Ruger 77/44 accuracy. Am I expecting too much?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    Awhile back I bought a Ruger 77/44 on a whim because I thought it would be a great deer carbine. When I got it I lapped the rings and mounted a Leupold 1x4 shotgun scope thinking it would be perfect for the intended use which would be a woods rifle for ranges up to 100 yards. Until recently I haven't had much time to shoot it. I began at the indoor range at 75 feet just to make sure it was on paper. No problem. I do not have pictures of those targets but here she is:

IMG_4231.JPG

I then went to the outdoor 25 yard range to make sure it was still on paper and sighted in with Federal AE 240 gr JHP. I also took along a Winchester 70 in 30-06 that has been sitting around unused, never fired by me and checked that at 25 yards. Then I moved to the 100 yard range to really sight the Ruger in. I started with the Federal AE ammo. The target is below. I was using the top two and middle for point of aim. Seeing the result I didn't bother keeping track of which was aimed at which bullseye. I also brought along some handloads. One was Hornady 240gr XTP with 23.5gr of H110 and a C.O.L. of 1.60. The other was with Beartooth 250gr WFNGC sized .432 with 24.0gr of H110 and C.O.L. of 1.60. Both of those handloads went about 2.5 - 3 feet high over the target so groups are unknown. I was so irritated I took out the Winchester 70 just to see if I could shoot a durn rifle. Having only shot 3 rounds with that in my life and at 25 yards only 1/2 hour before I quickly fired a 100 round group that isn't too bad. Those 3 shots were using the lower right as point of aim and are circled and marked. Again, it wasn't totally sighted in. That eliminated excessive shooter error I think.

IMG_4232.JPG

Fast forward a week and the outdoor range was again visited. This time at 50 yards with factory ammo. I didn't have time to load more and after looking at the manual again Ruger says to inform them of accuracy with factory loads only. I did not want to start messing with the thing and only fiddled with the action screws thinking I may send it back to Ruger. The first target at 50 yards was with Herter's as is written on the target. Not too good in my opinion.

IMG_4234.JPG

Next up was Winchester White Box at 50 yards. Not impressive either.

IMG_4235.JPG

The very best group I could muster was with Federal AE shown below at 50 yards.

IMG_4236.JPG

Now I got this thing not expecting a tack driver. I would be happy with 4" groups at 100 yards which is the max range I would intend to use it at and the 44 mag is quite capable up to that range and maybe more. I have spent days reading everything I can about accurizing these things and have read all of the followoing.... Bolt shims. New trigger spring and sear, action screws, bedding, fire lapping and even that they have long chambers. If you handload long enough to be accurate it is a single shot since the ammo won't fit in the mag. I"m not sure I even want to mess with it anymore and just use my accurate muzzleloaders or a rifled shotgun. I was thinking of contacting Ruger but may just get rid of it.

Mr.Softball

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Perry County
    I now a guy that had the same problem, he bedded the stock and did all the bullet test and hand loads with no luck he sold it at a gun show. He said he would not sell it to anyone just to a dealer. If you like it I would suggest talking to Ruger they are a stand up company.

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    I don't think you are asking to much. It should shoot better than those groups assuming no operator error.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    My M77/357 is a tack driver with Blazer Brass 158gr hollow points. My girlfriends dad has the m77/44 and with Hornady LeverRevolution and it is a in and a half gun at 50 yards all day long.

When was the last time you gave your guns barrel a very thorough cleaning?

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    You might try removing the scope and using iron sights or try another scope just to rule out a bad scope

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    The gun barrel has been cleaned after every shooting session. I have thought about removing the scope and trying again before doing anything else. I have no plans to bed or modify it in any way because I would contact Ruger before doing so. Thanks.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I just picked one up today... I'll be out shooting it soon and I'll let you know. I was advised however about certain grain weights and things pushing hard on accuracy outcomes. Bad enough the guy was thinking he had a bad gun/scope/ammo some sort of issue with 2 people shooting it. He switched to 240 grain projectiles and he was shooting well. Just a thought, I don't know what you are shooting now and not from personal experience but I was cautioned of this very thing today.

I bought a couple boxes of 240 grain Hornady XTPs... I'll try to report back and let you know how it goes!

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    A couple of friends have been shooting them for the last ten years. Both friends have taken deer with good success. I have shot both and accuracy is ok but not sub moa at 50 yards, but decent groupings none the less.

dekeshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Bunker Hill
    My 77/44 likes 240 gr. XTP's and 240 gr. Nosler Sporting Hangun bullets above anything else. With these two bullets, my rifle shoots about 1.5 MOA. With lighter bullets, I struggle to shoot 3-4 inch groups at 100 yards. I use Accurate Arms#9 and keep a good bit below max loads.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Mounted the scope tonight, I'll shoot it one night this week and see how mine groups.

bigbaloo95

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2014
    wolcottville
    Try the hornady 240gr factory loads. I have shot several .44 rifles that shoot these best as far as factory loads go. That being said you should expect 2-3 in 100 yard groups with a load it likes. Model 77's are well known for their lawyer proof triggers so if you plan on keeping it that's probably the first thing to have a gunsmith look at. Mine breaks at 5lbs and it ain't no accutrigger that's for sure.

Top Bottom