• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    98% of gun owners aren't like even the rarest shooter on the boards here. I have several coworkers with rifles that get 1-5 shots to sight in before deer season and fewer than that during deer season and that's it. Several more have handguns and literally cannot remember the last time they were shot. "Some carry wear, only 20 rounds through it"

All else aside, remember that a salesperson will say whatever it takes to make the sale. never believe it until you see it and verify the condition. How many used car salesman jokes or "what craigslist ads really mean" can we come up with?

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    i'm a competitive shooter, the only time any of my guns see any "range time" is sighting in/function firing a new gun.
    my USPSA open gun has had 10's of 1000's of rounds put through it. (ive shot the same open gun since the mid '90's)

currently at approx 2500 rounds each through my MKIV 22/45, and mossberg 715T rifle.

glock 27 has only had 500 or so rounds through it in over 20 years.
    win 1300 has had 1000's of rounds, in competition, through it over the years.
    i have a couple long guns that belonged to my dad, nether has had more than 500 rounds through them in 60 years.

:cheers:

Reverend Dreed

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2016
    new hope
    before I became the club president we shot weekly now not so much as it seems when at the range there are things that require my attention. I own several handguns and an ar that are unfired as we have not gone shooting in over 8 months.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have several Glocks that I have accumulated. I take them out, fire a couple of mags and then remember why I never liked them to begin with, so back in the box they go...

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have several Glocks that I have accumulated. I take them out, fire a couple of mags and then remember why I never liked them to begin with, so back in the box they go...

1. That was funny!
    2. I just sell ones I don't like the same week, or maybe the next week, if buying a different grip doesn't help (Smith 642). :laugh:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Yeah, generally once I buy something I never get rid of it. The wife kind of frowns on that but I like to point out it makes it very unlikely I will ever get rid of her either.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    98% of gun owners aren't like even the rarest shooter on the boards here. I have several coworkers with rifles that get 1-5 shots to sight in before deer season and fewer than that during deer season and that's it. Several more have handguns and literally cannot remember the last time they were shot. "Some carry wear, only 20 rounds through it"

All else aside, remember that a salesperson will say whatever it takes to make the sale. never believe it until you see it and verify the condition. How many used car salesman jokes or "what craigslist ads really mean" can we come up with?

I shoot my rifles way less than handguns. I've got a bolt action .22 mag that I mounted a scope on several years ago and haven't shot to sight in the scope. I'm not even 100% sure I shot it before mounting the scope.

I thought I'd shoot my 10-22 a lot, because .22 and cheap and lightweight and cheap and fun and cheap...but I don't.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I shoot my rifles way less than handguns. I've got a bolt action .22 mag that I mounted a scope on several years ago and haven't shot to sight in the scope. I'm not even 100% sure I shot it before mounting the scope.

I thought I'd shoot my 10-22 a lot, because .22 and cheap and lightweight and cheap and fun and cheap...but I don't.

My 8 year old daughter runs the snot out of my/her 22's! They see an easy 1000k rounds a month each on "her" 10/22 and mp15-22.
    Easily the most shot firearms in the house

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have maybe 25 hand guns. 6 I have yet to even shoot. In the last few years there has been a lot of rotation. This year I am pretty well set with th piecs I now have. Yes it is hard to wear anything out.

Holy crap! I can't imagine having that many handguns or any discipline of firearm. How in the heck would I ever decide which guns get to make the trip to the range? I struggle deciding what to take with me as it is.

Whenever I go to the range, I always have someone else with me. Depending who is going with me often dictates what guns go in my bag. I have had a few range trips that I only ran about 100rnds total while the others burned through the ammo.
    A couple years ago dad and I took my mom, my wife and daughter to the range. He and I shot a couple rifles and a few handgun rounds. But the ladies burnt through 2 bricks of . 22lr ammo.

I don't have any specific amount of rounds that I feel I need to run per trip. I tend to try and be more concerned with quality of skills exercised rather than quantity. I do also try to get at least one training class per year. Those trips I often go alone since the focus is on skill building or developing a new skill(s).

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Holy crap! I can't imagine having that many handguns or any discipline of firearm. How in the heck would I ever decide which guns get to make the trip to the range? I struggle deciding what to take with me as it is.
    Whenever I go to the range, I always have someone else with me. Depending who is going with me often dictates what guns go in my bag. I have had a few range trips that I only ran about 100rnds total while the others burned through the ammo.
    A couple years ago dad and I took my mom, my wife and daughter to the range. He and I shot a couple rifles and a few handgun rounds. But the ladies burnt through 2 bricks of . 22lr ammo.
    I don't have any specific amount of rounds that I feel I need to run per trip. I tend to try and be more concerned with quality of skills exercised rather than quantity. I do also try to get at least one training class per year. Those trips I often go alone since the focus is on skill building or developing a new skill(s).

1. I keep track of how much ammo I go through at the range: 250-300 rounds per trip.
    2. I don't have to be in a hurry since I pay for a membership and it is never crowded and don't have to run me out after an hour. (only 6 lanes, but only $13/mo.)
    3. It usually is a 2 hour turn-around with 1.5 in the range and maybe 2 hrs. if I have an agenda/mission to accomplish. :laugh:
    4. I'm sitting here debating whether to go today b/c I have neglected my revolvers and want time with just them.
    5. I'm down to only 3, 4 if you count the Ruger SP100 that I'm supposed to get back from S/W replacing the one I sent in with a new one (still waiting after 2 months) that I plan to sell.
    6. I do have two .357s also that I want to run some .38s through. I have a box or two of .357s that I couldn't find the other day, which I need to do today.
    7. I need to mow grass and trim, so since the son and his wife are coming for grilling, I might not get around to the range today.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I remember when my youngest son (he is in his late 40's) and I began collecting military rifles. We went to the range with about 3 or 400 rounds of 30-06, 7.62 X 54R and also carried our EDC's and a couple of other handguns. We started with a 30-06 rifle (steel butt plate style). After about 10 ~ 20 rounds each we switched to one of the Russian rifles. Don't think each of us fired more than a dozen rounds before we decided our shoulders were sore and went to handguns!

Even though both of us enjoy shooting high power many of these rifles don't achieve high round counts. My old EDC, a Colt Double Eagle 45ACP has several thousand rounds through it, but my current Kimber Solo has just enough rounds of +P+ Hornady Critical Duty and Federal Premium HST, fired to insure reliability and to train me in accuracy and handling. Probably less than 2 ~ 300 rounds! We have several handguns and rifles in many calibers so enjoy shooting various guns like our Garands, carbines, AR's, K31 and other rifles as well as handguns.

So we have put very few rounds through many of our guns, although the military ones may have a substantial count.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I have plenty of firearms. There are 3 guns I always take to the range are my "gtw" gun which is my beretta 92fs and my frankenmonster ar. I also take my ruger mk3. I shoot 200 -250 rds through my Beretta and 80-100 through the ar. I get most of my fundamental practice with my mk3. I have a small ammo can I fill up with loose 22lr usually about 1000 rds and I shoot until I had enough or they need the lane. I have the all access pass at point blank. They know will let me shoot as long as i want or until they need he lane. I usually hang out for 3-4 hours between the range and just hanging out talking. Outside of my usual load out, I tend to take one fun gun just to change it up. my uzi or thee mini 30 tend to make the cut quite a bit.

Point being, knowing your primary weapons is paramount. You need to perfect your skills on the firearm you are most likely going to depend on. BUT, you also need to have a little fun every once in a while and enjoy different aspects of this industry. I love growing my collection. I have plenty of guns I haven't shot yet or even have ammo for. I have a majority of my guns that get brought out only a time or two a year and have less than 500 rds and rifles with less than 100. then My Beretta has about 4-5k , ar has about 2-3k and that little mk3 has 10k+ in the past year alone.

KDee

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2013
    Carmel
    I try to go the range weekly. Each time I go I take 2 -3 guns and 3 - 4 boxes of ammo. For each gun I tear the end flap off a box of ammo and write the date and gun on it. I take home those end flaps and enter them into my computer. I have a record of all rounds through all guns. At any given time I can tell how many rounds through each gun and how many total rounds I've shot for a specific time period. I love knowing the specifics. Of course, this doesn't work so well when buying a used gun but I just start it from zero so I know what I've done with each gun.

As you'd expect, my favorite guns have lots of rounds thru them and others have a low count.

Guardian65

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2018
    Kokomo
    Only one 9 mm that I take to range. Usually shoot 100-150 rounds. But just purchased a dry fire Laser training system and am eager to try it out.

Sterndern11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2018
    Zionsville
    I am a bit of both, I have a few guns that are have less of a purpose and are more expensive to shoot even when reloading like my winchester 44 lever or superblackhawk, but I keep them around as they are family heirlooms at this point. Both have seen extensive use in cowboy action by my father, uncle, and grandfather so have round counts well above 15k. But they have been lovingly maintained and you would be hard pressed to know it by looking.

I have some hunting rifles that get shot enough to ensure function, get dope and reloads figured, and scopes zeroed and tested. Maybe 2 or 3 50-round sessions. Then they get shot less than 10 times a year, hopefully at something.

Then I have some self defense oriented tools that get used, abused, cleaned, then used some more. I would say that per range session I run 1-300 rounds per gun and I usually bring 2 or 3 guns, so total ammo bill monthly racks up in a hurry, thank the lord for reloading! I have an SP01 tactical that now has almost 20k rounds down the tube and has not had a single hitch after break in, due for some cajunization soon as the trigger still sucks - creep city and 7+lbs SA. My dad has an identical gun with almost 60k rounds through it and has only needed springs and a guide rod so far. Those CZs are phenomenal for barrel and frame life. They both have amazing slide to frame tightness and accuracy, no noticeable looseness or group spreading (unless its the user making it spread). In the same category my EDC walthe PPS M2 and SW shield get constant use to stay sharp with handling and trigger reflex, usually 100-200 rounds per session. The CQB AR and 300BO get shot lots in short time frame with 3gun style practice and quick mag dumps at close range, 300 rounds in a hour is scary easy. The precision AR and 6.5CM precision get lots of time but low round counts in comparison due to much slower fire at much longer ranges, not abnormal to only shoot 50 rounds in a 2 hour session.

The ultra high round count awards go to the 22lr conversion kits, a CZ cadet and JP rifles 22 upper. I work with a finite budget and these little plinkers let me get triple the training in on the same ergonomics and trigger as my defense equipment. My best guess would be 30K rounds on the cadet and almost 100K on the JP-22. These things get blasted every range session, often over 1000 rounds between me and whoever else comes to the range (25rd mags go through it in a hurry) to plink steel. Both still run flawlessly with the right lube (lubriplate FGL-0) and decent ammo and the JP will still shoot 3/8" bolt heads every time at 55 yards.

Never feel bad about shooting too much! If it gets too expensive find a cheaper caliber but keep shooting! Shooting a 22lr at 200 yards is like shooting 223 at 800 or 1000 for drop and wind. If you have a good grip then recoil management on a 9mm needs a lot less practice than trigger squeeze for accuracy.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom