• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ramick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Huntington
    Well I dove into the .44 magnum world head first, with the purchase of a new 629 classic. And was wondering If any of you guys and gals would like to post some of your opinions of the 629 and any other .44s for that matter. Also any upgrades or mods you have found to be worth while would be great, thanks.

parson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    I owned one for several years and liked it a lot. It did take a toll on my ears while deer hunting without ear protection. Mine was the magna-port model with 6" barrel.

Truth is, the older I get, the less powerful my handguns become. But the 629 is a great revolver.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    As I have stated before, and I shall repeat until I'm dead....You can never go wrong with a Smith and Wesson revolver! Good for you, and many years of shooting!

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Well I dove into the .44 magnum world head first, with the purchase of a new 629 classic. And was wondering If any of you guys and gals would like to post some of your opinions of the 629 and any other .44s for that matter. Also any upgrades or mods you have found to be worth while would be great, thanks.

I got the bug too. Picked up a 6" then this Mountain Gun. Not the best picture.

sw629x.jpg

Last edited:

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    They look so...
    ...right.

And the heft helps them shoot as well as they look.

I'm down to one revolver (combat magnum), and it is nice and light, but 357 loads are a bit harsh.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Congrats!

Which 629 did you get (-1, -2, etc)?

Count me in for two- A 6" nickel 29-3 and a 6" stainless full lug 629-5. I personally think the 629-5 is the best 44 mag ever made. Balance, accuracy and overall handling cannot be beat. Although Smith went to mim in that series, it didn't hurt and only improved an already excellent platform. This was also the last series with no lock.

As to mods- none. Just a good grease job on the trigger and internals. Past that, I can't see how I can improve on them "as-is" from the factory. But I confess to a heavy Smith bias- but its bias by experience.

fastwally

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Peru
    I love my 29 classic, probably the most accurate handgun I own for 50 rounds. After that I get a little shaky with the big bore.:): The only thing I've added is some Hogue grips.

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    I got a 29-2 stainless 8 3/8 barrel no mods no need to but accessories I got speed loaders and the Dirty Harry collection

herby31

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2010
    fort wayne

i recommend that you go get bent, ramick. lol jk enjoy the hand cannon, harry!

Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    My first revolver was a 629 with 8 3/8" barrell - Like an idiot I sold it.:xmad: I could drive tacks with the thing off hand - most accurate revolver I have owned.

I now own two 629 smiths - one is a Classic Deluxe full lug 6" with a Leupold scope and the other is a regular 629-4 with 6" barrell I won off gunbroker ANIB for $450:cool:. Love them both.

Top Bottom