reasonable options. i like the idea of a revolver because i dont have to worry as much about any sort of malfunction. and i can put a j-frame in any pants pocket without a problem, especially in warm weather.

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    Exchanging the standard boot grips with Pachmyer Compact grips will help. The extra cushioning and longer grip make the 642 easier to control.
    The Crimson Trace 305 grips are also a great option. Like the Pachmyers, they're cushioned and longer.... and that little red dot helps my aging eyesight.
    Both my wife and I carry and shoot these little revolvers. At 20 feet, we can tear up a six inch Dirty Bird target.

coletrane811

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Noblesville
    I carry a 442 most days in the summer (G19) in the winter. I love it! Very comfortable and it's got Crimson Trace grips. Puts your accuracy out quite a ways. I've carried G26's and the 442 beats the hell out of it. Obviously, the Glock will carry more ammo, but throwing a speed loader in the pocket is easy and now you're up to 10 rds. That's my input :)

Hope it helps!

Last edited:

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    I carry a 442 alot and i have shot it alot .
    I love it one of my favorite guns for carry

As far as how accurate it is , first its a backup or cc gun with a 1 7/8 barrel not a target gun ,that being said ,
    When shooting +P rounds it is a handful , with standard .38 special rounds it is acctually a suprisingly accurate gun .
    and once you get used to it the +P load is easier to handle .

You can carry whatever gun any so called EXPERT tells you is best for CC
    But until you take it out and put several hundred rounds through it to make it basically become part of you .you are essentially packing a brick with you .

I personally recommend the Jframe to anyone and everyone as a carry piece .
    One thing about a wheel gun , it goes bang each and everytime you pull the trigger ...:draw::patriot:

Top Bottom